RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

goatsoup

Jul 29, 2002, 9:57 PM
Post #1 of 5 (1216 views)
Shortcut

wondering about comps!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

there is a PCA comp coming up, sponsered by e-grips around aug. 8, i think. Having never competed before if anyone knows any thing helpfull plz help me out! any info about wat to expect, where to look for info, anything will help!!
thx.

vaness

Jul 31, 2002, 11:44 AM
Post #2 of 5 (1216 views)
Shortcut

wondering about comps!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i dint really understand what you are looking for. maybe im reading it wrong but could you try to ask again? im kinda confused.

goatsoup

Aug 3, 2002, 2:36 AM
Post #3 of 5 (1216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

just wondering wat to expect at competitions as far as rules and difficulties of problems.

fiend

Aug 3, 2002, 3:34 AM
Post #4 of 5 (1216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No offense, but if you're not climbing at least V10 then you will get nowhere in the PCA comps. Those things are badass and some very strong well known climbers regularly get their asses kicked.

The format is ISO I believe, you sit and wait your turn then are led to your first problem where you will have between 6 and 10 minutes to view and climb. then you will rotate to a rest station and then back to the next problem.

I think there are about 6 quals. Finals will be similar, but with much harder problems.

If they're actually into the full season then you need to be a PCA cardholder to even enter the comp and only top finishers from previous comps recieve cards. There are some open slots if you can get in through a sponsor. Or you could look for info on the comp held the day before which lets some wildcard competitors play with the big boys.

If you enter a PCA comp you will be competing with the likes of Chris Sharma, Obe Carrion, Dave Graham, Steven Jeffery, Nels Rosaasen, Seth Mason, Jason Kehl and many other strong strong climbers.

That's a basic outline of what to expect based on what I read a few months ago. For up to date info check http://www.climbxmedia.com and follow their links to the PCA sites.

Also, register fast, I think it's usually limited to 100 competitors and it fills up right away.

[ This Message was edited by: fiend on 2002-08-02 20:38 ]

fiend

Aug 3, 2002, 3:42 AM
Post #5 of 5 (1216 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

PS: I just re-read your post and saw that it was your first comp, and you've only been climbing for 2 or 3 years.....

PCA stands for Professional Climbers Association.

Think of it as the PGA of climbing. Do you feel comfortable enough with your golf game to jump into a professional tour against Tiger Woods? If the answer is no then you may want to stay away from the PCA

If I were you I'd look for some ABS comps (google for it, you'll find their site) which are held all over the country, cater to beginners as well as experts, are much cheaper to enter and are a very friendly introduction to bouldering competitions.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook