RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

organic

Sep 9, 2005, 8:53 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2594 views)
Shortcut

So. Ill. Reunion Rendevous
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

In reply to:
Hello All,

This email is BCC'ed to about 300 of you. First, let me apologize for being late in getting this update out to you.

For those of you receiving this who are getting this info for the first time, a little background is in order.

While researching for the history section of the new climbing guide for So. IL, it was suggested to me by a couple of guys who climbed here in 1971- Chris Maul-Smith and Art Pencek- that it would be cool to have a reunion. So I chose the hopefully fair-weathered weekend of October 21-23, 2005. Hmm, who all to invite? The main objective of this event is indeed a reunion. But would there be some kind of cut-off for people who started climbing here after such and such a date? Nope. Too much of a pain to figure all that out, and who cares? Basically, if you've ever climbed in So. IL before, or maybe just thought about it, you're welcome to show-up. Hence the addition of the word, "rendezvous".

After the Access Fund chose So. IL as the site to have their fall season board meeting, we decided to combine the two events into one weekend.

I'm not asking for any sort of formal RSVP. Given that, please realize that this will be a very loosely organized weekend, so we won't be providing food. The primary objective is to call on former So. IL climbers of the 1960s, 70s, 80s, 90s, and present day to return to So. IL for a weekend of reminiscing, catching up, and doing some climbing if your joints still allow. So here's the agenda:

FRIDAY, OCTOBER 21, noon until whenever:
Shelter One (Makanda Bluff), Giant City State Park
Bring your own picnic, harness, belay device, and/or bouldering pad for top roping and bouldering. Communal (non-guided) top ropes will be set up.

SATURDAY, OCTOBER 22
>From 9-5, the Access Fund Board will be taking place at Touch of Nature. Part of it is open to the public, and part of it will be executive session. If you're wondering what the Access Fund (www.accessfund.org) is all about and what they've done, are doing, and will continue to do for you as a climber, maybe consider stopping by and having a listen.
Otherwise, go to one of the other local crags- Draper's Bluff, Cedar Bluff, or Jackson Falls- to meet up with old friends, or maybe new friends, and climb, climb, climb.
Saturday 7 p.m.- Head over to Touch of Nature for the main reunion / rendezvous. Follow the signs when you get there. Touch of Nature is about 6-7 miles south of Carbondale on Giant City Road. Beverages- soft drinks and alchohol- are available for purchase on site. Food availability remains up in the air. You might want to eat before you come.

SUNDAY, OCTOBER 23
More climbing at your crag of choice.

Or, attend the Activists Forum, but please RSVP ahead of time
Shawn Tierney at shawn@accessfund.org or 303/545-6772 x105.

What: Access Fund Activists Forum

When: Sunday, October 23, 2005; 9:00am-5:00pm

Where: Touch of Nature Environmental Center (See directions below)

Why: To discuss local and regional climbing access and stewardship issues, and explore various methods of resolving threats to access.

Who: Representatives from local climbing organizations, local activists, wanna-be activists, climbing instructors, climbing program leaders.

Activists Forum Location:

<>Touch of Nature Environmental Center
Southern Illinois University
1206 Touch of Nature Road
Carbondale, Illinois 62901-6888
618/453-1121

http://www.pso.siu.edu/tonec/

Directions: http://www.pso.siu.edu/tonec/directions.php

On Saturday evening, if you're going to Touch of Nature from Jackson Falls or Draper's Bluff, here are directions for the most direct approach:

From Jackson Falls:
Ozark Road west to US Hwy 45 and go south 3 miles.
Tunnel Hill Road west to I-24 West
I-24 to I-57 North for one mile, then exit onto Hwy 148.
Hwy 148 across I-57 and go north toward Herrin, but only for about 2-3 miles.
Left turn and go west on Grassy Road for several miles.
At the Y-intersection of Grassy and Spillway Roads, turn left and stay on Grassy Road for several more miles until the T-intersection at Giant City Road.
Left turn and go south on Giant City Road for about 1 mile to Touch of Nature on the left/east side of the road.

From Draper's Bluff:
Lick Creek Road west to I-57.
Go north on I-57 for about 8 miles, then exit onto Hwy 148.
Hwy 148 across I-57 and go north toward Herrin, but only for about 2-3 miles.
Left turn and go west on Grassy Road for several miles.
At the Y-intersection of Grassy and Spillway Roads, turn left and stay on Grassy Road for several more miles until the T-intersection at Giant City Road.
Left turn and go south on Giant City Road for about 1 mile to Touch of Nature on the left/east side of the road.

If you want further info, or you'd like to know if a certain person has told me they're planning to attend this weekend, feel free to contact me. Lodging info is below. Hope to see you in October!

Safe travels,

Eric Ulner
Vertical Heartland
5050 Lick Creek Road
Buncombe, IL 62912
618-995-1427 desk
info@verticalheartland.com
http://www.verticalheartland.com

healyje

Sep 29, 2005, 3:13 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Re: So. Ill. Reunion Rendevous [In reply to]
Report this Post

Status bump...

Jim Tangen-Foster, Alan Carrier, and I are coming - any other of you 70's lurkers coming...?

justsendingits

Oct 11, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #3 of 6 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Can,t believe that this thread and the gathering are not the big rage??

I can't wait to go, a lot of my hero's will be there!!!

Rich

henryjackson

Oct 12, 2005, 4:51 PM
Post #4 of 6 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
Can,t believe that this thread and the gathering are not the big rage??

I can't wait to go, a lot of my hero's will be there!!!

Rich

Rich, let me tell you that I cant wait to meet you. It's been a while since I have been on my Southern Illinois Saluki Climbing Team seen, but you can bet your ass that it will be a whopping good time. Most people havent replied 'cause they are scared of me. Theres gone be a big whuppin at Henry Jackson Falls, me and Eric Ulner are gonna wrastle till the piggies come home. He might have beaten me back in the day, but im goin to whip that piggie!! whip 'em raw!!

justsendingits

Oct 14, 2005, 3:27 AM
Post #5 of 6 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I woulkd not wrassle with Eric ifin u paid me!!
Bend me into a pretzil

shanz

Oct 14, 2005, 4:29 AM
Post #6 of 6 (2594 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Ill be there, me and mine learned to climb there Eric and Kathy thanks for all you do and look forward to meeting some of the old school climbers that we have heard so many stories about

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook