RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

gumbygurl

Aug 12, 2005, 4:47 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Utah State Univ. and no climbing!?!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So its happening. Born and raised little country New Englander that I am, is moving to Logan, Utah next week! Even though technically this is to start graduate school we all know that year round climbing is whats doing it.

However, I have never been to Utah State University and was checking on line the clubs they have. Out of the like 15 billion there isn't a climbing club! (I even saw a chocolate lovers club) So I am moving to this. Who here is
A: Out there climbing all the time
B: Will tell me where I can find some good stuff around school
and/or C: Wouldn't mind taking me out and showing me the goods

I am mostly a sport junkie. Having Rumney NH and the plethora of sweet 5.10 climbs I am eager to see what else is out there.

Definitely don't be shy to drop me a PM either- thanks

grayhghost

Aug 12, 2005, 4:52 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Re: Utah State Univ. and no climbing!?! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

check here for routes
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...php?CountryStateID=1

check here for partners
http://www.utahclimbers.com/phpBB2/

musicman

Aug 12, 2005, 4:52 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, i've never climbed Logan Canyon, but i've seen picture, and it looks SWEET! I've also heard lots of good things about it and will hopefully take a little weekend trip up there. Logan gets super cold and snowy and blizzardy in the winter though, so if you're expecting year round climbing expect like a 5 hour drive to St George in the winter, or just down south there.

gumbygurl

Aug 12, 2005, 5:31 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks grayhghost

These links prove very useful

screamer

Aug 12, 2005, 5:38 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Logan canyon has lots of vertical techy 10's, 11's and some of the harder stuff too. Most hard stuff is in China Cave. Also Blacksmith Canyon (just to the south) has some great rifleesque climbing mostly 12's and 13's. Spring and Fall are the best, summers are hot, winters are cold and snowy. Logan is a cool little town, unfortunately only two bars, no liquor sales on sunday. Real beer is close by in Idaho. Don't fret everyone i know that went to school up there partyed hard, keggers up the canyon, naked women, jumping fires all that good stuff.

renohandjams

Aug 12, 2005, 6:25 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So its happening. Born and raised little country New Englander that I am, is moving to Logan, Utah next week! Even though technically this is to start graduate school we all know that year round climbing is whats doing it.

However, I have never been to Utah State University and was checking on line the clubs they have. Out of the like 15 billion there isn't a climbing club! (I even saw a chocolate lovers club) So I am moving to this. Who here is
A: Out there climbing all the time
B: Will tell me where I can find some good stuff around school
and/or C: Wouldn't mind taking me out and showing me the goods

I am mostly a sport junkie. Having Rumney NH and the plethora of sweet 5.10 climbs I am eager to see what else is out there.

Definitely don't be shy to drop me a PM either- thanks
AWESOME PLACE TO MOVE! The climbing is as close as 1-3 miles from campus and up the canyon I've heard there are almost 300 different routes, some as hard as 5.13 and I think there is a 5.14 up there, not that I could do them, but just a great small town with plenty of outdoor stuff to do.

Partner camhead

Aug 12, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Logan Canyon is good limestone.

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...mp.cgi?Detailed=6783

And City of Rocks is only two hours away, three hours to Maple Canyon, four hours to the Tetons, six to Indian Creek, etc. etc. etc.

Logan itself is getting a climbing gym this fall; the USU outdoor rec center has a closet of a climbing gym, but they were pretty slackin' on maintaining it when I was goingto school there.

smax

Aug 12, 2005, 9:06 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A little advice... when people in Utah complain about the bugs, try not to laugh out loud too much. Granted I haven't been to a lot of places in UT or ID, but if you like Rumney sport you should look into Wall St. in Moab and Sinks and Wild Iris in Lander, WY.

There's a lot of sport around these parts, but it's not in one little compact place like Rumney. Has it's +'s and -'s. It's a lot easier to get on a climb, but you need to drive and hike a little more. What I'm really impressed with around here is the bouldering. Even little Cottonwood makes Black Jack seem silly IMO.

alisonut

Aug 12, 2005, 9:44 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1331 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi,
I lived in Logan for a while and the climbing is great. I'm climbing there this Sun. If you want year round climbing that isn't ice your best bet may be to head to a place called Massacre Rocks in ID. Although it is N. it is basalt and low alt so attracts sun. A lot of people from Logan climb there in winter. Another great place is City of Rocks but it is quite different from Rumney. Send me an email when you get to town.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook