Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner booger

Sep 2, 2005, 2:10 PM
Post #1 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

When Climbing Is Like Baseball
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

It seems that out of the climbers I've been meeting lately, more and more folks have this huge memorized database of dates and routes and sends. They say things like:

"Oh, you want to climb blah blah? That was sent by blah and blah in like '78 for the first time. They had some trouble on the seventh pitch. Then it was solo'd in 82 by blah blah... then (etc. etc.)... then (etc. etc.)... yeah, nice route!"

:shock:

[This is where I nod dumbly as if I have some fuzzy clue in hell of what they're talking about. (errrrrr... :? ...yah)]

Where the hell do you guys learn this stuff!? It's almost as incomprehensible to me as baseball stats... like the guys next to you at the park who start arguing about which players stats from '68 compare to whose players stats from '72. :shock:

... Bueller?... Bueller?...

:D Happy Friday everyone!!

Partner tisar

Sep 2, 2005, 2:12 PM
Post #2 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Re: When Climbing Is Like Baseball [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Basewhat?

- Daniel

Partner angry

Sep 2, 2005, 2:20 PM
Post #3 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, it's different because it is a primarily oral history. It's amazing how much isn't BS with a system like that.

bandidopeco

Sep 2, 2005, 2:28 PM
Post #4 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well I'll give it to you that they are similar in that they both have a history. But climbing is mostly about names, dates, style and grading. Baseball has names and dates, but the amount of stats it has dwarfs climbing, plus they aren't subjective. No one is arguing about how many home runs so and so got in 1972. About the difficulty of Mental Block? is it a 5.11 off width? How much harder would it be to send if you were doing it with bongs instead of portable top ropes err... i mean big bros (umm, i do and will always use big cams whenever i can, and i don't ever intend to use a bong)?

Partner booger

Sep 2, 2005, 2:35 PM
Post #5 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Woah.
See what I mean?
:wink:

i don't doubt the history of climbing at all. It's very interesting. Every now and then I troll the "Climbing History" thread- it's fantastic! BUT- and it's probably just me, but the history of a route doesn't really hold any allure. Climbers history does - for example, the group of people who set all the routes in Val di Mello in the 60's. Now that's a story!

Basically, the people and their stories are interesting to me, but what they did on which route and when - just aren't.

Partner kasharp

Sep 2, 2005, 2:41 PM
Post #6 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it seems like you think that people who know a lot about routes, history of climbing, etc. are "studying" material to learn it and memorize it. for me, it's just because i'm interested in knowing about that stuff, not just so i can spew knowledge at people. same goes with knowing stuff about routes, if you hang out at a crag long enough, you'll learn everything there is to know about different routes in the area, first ascents, etc. i know beta about routes at the NRG that i've never even climbed just from hanging out with people and talking to them and i only remember all this stuff because i'm interested in it.
the same goes for people who know vast amounts of baseball statistics, i'm guessing they have it memorized because it's something they're interested in and passionate about.

Partner booger

Sep 2, 2005, 2:52 PM
Post #7 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ka, you hit the nail on the head. :wink: Believe me, I understand it's not memorization. Like anything, you have to really love it to really learn it. It's the kind of stuff I wish would stick in my brain, only so I could keep up with some of those conversations.

But, I know I'm hopeless :roll: ... and absolutely what you said - it's only because I don't have the attention/interest level it takes to remember.

grk10vq

Sep 2, 2005, 2:53 PM
Post #8 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think what it comes down to is who has a life and who doesn't.....oh shit! am i over 100 posts already..............

i retract my last statement.

kimmyt

Sep 2, 2005, 2:54 PM
Post #9 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TOPPS SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE CLIMBER CARDS. THEN I COULD PUT A SHARMA CARD IN THE WHEEL OF MY BICYCLE AND MAKE COOL NOISES AS I RIDE DOWN THE STREET!!!!

Partner kasharp

Sep 2, 2005, 3:00 PM
Post #10 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
TOPPS SHOULD TOTALLY MAKE CLIMBER CARDS. THEN I COULD PUT A SHARMA CARD IN THE WHEEL OF MY BICYCLE AND MAKE COOL NOISES AS I RIDE DOWN THE STREET!!!!

that is the coolest idea ever :D

Partner kasharp

Sep 2, 2005, 3:15 PM
Post #11 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I think what it comes down to is who has a life and who doesn't.....oh s---! am i over 100 posts already..............

i retract my last statement.

well, i have a life, or... i like to think i do atleast. i just sit on rc.com at work ... and sometimes when i come home drunk from a bar, but that's neither here nor there.

anyway, as far as knowing a lot about rock climbing (or baseball, ping pong, winnie the pooh, whatever) it's when that something is a huge part of your life that you take the interest in learning all about it. so as far as those people that know a lot, it's because rock climbing IS their life, not that they don't have one. atleast, that's my opinion

dingus

Sep 2, 2005, 3:22 PM
Post #12 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Opie makes a good point, we do spout climbing stats like baseball nuts. So color us normal, apple pie Americans.

NEXT!

DMT

clarki

Sep 2, 2005, 3:28 PM
Post #13 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I learn an awful lot by reading guidebooks whilst parked on the can. Seems that sometime during my mid/late teens I started replacing my Hustlers with guidebooks. Less mess to clean up.

Partner slacklinejoe

Sep 2, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #14 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
When Climbing Is Like Baseball

Hopefully NOT so similar as involve trying to catch something hurtling through the air at 80+mph.

asandh

Sep 2, 2005, 3:32 PM
Post #15 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

:)

vlasik

Sep 2, 2005, 3:33 PM
Post #16 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a hard enough time remembering climbs that I did 15 years ago. I can't even think about keeping up with what other people did. Though I will admit that it is easier to have a sense of history of places that I have climbed in. So basically if I haven't been there it is off my radar screen.

My wife has climbing trivia books and I can't remember any of it.

grk10vq

Sep 2, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #17 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
well, i have a life, or... i like to think i do atleast. i just sit on rc.com at work ... and sometimes when i come home drunk from a bar, but that's neither here nor there.

anyway, as far as knowing a lot about rock climbing (or baseball, ping pong, winnie the pooh, whatever) it's when that something is a huge part of your life that you take the interest in learning all about it. so as far as those people that know a lot, it's because rock climbing IS their life, not that they don't have one. atleast, that's my opinion

I think a lot of are just sitting on RC.com while at work--Its the only time I am on--I don't even own a computer. This site is a channel for climbing when we all can't climb, but with most of my experienes the people who have the "baseball card" metality should be the ones to STFU an start climbing and stop spraying. The person saying who did what-when-and how fast is the same person sitting there twiddling thier thumbs.

helno

Sep 2, 2005, 3:56 PM
Post #18 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
well, i have a life, or... i like to think i do atleast. i just sit on rc.com at work ...

good, i'm not the only one who sits on rc.com at work...

i started talking to an 'old time' doctor from my home town, who started climbing in 1959. he just stopped climbing about 2 - 3 years ago (he is 85 now)... he has some of the best stories, he names locations, routes, people, but mostly because he lived it. personally, i know i cant tell you who climbed what and when useing such and such pieces of gear, but i can tell you the last time i went, i did this, my friend did that and this is how hard it was for us.

i like history, but i'd rather make my own, so one day i can tell stories like Doc...

Partner kasharp

Sep 2, 2005, 4:01 PM
Post #19 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i don't think that knowing a lot about climbing trivia makes you less of a climber. unless all you're doing is spraying. and i'm certainly not saying i'm an expert on climbing history, but i've picked up more knowledge as time goes on just through listening to people.

azrockclimber

Sep 2, 2005, 4:29 PM
Post #20 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

whats baseball?...oh yeah ...it's that incredibly boring fat ass sport...!

Please don't ever compare climbing to americas most boring pastime.

kimmyt

Sep 2, 2005, 4:50 PM
Post #21 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

do yourself a favor and STFU

sandstone

Sep 2, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #22 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...it's probably just me, but the history of a route doesn't really hold any allure. Climbers history does ....
the people and their stories are interesting to me, but what they did on which route and when - just aren't.

I know what you're saying, but for me it's all sort of one thing -- I identify the climbers with their routes, and vice versa. I don't get caught up in memorizing lists and numbers, but I definately like knowing about the history of routes.

Sometimes I seek out areas and climbs specifically because of their history. It can be humbling at times -- being challenged on a route knowing that some badass climbed it decades ago with far inferior gear but far superior balls.

lewisiarediviva

Sep 2, 2005, 6:05 PM
Post #23 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hopefully NOT so similar as involve trying to catch something hurtling through the air at 80+mph.

Unless you consider the belayer the catcher, the rock the pitcher, and the climber the . . . it's yo yo baseball.

ajkclay

Sep 7, 2005, 2:31 AM
Post #24 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

quite often the info is in the guide book, FAers for example, as well as difficulties that were exerienced to preserve some of the history of the FA...

Some people just have good memories.

dima

Sep 7, 2005, 5:57 AM
Post #25 of 32 (2307 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did that person, who was talking to you about the history of certain route had long dirty hair, smelled like hippie, and his shirt was so chalked out, that you don't even need a chalkbag, just pat yourself on the stomach?
if yes, than you have noticed "amazing creature" (with australian accent) that constantly hangs out around crags, and trying to maintan some contact with human society.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook