RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

lhwang

Sep 10, 2005, 5:56 PM
Post #1 of 6 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Another photo
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Went to Skaha last weekend. This is a 10c at Claim It All wall (can't remember the climb name). Unfortunately I couldn't convince him to take off the sunglasses.

http://retronaut.wiggum.org/...limbing/164_6491.jpg

michelleh

Sep 12, 2005, 11:11 AM
Post #2 of 6 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Re: Another photo [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

A good photo, can't see any faults. The climber is in the sun, good DOF with climber crisp focus, base of the climb isn't disctracting (in fact very un-distracting with the shade!). Nicely done!

melekzek

Sep 12, 2005, 7:40 PM
Post #3 of 6 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the talent is at the 6th clip, and he looks like he is only a couple of meters off the ground :twisted:
Small DOF cliche would work here, or you can try to shoot as far from the rock as possible(hint: if you are hanging from the rope, try standing up (up: horizontal, lol))

The image itself is a bit chaotic, you need something to lead the viewers eye to the talent. Natural lines, the rope, series of quickdraws, you name it. Use them as compositional elements for a more readable picture. The background is nice and all, but is distracting. The high frequency foliage, and sharp contrasted shadows does not help here, imho.

The quickdraw he is about to clip is out of focus. It usually works better if the focus is on his face and also on his clip. The foreground higher quickdraw overlaps with the hero-quickdraw and does not work here. It also shows preplaced gear, come on, you are killing the action, adventure (i did it, finally i used sport climbing and adventure in the same sentence :lol:) . Clean the frame a bit.

alpinerock

Sep 13, 2005, 2:42 AM
Post #4 of 6 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the whites seem a little blown out, my eyes are constantly drawn to his right hand.

sonyhome

Sep 13, 2005, 7:56 PM
Post #5 of 6 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think the base o the climb is out of sight on the right. Maybe the reason the photo feels a tad confusing? Zooming out a tad would've helped by adding more context at the top and right of the photo...
I like the fact that the eye is drawn to the clipping hand, because it is lit in front of a shaded background. Mabe a little overexposed on the bright spots.

lhwang

Sep 24, 2005, 4:50 PM
Post #6 of 6 (2181 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the advice... I'm going to Skaha again in October so I'll try out some of the suggestions then.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook