RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

granite_grrl

Aug 23, 2005, 1:57 PM
Post #1 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

resizing a photo and keeping the clarity
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I just resized a photo using the software that came with my canon camera. I look at it and it looks fuzzier than it should. Comparing it to the original it seems to have lost some of its quality.

Is this a software issue or a photo issue? Is there something that I'm not doing while resizing the photo? Any other programs that you'd recomend using? (free demos or full downloads from the internet?).

singe

Aug 23, 2005, 2:33 PM
Post #2 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Re: resizing a photo and keeping the clarity [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

if your software includes some sort of sharpening function, you may want to look into it. if not, you can check out GIMP. it's an open-source photoshop-esque application that probably contains something like photoshop's USM (i haven't used GIMP in a while, though, so take that with a grain of salt).

grayrock

Aug 23, 2005, 3:36 PM
Post #3 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

granite_grrl
You said "it looks fuzzier than it should." Are you looking at a photo or are you looking at in on your monitor?

If you are reducing the photo in size, see if your software will allow a resample or some option to improve resolution for printing.

For most monitors these days you only need a resolution of about 75 – 100 dpi depending on your graphics card. A monitor won’t generally display the clarity you can get with a print if your printer will deliver say 300 dpi or better.

atarinaper

Aug 23, 2005, 4:05 PM
Post #4 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

fuzziness as in pixlation? or loss of sharpening.

granite_grrl

Aug 23, 2005, 6:13 PM
Post #5 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

atarinaper - I beleive loss of sharpening. I have the photo in question pending to be approved for this site. I was going to delete it but thought it might be good to try tp post it along with this thread.

grayrock - I am only looking at it on my monitor. I say that it has lost it's sharpness in compaison to the original photo before resizing. It seems less focased.

If I have time I'll mess around with my camera software again tonight and see if I can get better results.

Partner coldclimb

Aug 23, 2005, 6:35 PM
Post #6 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Got the pic approved. It's likely a side-effect of the program's resizing method. I use Paint Shop Pro, which has several different methods to choose from to resize, each of which will give you varying quality results. My suggestion is to find a good graphics program that will do what you want well. Those usually cost money though, so the choice is yours. :) I can recommend either Jasc Paint Shop Pro or Adobe Photoshop. PSP is easier and cheaper, but if you ever get really serious it's not as powerful in the higher end of the photo editing spectrum.

jbak

Aug 23, 2005, 6:43 PM
Post #7 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just resized a photo using the software that came with my canon camera. I look at it and it looks fuzzier than it should. Comparing it to the original it seems to have lost some of its quality.

Is this a software issue or a photo issue? Is there something that I'm not doing while resizing the photo? Any other programs that you'd recomend using? (free demos or full downloads from the internet?).

IF it's a jpeg file, any modification followed by a save causes a re-compression which loses some data. If your re-size program has a jpeg quality selection, make sure you select a pretty high quality factor when you resave the file. The default may not be too good.

granite_grrl

Aug 23, 2005, 7:31 PM
Post #8 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Okay, here's the photo in question:

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=59845

One of the main things that I like about the original is the sharpness of the background. In this resized version I find the photo to be...well, lacking :? not a horrible photo, but certainly nothing special.

I'll try to see if its a saving format issue, because it is a jpg file, and see if there are any other things to play with in the program that I missed.

Anybody else used the software that comes with a canon A95 (and I'm sure many other canon cameras)? It's ArcSoft PhotoImpression 5.

aikibujin

Aug 23, 2005, 7:44 PM
Post #9 of 9 (1777 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Looks like a software issue, either the software you're using is not doing a good job of resizing (ever tried to resize a photo with Microsoft Photo Editor? Argh!), or you're not utilizing your photo editing software to its fullest. If you like, you can e-mail me the original photo, I'll resize it with Photoshop when I get home this evening, and you can compare the two results.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook