Premier Sponsor:

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 23, 2005, 2:28 AM
Post #1 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

freaks at the hostels
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've met LOTS (tons in fact) of cool dudes and dudettes at the hostels i've been (90% of which has been at the Squamish Hostel) but :tinfoilhat: afew "bunkies" have been nut jobs

ahem, my favorite nut job:

*Mr. Brown - Mr Brown liked to wear brown....in fact, everything i saw him wearing was brown...for three days....brown....shoes, sandles, socks, pants, hats, etc...his umbrella?????BROWN.....suitcase?brown....majority was a lite colored POOp brown...AND HE NEVER SPOKE A WORD!!!!!!!....three fuckin days we bunked in the dorm....not a word...most non climbers would see me with my rack (cleaning, sorting, etc) and ask afew (ussually) very intelligent questions of climbing and trad.....Mr. Brown?nothing......though one night he scared the shit out of me...i was reading late one night, and i dimed the lights to the dorm....then i turned them out when i crashed..i'm woken up to Mr. Brown screaming in some un-recognizable language slamming the dimer/on-off switch with a fist unable to realize why the lights aren't coming on 100%...

jitbag

Aug 23, 2005, 2:59 AM
Post #2 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Re: freaks at the hostels [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Hahaha,,, I stayed at the Squamish Hostel for about a month earlier this summer, and ya I met a ton of really cool people, mostly. I ended up getting a room to myself for a few nights, then one evening I came back to my room to discover that I had a roomate. It was wierd cause he had a microwave. Skipping ahead a few hours, at 2am this big guy came in the room, pissed drunk, and woke me just to meet his new roomate, turns out he had just been kicked out of the dive hotel downtown, where he had been living for the past year. I got his whole life story,, even the details of his jail time blues. He kept me up till 430am, got locked out of the room 3 times, woke the people in the room next to me , accused me of stealing his room key, threatening to kill me, the list goes on and on. All the while he smelt so bad, stripping down to his see -through tighty whities every time he would leave the room and return to drink some more Cider.
I went from a sweet room to myself, to Hell!
The next day he got the Boot.

androids

Aug 24, 2005, 4:01 AM
Post #3 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dude, i had some incredibly overweight woman in the same room as me at the alpine club in canmore last year, sat up crying all night and starring at the wall, then me then the wall, creeped me out . then in the morning she was threatening to sue the hostel for making her climb up and down a ladder! i said "its the fucking alpine club ,people 'round here climb a hell of a lot more than ladders!" damn i hate people.

Partner philbox

Aug 24, 2005, 5:38 AM
Post #4 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

philbox moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

philbox moved this thread from General to Community.

timstich

Aug 24, 2005, 12:29 PM
Post #5 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This absolutely makes a van down by the river sound like a lil' slice of heaven.

strongbad

Aug 24, 2005, 12:43 PM
Post #6 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd start to get worried when you bunk with Mr. Blonde.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/...ael_madsen/dogs2.jpg

marcallain

Aug 24, 2005, 2:05 PM
Post #7 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't remember getting weirdos. I do remember one night at the ACC in Canmore...

Anyways i was in bed having a hard time sleeping, then around 2 am, 2 Scandinavian girls and this guy shows up. Guy heads to bed, one of the girls starts rummaging through her bag or something, then she bends over to pick something up and BAM! face full of undieless poonani! It was a full moon that night! I guess she thought I was sleeping or something. I was sleeping well after that until buddy that showed up with them starts snoring like a chainsaw. Next thing you know 4-5 guys start throwing pillows at him to make him keep quiet.

Good times, good times!

winter

Aug 24, 2005, 4:27 PM
Post #8 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to think hostels were cool.
NOw, yuck. I would so much rather stay in my tent... or fork out for a motel, which is often cheaper and you get your own bathroom. I can't stand listening to the same old travel stories at every single one, gets a little boring and monotonous. I have having to smile and pretend to be nice to peopel that I couldnt' care less about. Last hut I stayed in I thought I was going to poke my eyes out the snoring was so bad. And the spooning from strangers. Bleh.

qdiggety

Aug 24, 2005, 4:30 PM
Post #9 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Random strangers in the hallway whispering "hashish, hashish, you want hashish?" as you walked by........
Yeah, hostels are interesting.......

hangerlessbolt

Aug 24, 2005, 4:34 PM
Post #10 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Random strangers in the hallway whispering "hashish, hashish, you want hashish?" as you walked by........
Yeah, hostels are interesting.......

Did you get anyone to buy off ya?

qdiggety

Aug 24, 2005, 4:41 PM
Post #11 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Nope..... No success there.....

hangerlessbolt

Aug 24, 2005, 4:42 PM
Post #12 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Nope..... No success there.....

Well, give me a head's up next time...I didn't recognize you

qdiggety

Aug 24, 2005, 4:48 PM
Post #13 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well, give me a head's up next time...I didn't recognize you

No problem-o..... It happens even to the best customers on occasion.

sim

Aug 24, 2005, 4:50 PM
Post #14 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was that guy one night at a hostel.

Some how the time on my watch ended up being set about 3 hours early. Alarm went off, banged on my climbing partners room to wake them, packed my gear and got to the kitchen before I realized my mistake. The clock on the wall explained why it was still so dark.. Didn't think going back to the room, waking my room-mates again would have gone over well. Ooops. My climbing partners couldn't figure out why someone was banging on their door as some crazy hour and stayed in bed.

scrapedape

Aug 24, 2005, 5:00 PM
Post #15 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I met my girlfriend at a hostel in Sydney. Now we live together. :D

overlord

Aug 24, 2005, 8:10 PM
Post #16 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'd start to get worried when you bunk with Mr. Blonde.

http://us.movies1.yimg.com/...ael_madsen/dogs2.jpg

i think hes kinda cool. hates cops, but who doesnt :P

kachoong

Aug 24, 2005, 10:03 PM
Post #17 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've met LOTS (tons in fact) of cool dudes and dudettes at the hostels i've been (90% of which has been at the Squamish Hostel) but :tinfoilhat: afew "bunkies" have been nut jobs
....I basically lived at Squamish Hostel for 12 weeks in late 97 (when it was the old one) and again for 8 weeks in June/July 98.... great place.... what's the new one like? Does Gord still own it?
....I hate the snorers you get in Hostels.... somehow they seem to congrugate there.... I heard one guy in a Hostel in Christchurch fall from his top bunk while he was snoring.... making a "Hkkkhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurplmmmkkkhhhhhh" sound as he sailed through the air and continued to snore upon hitting the deck.... How does something like that happen?

timstich

Aug 25, 2005, 12:48 AM
Post #18 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...And the spooning from strangers. Bleh.

We like spooooons!

http://img.photobucket.com/...ken/SaladFingers.jpg

Partner tattooed_climber

Aug 25, 2005, 6:50 AM
Post #19 of 19 (1375 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
....I basically lived at Squamish Hostel for 12 weeks in late 97 (when it was the old one) and again for 8 weeks in June/July 98.... great place.... what's the new one like? Does Gord still own it?
....I hate the snorers you get in Hostels.... somehow they seem to congrugate there.... I heard one guy in a Hostel in Christchurch fall from his top bunk while he was snoring.... making a "Hkkkhhhhuuuuuuuuuuuuuuurplmmmkkkhhhhhh" sound as he sailed through the air and continued to snore upon hitting the deck.... How does something like that happen?

no...gord had to sell...or something like that...i've heard lots of rumours...one was that there was this investors group thingy....invested...wanted to sell when the highway wanted it, highway exspansion then didn't want it...investors bailed...and gord was fucked and had to sell (investors renoed then bailed idea).....but thats just ONE of the stories...

anywho..no gord...i only stayed there once before reno when i was a bouldered and before my gear got ripped...

its ok now...i've been to better hostels....but its cool...i get a student discount there...nice staff....afew hotties workin there that are willing to go out of their way when a sexy long haired climber with some ice tools on his pack and a rack hangin from his shoulder comes stumbling in....lifes good 8^)

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook