Partner philbox

Aug 31, 2005, 5:11 AM
Post #1 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Hurricane Katrina, what you can do.
Report this Post
Can't Post

"To all members and visitors of RockClimbing.com:

Unless you've been stuck in the most remote parts of the world, removed from the news, you've seen and heard of the destruction in Louisiana as a result of Hurricane Katrina. This storm ranks as one of the strongest to strike the US in recorded history, and the devastation is vast. Families will return to nothing; buildings are either washed away or destroyed beyond salvage; food and water suitable for consumption is scarce. It is, quite honestly, a horrific disaster.

As climbers, we have a tendency to buckle down a bit and help out when we can. It's not unique to climbers, as the desire to help a fellow man (or woman) is an inherently HUMAN trait.

But that help must be coordinated, focused, and need-driven. Otherwise, it's not really help at all.

Without dissent, the experts in disaster relief agree: The single best thing to donate is money. This allows those on the ground at the disaster to buy the items needed, and prevents a stockpiling of unneeded items.

The following is a list of charities that will put your monetary donation to good use. (And, for those that ask, the American Red Cross is not the same as the International Committee of the Red Cross, so you can rest easy if your politics don't jive with the ICRC.)

· American Red Cross, 800-HELP-NOW (435-7669) English, 800-257-7575 Spanish.

· America's Second Harvest, 800-344-8070.

· Adventist Community Services, 800-381-7171.

· Catholic Charities USA, 800-919-9338.

· Christian Disaster Response, 941-956-5183 or 941-551-9554.

· Christian Reformed World Relief Committee, 800-848-5818.

· Church World Service, 800-297-1516.

· Convoy of Hope, 417-823-8998.

· Lutheran Disaster Response, 800-638-3522.

· Mennonite Disaster Service, 717-859-2210.

· Nazarene Disaster Response, 888-256-5886.

· Operation Blessing, 800-436-6348.

· Presbyterian Disaster Assistance, 800-872-3283.

· Salvation Army, 800-SAL-ARMY (725-2769).

· Southern Baptist Convention Disaster Relief, 800-462-8657, Ext. 6440.

· United Methodist Committee on Relief, 800-554-8583.

The idea of donating used rope and rigging gear, while noble, is replete with complications (the biggest being safety issues.) Indeed, it would be a monumental task to just identify WHERE to send such gear once it arrived in the needed areas. For this, and other reasons, we can't support the donation of gear. Certainly, if such an effort were undertaken, you've the right to give as you see fit, but consider the ramifications of that concept.

RC.com will be leaving this post on the front page for a two weeks, perhaps longer, in order to help do our part to give to those in need.

This is not a time for petty arguments. This is not a time for personality clashes. This is not a time for semantic differences. This is a time for all of us to come together as one, give what we can, and say "Here ya go... it ain't much, but maybe it will help."

This, friends, is a time to be human. Now, more than ever."

The above wording is compliments of our very own reno.

Phil Box

epic_ed

Aug 31, 2005, 6:21 AM
Post #2 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hurricane Katrina, what you can do. [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you, gentlemen, for putting this in the forefront. The coverage of the aftermath is heart-wrenching, and I'm sure that it does very little justice to convey the true and actual scale that this disaster has wrought. My toughts and prayer go out to all those affected.

Ed

Partner wideguy

Aug 31, 2005, 11:49 AM
Post #3 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good post but let's not forget Mississippi and Alabama, too. The devastation is not limited to one state.

reno

Aug 31, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #4 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're interested, there is a blog that is tracking donations to the disaster relief...

Interesting to see who's on the list and who isn't.

Also interesting to see some of the more creative ways corporations are helpig. Ford, for example, is allowing payment delays without penalty for loans in affected region. Home Depot has pledged 1.1 million in long term rebuilding help. Cingular Wireless has set up free emergency calling stations in region.

And so it goes... People helping people. Nice to see, for a change.

http://blog.simmins.org/...donations-begin.html

reno

Sep 1, 2005, 5:18 AM
Post #5 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you wish to donate to Katrina victims, you should read THIS Washington Post article first.

Believe it or not, there are scumbags out there trying to scam people out of money using the hurricane disaster as a pfishing scam.

Partner okie_redneck

Sep 1, 2005, 6:56 AM
Post #6 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just moved back home from Port Charlotte, FL. We got smacked the hardest by Hurricane Charley, so I have a really good idea of what they're going through. My roommate is STILL living in an RV in the driveway of our old house.
Anyone with access to an inflatable boat is in a position to do a lot of good. They're really chincy on gas, and they can get through just inches of water.
Money is great, but trust me, it takes a while to get to the people who need it. If you REALLY want to do some good, you should do it yourself. This tragedy is beyond anything the Government can handle. Those people you see on the news waving at the helicopters aren't saying "Hi". They need rescued, and the National Guard soldiers that are meant to handle these things are in Iraq forcing "freedom" on people who adamantly don't want it.
I wanted to take my dad's dinghy down there, but he didn't want me to hit something, pop it, and become a victim myself. I don't have enough credit to buy one, or I would.
Tgreene, after you get some pressing things situated, are the Normans still pledging?
I left for Charley. In Florida, we all still remember Andrew in Florida, and I don't know a single person who stayed for Charley. Everyone in Port Charlotte knew what a Cat4 hurricane could do. To be totally honest, there are a lot (not all) of people who simply ignored the warning for Katrina and stayed home. The ONLY reason they're still alive is that Katrina dropped down to Cat 4. It was Cat5, 175 mph, the day before. Let's put that in tornado terms: F3 Severe tornado 158-206 mph Roof and some walls torn off well constructed houses; trains overturned; most trees in forest uprooted.
That windspeed is about the maximum a skydiver will ever see. They lucked out. The Superdome had a couple tiles ripped off by appx. 100 mph winds. There were 10,000 people in there that would have been exposed if it had hit as a Cat5 storm. Things in the South are horrible, but let's be thankful that Katrina at least lost steam before she hit.
If you live in the area, you really may save someone's life with a boat.
As climbers, we all know that sometimes people get themselves in over their heads. We sometimes underestimate nature fatally. There's some people in the South who underestimated nature who have no access to clean water, food, or anything else. They don't need money right now. They'll need it later providing they don't succumb to exposure now.

reno

Sep 1, 2005, 7:37 AM
Post #7 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Anyone with access to an inflatable boat is in a position to do a lot of good. They're really chincy on gas, and they can get through just inches of water.
Money is great, but trust me, it takes a while to get to the people who need it. If you REALLY want to do some good, you should do it yourself.

No, you should not. The last thing needed in the NOLA area are more people who need food, water, a place to sleep, shelter, etc.

Well meaning, but untrained and uninformed, people going into a disaster scene does no good, and only hampers the coordinated rescue efforts.

In reply to:
This tragedy is beyond anything the Government can handle. Those people you see on the news waving at the helicopters aren't saying "Hi". They need rescued, and the National Guard soldiers that are meant to handle these things are in Iraq forcing "freedom" on people who adamantly don't want it.

Wrong. There are still well over 50% of the National Guardsmen and Guardswomen in the USA, for dealing with these sorts of things:

http://web.herald-zeitung.com/wire.lasso?report=/dynamic/stories/K/KATRINA_NATIONAL_GUARD

In reply to:
I wanted to take my dad's dinghy down there, but he didn't want me to hit something, pop it, and become a victim myself.

Your dad is wise.

In reply to:
There's some people in the South who underestimated nature who have no access to clean water, food, or anything else. They don't need money right now.

The easiest way to obtain food and water is to buy it. That requires money.

Every single disaster relief expert in the country agrees that the one item needed most is money. This will allow the agencies such as the Red Cross and Salvation Army and others to buy what is needed, rather than having to find someplace to put things people send, but are not needed.

Honest, folks... sending money is the best way to help. I sent my cashier's check today. Did you?

Partner okie_redneck

Sep 1, 2005, 9:18 AM
Post #8 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Reno, has your home ever been destroyed by a Category 4 hurricane? I doubt it. My old house is still destroyed. Money is worth shit-all if you're stuck on a roof with no food, potable water, or shelter praying that someone will comeand get you.
Some of us have experience with the water. I've lived over 2 years of my life on sailboats. I've gone over a month without seeing land. I've been in a hurricane, a microburst, and a waterspout at sea. I've spent my share of time in the Everglades. I can damn well handle an inflatable boat in a flood. There are a substantial number of civilians with boats rescuing people. I haven't heard anyone from the government complaining. In fact, the civilians in boats seemed welcome from what I saw.
Oh, I would have been able to take the Zodiac, but it has a semi-rigid hull. that means the floor is inflatable too. It's all but impossible to puncture, but much more vulnerable than other boats. My father considered taking it down there before I talked to him.
I'm telling you firsthand. The money you donate will take at least a couple weeks to actually get to anyone. Who remembers all of the complaints about the 9-11 money not actually getting to the victims in a timely manner?
Donating a power generator or filling up a U-haul with water and driving it down are immediate ways to help. This is not a problem that you can just throw money at and hope things will get better. This catastrophe is so bad that rescuers are ignoring dead bodies. The government absolutely does not have this under control.
Reno, some situations require personal involvement if an immediate result is desired. Think about that. I'm sure you're a good person and you mean well, but you don't seem to know how bad it can be after a major hurricane. As a climber, you know what it's like to be hot and thirsty. Old women and small children can't handle that sort of thing, and I garuntee there will be deaths tomorrow from exposure, dissentary, and dehydration that could be prevented by timely rescue.
Donating money IS a noble thing, though. The Red Cross will spend most of its resources on this, and it won't be able to respond to the next catastrophe without refilling its coffers.

reno

Sep 1, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #9 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Reno, has your home ever been destroyed by a Category 4 hurricane?

Okie, I'm not going to have this debate with you in this forum. This thread is for a listing of ways to donate, and not for debate.

But if you check your PMs, you'll be able to read my reply.

To end, I will say it again: EVERY MAJOR DISASTER RELIEF AGENCY is saying the same thing: "We need cash donations more than anything else." FEMA is imploring... DEMANDING... that people do not "self-dispatch" to the affected areas "trying to help." They (FEMA) are urging everyone not summoned through professional and official channels to stay the hell out.

Partner okie_redneck

Sep 2, 2005, 4:28 AM
Post #10 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I think reno and I were a lot closer to consensus than things above would appear. The situation has now deteriorated to the point that rescue operations have been halted due to civil unrest making attempts to evacuate stranded folks all but impossible. With things the way they are now, nothing will get me near that area until some control can be reestablished.
Tim, I know what you're going through. Appearantly, so does reno, despite my assumption to the contrary. I apologised in person, and am now doing so in public.
We didn't get any money for a while after Charley. I was a Boy Scout, so I kept water, a generator, food, fuel, etc. I was prepared, but what the unprepared really appreciated was bottled water, food, ICE!!!!! Charlie ripped our guts out, and people are still camping in their front yards. It was a minor storm compared to Katrina. We didn't even have much of a storm surge because it was moving so fast.
People aren't likely to get money from the Red Cross. People in Port Charlotte got FEMA mobile homes, water, and civilian MREs.
We don't hear so much on the news about smart people like Tim who evacuated but have no source of income or infrastructure.
Tim, could a few of us maybe western union some cash? Would that help? I'm serious. I think the government is preoccupied right now.

reno

Sep 2, 2005, 5:01 AM
Post #11 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Tim, I know what you're going through. Appearantly, so does reno, despite my assumption to the contrary. I apologised in person, and am now doing so in public.

Ain't no apology needed, Okie. This catastrophe is beyond what any of us have had to endure in the past, and it's affecting us all.

What counts the most right now, IMHO, is that we... America, as ONE nation... stand together and face this tragedy together. There's work to be done, and a lot of it, but when did Americans ever back down from work? To be sure, hard work and dedication is what built this great nation, and it is what will rebuild one of our great cities.

I'd implore all of you to do this: Today, ask yourself "How might I help?"

Times are tough for all of us. Gas prices rise, the cost of daily life just went up, the job market still has room to improve, and much unrest remains in our society. But for one moment, ask yourself "How might I help?"

Then go do it.

jred

Sep 4, 2005, 12:34 AM
Post #12 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Don't for a minute think that anyone has been left behind, because for 2 days, all we heard was "Get The f--- Out!"

If people are wanting out so bad, then why are they shooting the rescue workers..? They stayed with one intent, to loot!

Also, since Martial Law has been enacted along with a shoot to kill order, killing a looter, arsonist or rapist would not be considered vigilante justice or a make you a serial killer... You would be a hero within the letter of the law, for upholding the rule of law!

BTW: I have to wonder about the extreme level of hypocrisy of those of you that would never touch a gun, yet have no qualms with paying a COP $12.75/hr to do your dirty work for you. I'll protect my neighborhood with every last bullet I have, then we'll have a boil!
tgreen, would I be correct in saying that all of those poor unfortunate people I have seen on TV stayed around "with one intent, to loot". You seem to show no feelings toward those who suffer other than a desire to kill them or have them killed. Why are you so worried about a bunch of material crap when people are dying? I am by no means condoning car jacking, rape, etc. but who really cares if Wallmart loses a few TVs? People have lost everything including their lives and you have the nerve to talk about being a "hero" shooting looters aka., people looking to gain back their lives. I could not help but notice you refer to yourself as a redneck, could race be a factor?

Partner tgreene

Sep 4, 2005, 5:02 AM
Post #13 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Don't for a minute think that anyone has been left behind, because for 2 days, all we heard was "Get The f--- Out!"

If people are wanting out so bad, then why are they shooting the rescue workers..? They stayed with one intent, to loot!

Also, since Martial Law has been enacted along with a shoot to kill order, killing a looter, arsonist or rapist would not be considered vigilante justice or a make you a serial killer... You would be a hero within the letter of the law, for upholding the rule of law!

BTW: I have to wonder about the extreme level of hypocrisy of those of you that would never touch a gun, yet have no qualms with paying a COP $12.75/hr to do your dirty work for you. I'll protect my neighborhood with every last bullet I have, then we'll have a boil!
tgreen, would I be correct in saying that all of those poor unfortunate people I have seen on TV stayed around "with one intent, to loot". You seem to show no feelings toward those who suffer other than a desire to kill them or have them killed. Why are you so worried about a bunch of material crap when people are dying? I am by no means condoning car jacking, rape, etc. but who really cares if Wallmart loses a few TVs? People have lost everything including their lives and you have the nerve to talk about being a "hero" shooting looters aka., people looking to gain back their lives. I could not help but notice you refer to yourself as a redneck, could race be a factor?
You would do good to know me before judging me!

kyote321

Sep 6, 2005, 3:37 PM
Post #14 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

best thing you can do:

call attention to the fact that this administration is a bunch of bumbling idiots. they can invade a country of 25 mil., but can't rescue 25,000 from the convention center. a village in texas is missing it's idiot.

cloudbreak

Sep 6, 2005, 4:50 PM
Post #15 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
best thing you can do:

call attention to the fact that this administration is a bunch of bumbling idiots. they can invade a country of 25 mil., but can't rescue 25,000 from the convention center. a village in texas is missing it's idiot.

Save your political babble for the community forum......dickhead!

Partner tgreene

Sep 6, 2005, 6:54 PM
Post #16 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Try again... The failure is the FEMA director!

Personally I feel it's a mute point anyway, because EVERYONE was told to leave, and those that are now suffereing were the ones that REFUSED, even after repeated warnings and pleas of what the end result would be!!!

Sure, you can be told to leave. But how much does that really mean to a family with no jobs, no car, no money and no resources? The Louisiana Natl. Guard could have added to the police effort to get people out of the City, but that order would have had to come from the federal govt.
National Guard is controled at the state level, by the Governor, and they were in fact mobilized on Saturday, nearly 2 days prior to the storm hitting land... I know, because I was there!

I did not see govt. issues busses shipping folks out. And what efforts were made to evacuate the hospitals where docs were having to basically choose who got food and medicine and eventually who would live and die?
And you wouldn't have seen it, unless you were there! Every city, school and charter bus available was sweeping the city of NO with a police escort, pleading with people to get on the bus and leave... This took place for 2 full days!

It's kind of a moot point anyway as to why there were so many people left behind. But to me it looks like the poor and sick were completely forgotten about, as usual, by the Bush adminsitration. Having gotten some of the political outrage out of my system I am not going to post anything else about my feelings as to the 'coulda / shoulda /woulda' of this disaster.
Yet Chalmette, Slidell, Jefferson, Metairie, Kenner, Covington and Mandeville all have the same issues. The only differences being that we didn't have FREE transportation and we're in predominately white middle-class neighborhoods, but you won't see this on the news because it sells a very different story.

As to the 'what you can do about it' contribution, here are some ideas that could generate money for some of the organizations already mentioned:

Throwing a house party to raise money for the survivors.

Ask your gym to host a climbing film night or related event for Katrina relief efforts.

Ask your child's school to do a fundraiser. Put a tree in the lobby and have the kids make ornaments / paper cranes to hang on the tree with the names of families who made contributions.

If your state is taking in survivors you can contact your state house to find out:
Where to volunteer
Where to drop off clothes
If you can babysit
What they need for help
While I realize your sentiment is real and honerable, these are all simply feel good measures..

Partner macherry

Sep 6, 2005, 10:56 PM
Post #17 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Try again... The failure is the FEMA director!

Personally I feel it's a mute point anyway, because EVERYONE was told to leave, and those that are now suffereing were the ones that REFUSED, even after repeated warnings and pleas of what the end result would be!!!

Sure, you can be told to leave. But how much does that really mean to a family with no jobs, no car, no money and no resources? The Louisiana Natl. Guard could have added to the police effort to get people out of the City, but that order would have had to come from the federal govt.
National Guard is controled at the state level, by the Governor, and they were in fact mobilized on Saturday, nearly 2 days prior to the storm hitting land... I know, because I was there!

I did not see govt. issues busses shipping folks out. And what efforts were made to evacuate the hospitals where docs were having to basically choose who got food and medicine and eventually who would live and die?
And you wouldn't have seen it, unless you were there! Every city, school and charter bus available was sweeping the city of NO with a police escort, pleading with people to get on the bus and leave... This took place for 2 full days!

It's kind of a moot point anyway as to why there were so many people left behind. But to me it looks like the poor and sick were completely forgotten about, as usual, by the Bush adminsitration. Having gotten some of the political outrage out of my system I am not going to post anything else about my feelings as to the 'coulda / shoulda /woulda' of this disaster.
Yet Chalmette, Slidell, Jefferson, Metairie, Kenner, Covington and Mandeville all have the same issues. The only differences being that we didn't have FREE transportation and we're in predominately white middle-class neighborhoods, but you won't see this on the news because it sells a very different story.

As to the 'what you can do about it' contribution, here are some ideas that could generate money for some of the organizations already mentioned:

Throwing a house party to raise money for the survivors.

Ask your gym to host a climbing film night or related event for Katrina relief efforts.

Ask your child's school to do a fundraiser. Put a tree in the lobby and have the kids make ornaments / paper cranes to hang on the tree with the names of families who made contributions.

If your state is taking in survivors you can contact your state house to find out:
Where to volunteer
Where to drop off clothes
If you can babysit
What they need for help
While I realize your sentiment is real and honerable, these are all simply feel good measures..

sorry tim, i know you're personally/emotionally involved in the katrina situation, but i believe it's condescending to call these contributions "feel good measures". Those living outside the area are looking for a way to do their part in reducing the suffering of katrina's victims. I think every little bit helps. And if it's not needed by the hurricane vicitms, it can be used by someone just as needy. Volulnteerism is something we need to encourage in the world today.

reno

Sep 6, 2005, 11:06 PM
Post #18 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Can we all just step back for a second, take a deep breath, and re-think our actions.

Tim, you're obviously passionate about the events, and rightly so, but calling these "feelgood" measures is a little harsh, I think.

I'm not going to debate the other points you make, mostly because I don't think this is the time or place, but can you at least recognize that people everywhere are trying to help, and honor that?

lightgreen

Sep 16, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #19 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think its great that people are stepping up and helping out those affected by Katrina any way they can, but one thing I might add that people could do is call their congressman/woman and let them know that you expect the government to do more to help. Its really a national shame that the richest country in the world has to rely on individual donations to the Red Cross and other charities to provide the necessary aid to our fellow Americans in need. I mean, 2000$ debit cards?! What a joke. I saw a documentary on the Discovery channel that predicted this very disaster about a year ago, and not only did the government do absolutely nothing to shore up New Orleans, but now they expect citizens to pick up the tab for relief efforts? Its an honorable thing to donate money and whatever else one can to the relief efforts no doubt, but it is an absolute disgrace that the goverment places disaster relief and prevention below priorities such as tax cuts for the rich, military misadventures, corportate welfare and crony capitalism. And I'm not some tree-hugger either: I just expect a little more from the government of the greatest and richest nation in the world. Don't get me wrong, by all means, donate, but how about also letting your elected representatives know that if they did their job properly, you wouldn't have to. One more thing; Anyone else think its a disgrace that the director of FEMA had zero qualifications for disaster relief other that being W.'s roommate in college? This country is NOT prepared for another terrorist attack.

Partner tgreene

Sep 16, 2005, 5:01 PM
Post #20 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I mean, 2000$ debit cards?! What a joke.

My wife and I filled out the online FEMA forms last Friday, and as of the following Monday morning, $2000 had been deposited into our bank account. The debit cards were designed for those without bank accounts. FWIW: This electronic transfer systen was the brainchild of Michael Brown, and has actually put the FEMA money into the hands of us faster than any of the older methods!

Also, historically, charity began at the local level. When the government has too much control over our lives and well being, we become a socialist nation. As wonderful as it may seem, we simply can't have it both ways.

I saw a documentary on the Discovery channel that predicted this very disaster about a year ago, and not only did the government do absolutely nothing to shore up New Orleans, but now they expect citizens to pick up the tab for relief efforts? ... One more thing; Anyone else think its a disgrace that the director of FEMA had zero qualifications for disaster relief other that being W.'s roommate in college?

So then all of the work to raise and strengthen the levys in Metairie & Kenner over the past year really didn't happen..? Contrary to popular media opinion, it was happening, and I drove past it every single day! :roll:

reno

Sep 16, 2005, 5:39 PM
Post #21 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
One more thing; Anyone else think its a disgrace that the director of FEMA had zero qualifications for disaster relief other that being W.'s roommate in college?

What I think is a disgrace is that people like you just can't stop politicizing the disaster that has struck at the very core of our fellow citizens.

I also think it's a disgrace that you don't have your facts straight (Brown was the roomate of Joseph Allenbaugh, the former head of FEMA, not President Bush) but that's secondary.

lightgreen

Sep 16, 2005, 6:27 PM
Post #22 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You state:
"When the government has too much control over our lives and well being, we become a socialist nation."
Just a thought: if socialists put too much money into social programs, what do you call those who put too much money into the military? Militarists and war-mongers. Labels are useless, obviously we need a balance, so we can be safe, and have some semblance of a social safety-net for disasters.

Yet, you accepted the $2000 with no qualms; guess that makes you a socialist. You say "historically" charity begins at the local level. First of all, we're all Americans, and we should help out other Americans when bad things happen like 9/11 or Katrina. Second of all, the whole "local level" you are talking about has been devastated, so where is the charity gonna come from? Your other neighbors whose homes and possessions were washed away? A disaster of this proportions obviously requires a national and federal response, thats why we have FEMA in the first place. You said yourself that if the government does too much to help, that makes us socialists. And I don't understand where you're going with this 'charity is local' deal. If we aren't meant to take care of our fellow citizens throughout the whole country, what is the point of being one country in the first place? So we can work together invading other countries? God forbid we use our resources to take care of our own citizens.

Oh, and apparently, they didn't do a very good job of strengthening those levys. The danger was known for decades, and whatever money was put into solving the problem was obviously too little, too late.

And I stand corrected on the head of FEMA being W.'s roommate, however, the important point here is that perhaps the head of FEMA should be the person with the most expertise in the field, rather than being a political appointee. I'm not trying to politicize this; a Democrat probably would have an unqualified political appointee in the position as well. We should let our elected officials know that important positions should be filled by the best qualified people, regardless of politics.

Partner tgreene

Sep 16, 2005, 7:00 PM
Post #23 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

First: YES WE ACCEPTED THE $2000, and we were very grateful for it!

Second: What I mean by "local level" for charities, would be the outreach from other communities such as Jonesboro Arkansas has done with my wife and I, as well as several hundred other evacuees that made our way up here... Long before having received any Red Cross or FEMA assistance, we were being showered with support and necessities by the local community and church groups. This support went as far as strangers literally signing over homes and automobiles to some of the families that landed here.

Third: Go fuck yourself! I've been directly affected and have had to relocate, but you'll never once see or hear of me slamming on those that are helping us through this. My wife and I (as well as countless others) feel blessed to have any level of support, no matter how great or small it is. Were you there helping others to secure and evacuate their valuables, while forgoing your own possessions to do so..? I stripped my wifes' employers' office of the computers and servers since he was unable to do so, then didn't have either the time or vehicle space to get my own equipment out...... This particular 3-story building in Metairie has collapsed, leaving my high-end SCSI scanner & doc feeder, brand new office chair and irreplaceable client files photo albums & in a swampy rubble pile!

lightgreen

Sep 16, 2005, 7:23 PM
Post #24 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok, I get it, in theory, the government is socialist when it helps people like yourself out, but when the s*** hits the fan, you're first in line for their money. That makes you a hypocite. If you believe it isn't the governments job to help you, don't accept the help; you're the one who started throwing around the word "socialist".
Look, I honestly sympathize with you with all my heart, and everyone who has been affected by this tragedy has been in my prayers ever since it happened. And I've backed it up with my own money. If I was in a position to help anyone any more than I have, I would, because its the right thing to do.
I don't understand how you can say you're thankful for every bit of support you've recieved, while at the same time condemning someone who is simply arguing that you should be recieving MORE support. You face incredible challenges I'm sure in terms of getting your life back together, and I'm simply arguing that perhaps the government should do more. If you're happy with the level of the support you've recieved, great, but I don't think the people that were left in the Superdome without food and water felt the same way. Either way, I feel it is my duty as an American to implore my representatives to help every victim of this tragedy as much as possible, and I don't think we've done that.

Partner tgreene

Sep 16, 2005, 7:49 PM
Post #25 of 29 (1860 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You've completely missed my point... THERE'S A HUGE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN A HAND UP AND A HAND OUT!

Receiving a $2000 check from .gov is to be used as a hand up, NOT a hand out. Those that made the personal choice to not evacuate and stay behind, did so of their own free wills, because we were all given the same amount of notice... My wife and I didn't actually get out until 3:30pm on Sunday (because we chose to help others), at which point Katrina was already upon us!

As to being a hypocrite, it's simply a matter of how you perceive the assistance being given... We consider it ALL to be gracious gifts, including the $2000 FEMA money. We've used this money to lease a new home in a new community, as well as buy a number of essential amenities that will help us get back to work and rebuild our lives. We're not standing by feeling sorry for ourselves and making demands of others, because THAT would be hypocritical. Rather than asking our new community what they will do for us, we've asked how we can help them to help others, and if you've followed my threads in {Community}, you will have seen the results.

We've asked for nothing, yet have been absolutely blessed with what we have received (especially from the members here on RC).

To expect the .gov to pony up more money would not only bankrupt the country, but increase all of our taxes to unprecedented levels in the interim, ultimately forcing those that are financially unable to have to share the burden anyway.

People have been screaming that the National Guard should be shifted from State to Federal control, which is a horrific thought, because yet one more element of the 'checks and balances' will have been eroded if that happens.

While no system is perfect, we do have the best one in existence!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook