RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

jitbag

Sep 18, 2005, 1:56 AM
Post #1 of 3 (2102 views)
Shortcut

climbing on Manitoulin Island
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am going to be visiting Manitoulin Island next weekend, I have seen some pictures of the area up there, and some of the cliffs on the island. I know there is climbing at Killarney, just woundering if anyone had any info on the climbing on the island.

Thanks

downshift

Sep 20, 2005, 12:22 PM
Post #2 of 3 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing on Manitoulin Island [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There some fairly nice climbing at the Cup and Saucer. (See the info in the Ontario route section). I climbed it a couple of years back and there is a fair bit of variety. As well, the view is quite decent. For sport climbing a fair bit is bolted and its relatively easy to find. As well, the cliff face is only a 15 - 20 minute walk from the parking lot, so not a long walk at all. As well, on the cliff top there are some amazing views of the Island.

double

Sep 20, 2005, 6:01 PM
Post #3 of 3 (2102 views)
Shortcut

Re: climbing on Manitoulin Island [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The cup and saucer is worthwhile. Head up to the "adventure trail", I believe it is the right most branch (descends a wooden ladder). Here there are several good bolted routes, although they are a little long between bolts. Top roping is possible. On the other side of the face (the left trail branch) there are several routes spread out along the cliff. Some are bolted although they are tough to see from above. You can top rope lots around here too. Watch out for poison ivy...it is rampant in the area. I would say the bolted routes range from 5.10 to 5.12, but lots of good topropes can be set on easier areas.

Killarney has good climbing at George Lake, although it is illegal and wardens threaten to confiscate gear. Just stay low profile I guess. You will need a canoe.

Bryan

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook