RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

Partner neuroshock

Aug 5, 2005, 6:54 AM
Post #1 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

border re-entry from squamish to seattle
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

though this is somewhat in regard to climbing in canada, my question is probably most applicable to those in washington state.

i'm thinking of going up to squamish for a long weekend over labor day. if i fly into sea-tac late friday night and drive up, i doubt it'll be much of a problem. it's the return to catch my return flight that worries me.

these days, how are things on the return to the US? is the border entry efficient? if i'm planning on a 11:30pm flight on Labor Day back home, how early would i have to cut my day short to be sure to make it? is that day a wash for all but bouldering? if it matters for the sake of border expediency, i'm a US citizen w/ (of course) a valid US passport.

i'm not flying into vancouver because the airfares i've found are well over $150 more than to seatac.

and if there's anyone that wants to boulder and do long moderate trad routes that weekend, i'd be more than happy to split the gas, buy drinks, etc!

thanks!

mike

pancaketom

Aug 5, 2005, 7:34 AM
Post #2 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Re: border re-entry from squamish to seattle [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I just crossed back into the US at the Sumas crossing around 9:30 am last Tuesday, and it took about a minute (1 car in front of us). 2 years ago crossing back into the US at the I-5 crossing took about an hour for me. I don't know if that helps at all for you, but it is a data point.

bobthegob

Aug 5, 2005, 9:15 AM
Post #3 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In my experience its always a ball ache crossing from Vancouver to Seattle (not so the other way). Lines of traffic on a normal day god knows what it will be like on Labour day. Leave plenty of time for the crossing regardless of where your passport is issued. BUT the good news is you're not restricted to bouldering for half a day or so. There loads of one pitch routes in the Smoke Bluffs next to the Chief. Have a great weekend.

rock_rookie

Aug 5, 2005, 9:54 AM
Post #4 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At the border on the I-5, on our way to Seattle last week, we waited about 25 minutes. But I'd say the Labor Day weekend is going to be busier at the border crossings than usual (long weekend = more travellers). Plus, there is a ton of highway construction between Vancouver and Squamish, in preparation for the 2010 Olympics being held in Whistler. We were in Squamish in May and again a few weeks ago; both times the road work caused major traffic delays.

Travel safe and have a great time there!

vanclimber

Aug 5, 2005, 12:36 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To get from Squamish to Vancouver normally takes 1 hour, factoring in slow traffic and road work. To get from Vancouver to SeaTac normally takes 3 hours. This can vary slightly depending on Seattle traffic and how fast you drive. Border waits southbound (at the Peace Arch) obviously vary wildly, from 10 minutes to an hour, but I have had luck in the outside lane (not the nexus lane). So in order to make your domestic flight to Chicago (arrive at SeaTac 1 hour ahead of depature) at 11:30pm I would leave Squamish no later than 5:30 pm. You shouldn't hit too much traffic on I-5 but 99 might be a bit of a mess at that time.

My numbers are all based on personal experience. I drive to and from Squamish (from Vancouver) 2 times a week around the same time you have to leave, and I have driven to Seattle maybe a dozen times at different times of the day. I am actually driving there this sunday so if I have any new experiences as far as traffic and dring times I will post them.

Partner neuroshock

Aug 5, 2005, 6:38 PM
Post #6 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

thanks so much for the info! i do appreciate it :)

Partner j_ung

Aug 5, 2005, 7:06 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...god knows what it will be like on Labour day.

I've never done the crossing, but that's probably the most important point in the thread so far. Late Labor Day, you damn sure won't be alone trying to get back.

scrapedape

Aug 6, 2005, 2:49 AM
Post #8 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to make the trip between Vancouver and Seattle a lot, though not usually heading south on a Sunday night. Normally, I'd allow an hour from Squamish to Vancouver and 3 hours from Vancouver to Seattle. Since it's a long weekend I'd allow 90 minutes for the border and an hour or so for miscellaneous delays. Since you need to arrive an hour early, I'd say leave Squamish by 4 pm. It might be overkill, but better safe than sorry.

I'd strongly recommend taking the truck crossing. It's at least as fast as the Peace Arch crossing, and usually faster. I'd also recommend avoiding the Lions Gate Bridge and downtown Vancouver. To do this, when you come back from Squamish and go through Horseshoe Bay, you'll end up on the Upper Levels Highway. Stay on this freeway (#1) all the way along the North Shore, across the Second Narrows Bridge, and eventually across the Port Mann Bridge. About 5 minutes after the Port Mann Bridge, take the exit for 176th St southbound. Follow 176th St right to the truck crossing. This will allow you to avoid central Vancouver, which is all urban streets and no freeways. And I can guarantee you that you don't want to be trying to cross the Lions Gate Bridge at 5pm on Labour Day. That itself would take an hour, minimum.

squishclimber

Aug 6, 2005, 6:11 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I fly up from LA to Vancouver at least four times a year and it is worth the extra money to fly into Van. You don't have to deal with the border crossings which can be a real pain in the ass or the drive from Seattle. You also save yourself anywhere from three to fours of travel time in each direction. Spend the money and relieve the stress of the unknowns!

kfox527

Aug 10, 2005, 1:48 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've easily waited 90 minutes at the truck crossing on a sunday night. I don.t think the Peace Arch is ever much better. A few years ago we got into going to the Sumas Crossing. It is farther west but often is so much quicker it makes up for the extra driving time. Plus comming down south that way and back to 5 near sedro wooley is SOOOO much nicer.
-Good Luck

Partner neuroshock

Sep 6, 2005, 10:26 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just thought i'd follow up with my actual experience.

went via Peace Arch and it took all of 20 minutes at 6:30pm on Labor Day.

not too shabby

vanclimber

Sep 6, 2005, 10:46 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just curious, what time did you leave Squamish at?

Partner neuroshock

Sep 6, 2005, 11:15 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2733 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i left the Apron climber's parking about 4:45pm (i know this only because my partner was late for work and realized it when we saw the car's clock)

got to SEA-TAC around 9pm after stopping to fill the rental car's tank.

the only "pain" i experienced was all the merging to get onto the bridge back to vancouver after exiting route 1. 4 lanes merging to just 1 on Labo(u)r Day!? who plans the traffic flow over there?

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook