RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

toddtar

Sep 20, 2005, 2:49 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Southern IL - Need some Beta
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

I will be in Mount Veron, IL form 9/26-10/06 and then Monday-Friday for 5 more weeks. Is there a climbing gym close or any climbing at all with in 30 minute drive? I know about the Draper's Bluff area and plan on hitting it on the weekend or is it closer than it looks on the map? So can anyone point me in the right directions? And of course if anyone wants to climb! :D
Thanks
Todd

equal_1

Sep 20, 2005, 3:02 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Re: Southern IL - Need some Beta [In reply to]
Report this Post

well i would say i have heard good things about drapers,i will be at jackson falls most every weekend .. alot of sport routes and free camping. im about 20 min away from mt vernon . and im always looking for a climbing partner. as for a climbing gym i know there is one in carbondale. and one in st louis. you can find the info on thiese places in the route database there is alot of information about climbing gyms and stores that sell gear there as well as route info on all the places to climb, ut other then that i would say it would easier to just go to some real rock to pull down ... if you are looking for a parnter on the weekend feel free to post a messege back here or send me a pm .... enjoy your self out here there is alot to do in the realm of climbing in S. ILL

flatlandtrav

Sep 21, 2005, 4:17 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Are you going to be there the week of Thanksgiving? I was planning on hitting up Jackson Falls like Monday or Tuesday of that week, and i am looking for some people to climb with.

organic

Sep 21, 2005, 4:19 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

From mount vernon the closest climbing is probably about 1.25 hours at Giant City by Carbondale. Drapers bluff is about 1.75 hours away and Jackson Fallsabout 2 hours from Mount Vernon. There really is no climbing gym in carbondale besides the crappy wall at the recreation center for SIU. Not worth paying for at all especially with Giant City only 5 miles away.

siclimber003

Sep 22, 2005, 2:45 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Actually, Giant City takes longer to get to from Mt. Vernon than Draper's Bluff. Draper's is a straight shot on I-57, only about 55-60 miles, then 2.5 miles on Lick Creek Road from the interstate. I know because I've done both drives!
Jackson Falls is probably 1 1/2 hours. To get to Jackson Falls, take I-57 to I-24 to Tunnel Hill Road to Highway 45. Turn left on highway 45 for 3 miles to Ozark Road. There are maps in the guide book. If you don't have one, you can get one at Verticalheartland.com or Shawnee Trails in Carbondale.

Have fun!

mistymountainhop

Sep 22, 2005, 3:53 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

In reply to:
There really is no climbing gym in carbondale besides the crappy wall at the recreation center for SIU. Not worth paying for at all especially with Giant City only 5 miles away.

Organic is wrong. He clearly does not know beauty and architectural elegance when he sees it! Well, back in 78, we had the best wall in the country!

toddtar

Sep 26, 2005, 10:25 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

I made it to Mt. Veron, what a 30 hour epic! I'll send some PM's about climbing, if anybody wants to get out send a PM. I was thinking Sat and Sun.

Todd

yousuck

Sep 26, 2005, 10:48 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1607 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Check Memphis Mountaineers, there is always someone there going somewhere...

www.memphismountaineers.com Click on Slate. I posted a link from a thread there to here...

Good Luck.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook