RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - West Coast

Premier Sponsor:

realdeal39

Sep 10, 2005, 6:15 PM
Post #1 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Any good places not to close or far from LA
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Here's the deal. My g/f and I are currently living in Estes Park, CO but our lease is up in November. I want to just stay here after that but my g/f is an aspiring actress and wants to move to southern CA within an hour of LA. The last time I lived in CA I was about 90 minutes from LA and would sooner gouge my eyes out with spoons and shove s@!t in my eye sockets than go back there, but I am trying to reach a compromise with her. So my question is, is there any place no closer than 2 hours, but no further than 3 hours from LA that has good climbing and biking, and maybe has some trees as well instead of all desert, and dosen't have that southern CA feel and attitude.(I apologize to anyone who takes offense to this, but there definetely is a feel and attitude.) Is there anyplace like this, or should I just tell her goodbye, goodluck, and I'll miss you?

mrsuicide

Sep 10, 2005, 6:31 PM
Post #2 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Re: Any good places not to close or far from LA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.rockclimbing.com/routes/listState.php?CountryStateID=4

there are TONS of climbing places in socal.

climbingaggie03

Sep 10, 2005, 8:06 PM
Post #3 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

New Jack City

snoopy138

Sep 10, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #4 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

santa barbara area? or does that have the same socal feel and attitude?

i don't know about the logistics of living in idyllwild (or the price), but it seems like it could fit what you are looking for.

Partner gamehendge

Sep 10, 2005, 9:14 PM
Post #5 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Williamson, Tahquitz/Suicide, JTree, Echo Cliffs, Malibu Creek, New Jack City and Big Bear area are all w/in 3 hours. Owens River Gorge, Clark Canyon, Mammoth and Red Rocks w/ in 4-5.

justthemaid

Sep 12, 2005, 5:02 AM
Post #6 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, as others have said, there is no shortage of climbing in LA county.

If your girlfriend is serious about an acting career you guys unfortunately will have to move somewhere in the LA basin.

La Crecenta,/ Tujunga / Pasadena areas (210 fwy) will put you 40 minutes from Williamson 2 hours from Josh, and 1 hour from Malibu, and you'll still be an hour or so to Hollywood for your girl (depending on traffic). These areas still have some pockets of community free from the LA attitude that annoys you so much. They're next to the San Gabriel Mountains (no desert). Rent prices vary a lot depending on the house.

The Santa Monica Mountains are beautiful and near the ocean and some properties are very isolated if you're looking for privacy. Topanga Canyon, Malibu Canyon, Mulholland Hwy. areas will put you close to Echo Cliffs, Malibu Canyon, and a variety of others. The downfall is price, rentals are expensive. If you are willing to live in a trailor or VERY small guest house you can sometimes find affordable rentals.

You may also look into the Box Canyon area (north west end of the San Fernando Valley). Funky houses up in the rocks. Still an hour from Willimson and Malibu, and Hollywood (depending on traffic). Haven't checked the rents there lately, but a friend was renting an OK-sized guest house on a beautiful lot for a reasonable ammount. (Depending on what you consider reasonable.)

If you are looking to buy a home EVERYTHING is freakishly expensive right now.

Good luck, and PM me when you get here. We'll be happy to show you around.

jt512

Sep 12, 2005, 5:09 AM
Post #7 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Here's the deal. My g/f and I are currently living in Estes Park, CO but our lease is up in November. I want to just stay here after that but my g/f is an aspiring actress and wants to move to southern CA within an hour of LA. The last time I lived in CA I was about 90 minutes from LA and would sooner gouge my eyes out with spoons and shove s@!t in my eye sockets than go back there, but I am trying to reach a compromise with her. So my question is, is there any place no closer than 2 hours, but no further than 3 hours from LA that has good climbing and biking, and maybe has some trees as well instead of all desert, and dosen't have that southern CA feel and attitude.(I apologize to anyone who takes offense to this, but there definetely is a feel and attitude.) Is there anyplace like this, or should I just tell her goodbye, goodluck, and I'll miss you?

Nope. Stay in Colorado.

-Jay

davelwang

Sep 12, 2005, 5:46 AM
Post #8 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Tahquitz/Suicide and Joshua Tree has climbing at least as good as Lumpy! They are both about 2 hours away from LA.

chanceboarder

Sep 12, 2005, 6:14 AM
Post #9 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Nope. Stay in Colorado.

-Jay
:lol: agreed. the only places that come to mind that are even close to your wants would be the big bear area or idyllwild area. both are mountain locations between 2 and 3 hours from LA. both have climbing close by when there isn't snow on the ground and when there is you have joshua tree around an hour away. big bear is more crowded and has more of that southern CA feel while idyllwild compared to big bear has a feel closer to that of estes where you're coming from.

justthemaid

Sep 12, 2005, 3:25 PM
Post #10 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been thinking.

Ignore my previous wishy-washy attempt to be helpful.

What I really should have said is:

If you love Colorado stay where you are. If you hated LA you'll hate it more now. Moving here will probably be a big waste of time and money, and the harsh reality wailting for your girlfriend is that if she's over 14 and hasn't been discovered yet- her chances of a successful acting carreer are ZERO. No matter how talented she is, the best she'll get is extra work.

If you still move, the upside is lots of climbing.

jt512

Sep 12, 2005, 6:14 PM
Post #11 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I've been thinking.

Ignore my previous wishy-washy attempt to be helpful.

What I really should have said is:

If you love Colorado stay where you are.

Exactly. The last thing we need out here is another 35-mph Subaru driver who can't comprehend the meaning of "Slower Traffic Use Turnouts" and an out-of-work would-be actress.

-Jay

Partner tim

Sep 12, 2005, 6:21 PM
Post #12 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No climbing here that meets your criteria, really.

(Closest you're likely to come to it is southern Sierra crags between 3 and 5 hours away from Los Angeles -- anything else is likely to be overrun with your least favorite attitude -- though living near Boulder I can't imagine how you survive at all...)

As previously mentioned, if you hated L.A. before, you probably will not like it much this time, either. It's a nicer place than it was 14 years ago (it was a much worse shithole around 1992, I lived here then) but it's still located in the same place and contains many of the same people.

Maybe find a new girlfriend instead of a new city...

Partner tim

Sep 12, 2005, 6:23 PM
Post #13 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The last thing we need out here is another ... out-of-work would-be actress.

That's very harsh. There are plenty of cashier positions at Trader Joe's and waitressing positions available in SoCal for ''actresses''.

markanth

Sep 25, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #14 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

if you want to live in the middle of it all, i would highly recommend the san bernardino mountains, either lake arrowhead or big bear. Tons of climbing and mountain biking in the summer in moderate temps ranging from 70' to 80' degrees. in the winter there's snowboarding or skiing at snow summit and bear mountain snow resorts or climbing at Joshua tree, new jack city, or red rocks. Everything is from 5 minutes to under two hours away, honest look it up. oh yeah rents cheap up here to.

lofstromc

Sep 25, 2005, 8:34 PM
Post #15 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just moved to VA from SoCal...
Wrightwood is a decent little mountain town. It is in the Angeles NF and fairly close to Mt. Williamson, both in LA county.
Claremont is on the eastern border of LA county where it meets San Berdoo County. They are trying real hard to be like a little college town even though they are part of LA's sprawl.

Wherever you pick, pick someplace where you don't have to commute so much. The metrolink goes into LA.
It is possible to do this in SoCal, if you pick the right place.
In my opinion, the commute from Big Bear, Santa Barbara or Idylwild - like others suggested - would suck more than anything has ever sucked before.

As for the attitude. You don't need to surround yourself with the plastic people, not everyone is SoCal is a stereotype.

lofstromc

Sep 25, 2005, 8:48 PM
Post #16 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ahh, I just read your profile, in it you where talking about moving to Hawaii.
?????????????

jt512

Sep 26, 2005, 3:06 PM
Post #17 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...not everyone is SoCal is a stereotype.

That's true. It's not like every girl in SoCal is an aspiring actress, or anything.

-Jay

Partner baja_java

Sep 26, 2005, 3:42 PM
Post #18 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
The last thing we need out here is another ... out-of-work would-be actress.
That's very harsh. There are plenty of cashier positions at Trader Joe's and waitressing positions available in SoCal for ''actresses''.
In reply to:
In reply to:
...not everyone is SoCal is a stereotype.
That's true. It's not like every girl in SoCal is an aspiring actress, or anything.

what the?!?

hey c'mon! it's all about the hot chicks with shattered dreams!!

neiluk82

Oct 3, 2005, 6:06 PM
Post #19 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Can i ask... being a niave newcomer to Souther California...

...what is so bad about the place?

Ta.
Neil.

chanceboarder

Oct 3, 2005, 6:36 PM
Post #20 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Ta.
Neil.
well why don't i do this to make things short and tell you whats good about it....

there finished, see how short that was :wink:

jdouble

Oct 3, 2005, 6:40 PM
Post #21 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Ta.
Neil.

Fires, floods, riots, earthquakes........and very little limestone.

jeffstephan

Oct 3, 2005, 6:53 PM
Post #22 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Nope. Stay in Colorado.

-Jay
:lol: agreed. the only places that come to mind that are even close to your wants would be the big bear area or idyllwild area. both are mountain locations between 2 and 3 hours from LA. both have climbing close by when there isn't snow on the ground and when there is you have joshua tree around an hour away. big bear is more crowded and has more of that southern CA feel while idyllwild compared to big bear has a feel closer to that of estes where you're coming from.

This is by far the best answer to the origional question. New Jack, Josh, and most other areas are desert which was asked to be avoided. Mountians and the color GREEN would be found in the bigbear and idyllwild area. Good luck-

climbingaggie03

Oct 3, 2005, 6:59 PM
Post #23 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to live in Big Bear and I don't think it has a so-cal feel, except for the weekends when all the ski bunnies are up, but there are a bunch of awesome people there, It's not estes park, but it is nice, There's tons of climbing on the mountain for when the weather is warm, and when it's cold, new jack, and josh are easy day/weekend trips also bishop isn't too hard to get to if you have some time. That said, I've never been to idyllwild, so I can't say for sure, but I loved Big Bear

Partner grovehunter

Oct 4, 2005, 7:31 AM
Post #24 of 24 (4220 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Realdeal39, you had the right idea when you bailed her for Yosemite the first time. Do it again and see what happens. The worst case scenario is she'll be discovered (Highly unlikely!) and forget all about you and the new girlfriend you found in the valley, or you'll be back together in three months here in L.A.
GH

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - West Coast

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook