RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

ginger_ninja

Sep 28, 2005, 2:24 PM
Post #1 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

DMM Roller biners- a use in slacking?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

A thread on another section caused me to have an interesting thought.

would there be any practical use for the DMM roller biners in slacklining?
- the wheel would reduce friction on webbing, or a rope. from what i can tell, the main problem with the 4 biners method is friction- which stops it giving out its full 5:1 mechanical advantage. surely using rollers would effectivly cause each crab to become a pulley wheel, instead of a lump of metal- making it a great deal easier to tighten. you could even use rope against the wheel in the tightening system, and i would imagine this would give an even better ma.

using DMM rolers would be more portable, easier, and cheaper than some other "real" pulley systems.

im too poor to buy any more biners, especially ones with wheels in them. so if there is someone out there who uses the DMMs and slacklines... any feedback would be good.

pinkydancer

Sep 28, 2005, 3:19 PM
Post #2 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Re: DMM Roller biners- a use in slacking? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

All I see in those roller biners are a waste of money. :lol:

I can buy 6 ovals for just over the price of one of those DMM rollers. And the setup works great that way. ( :

Partner slacklinejoe

Sep 28, 2005, 5:40 PM
Post #3 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can get CMI micro or similar pulleys for similar pricing, those will be far more efficent. Granted, more bulk but still those biners aren't really built for it and you'd have to use rope or very thin web in your tensioning system to utilize the tiny pulley built into the biner.

I've made some pretty cool auto locking setups using a single cam buckle that we carry and the CMI micro pulleys using 5/8" web for the tensioning system rather than rope or the 1" main line. It packed up fairly well, was light and didn't cost nearly as much as some of the alternatives for "real" pulley systems.

I'd stay away from the petzl emergency pulley thing that clips into biners too, those break really easy under strain (only like 300 ot 350 lb test).

Until you guys try it, you shouldn't be busting on someone because they want less friction in their tensioning system - it makes a huge difference.

Partner coldclimb

Sep 28, 2005, 7:38 PM
Post #4 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've never tried, but reading the specs on those biners, the roller locks up under a relatively small force. A slackline is gonna lock it up before you get it tensioned, rendering the pulley worthless. Real pulleys are more spendy, but you can rig tighter with ease. ;)

uncleslackline

Sep 29, 2005, 5:08 AM
Post #5 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Oh my god, are we all going to agree!?!
I thought about using those little Petzel pulleys to make up a cheap starter kit a long time ago!
When are you dirt bags going to figure out that you get what you pay for in this world!?!?
Call up Petzel and tell them you want to sustain a thousand pound load on their little round pieces of plastic, and see what they tell you!
They will tell you the same thing they told SBI years ago when we informed them that we were using Wall Haulers to tighten our slacklines!
Cease and desist immediately!!!! This product was not engineered for this application!
What it comes down to is the least resistance in your tightening system!
Sure sheaves lessen your resistance, so does the diameter of the sheave, so do bearings for that matter!
Yo dirt bags all that cost money! And in my opinion Slackline Brothers Tightening System™ gives you the least resistance for your buck!
Even "Slackline Scientist" is now starting to talk about pulleys!
Sure the CMI Micro Hauler is lighter than the SBI's pulleys, but they have given up diameter of the sheaves, and are still way more expensive than a set of SBI pulleys.
The Slackjack, same problem! Scott went to a six to one to try to make up for no diameter of the sheave!
At SBI we are committed to the innovation of better pulleys for the tightening systems of the future.
But you dirt bags our going to have to be willing to open your wallets for the kind slackline shit!!!
Slackline is a sport!!!!
Not a climber rest day activity.

ginger_ninja

Sep 29, 2005, 9:07 PM
Post #6 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well for me its a rest day activity! some may choose to take it as a sport- i do it for fun. For me, i do not slackline enough to warrant somthing that costs silly ammounts of cash and requires more room in my bag, nor do i put up any lines that cannot be tightened by two mates and a couple of crabs.

coldclimb- in other threads there is some dipute as to whether the pulley wheel does lock up under low forces, i dont think DMM have given a definite answer yet. The thought did pass my mind aswell.

Partner coldclimb

Sep 29, 2005, 9:40 PM
Post #7 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
coldclimb- in other threads there is some dipute as to whether the pulley wheel does lock up under low forces, i dont think DMM have given a definite answer yet. The thought did pass my mind aswell.

I'd kinda like to get one to check out. An average tensioned slackline will stretch a plain carabiner enough that you can't open the gate, so I'm only assuming it would also lock off the DMM pulley. I dunno though, I'm not gonna actually shell out the money for a gimmick like that. :lol:

areyoumydude

Sep 30, 2005, 4:18 PM
Post #8 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

using DMM rolers would be more portable, easier, and cheaper than some other "real" pulley systems.

You can buy pulleys that are cheaper.

gymslackerclimber

Sep 30, 2005, 8:31 PM
Post #9 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hahaha,,

Dirt Bag,,, what a colorful classification for the cheepster....

i guess i am little by little, becoming less of a dirtbag,,, the SBI tightening system is the bomb,,, although (maybe i should keep this comment to my self) i rarley use it,, beacuse i rarley walk lines longer than 45ft..

too tell you the truth,, i simply jsut like the way the 'primitive' set up 'looks..' its all simple and easy to comprehend... people watch me set up, then come up to me and say,,,, holy cow,, that is all it is,, its holding just like that ,, only with friciton!?,,,,,, wow...

and i say,, yep,,, jsut friciton,, pretty neat huh...

so putting dirt bags aside,,, it all comes down to one thing, and that is walking the line..!!!

so dont think about it,,,, just DO IT!

then walk bigger and bigger lines, until you cant pull it tight enough,,, then get some pullies,, then!!! and only then, you will graduate to 'still a bag,, but an almost acceptable noncheepassslacker" hahahaha :lol: ..

JFWY unc...

samuel

Sep 30, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #10 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

From the dmm website:

"The pulley wheel is designed to rotate even when taking 11kN of load..."

That is also coherent with the feedback I have been getting from DMM about the Revolver.
Atleast I can personally testify that it takes a lot more than 3kN to stop it from rotating.

gymslackerclimber

Oct 1, 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #11 of 11 (3728 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

u know,,,
:idea:
after it has been brought to my attention..

i always thought how much i hate when people write those anagrams because i never know waht they mean,,..

So for those who give a darn,, JFWY - just flockin with you...

(well of course we all know waht flockin is aka for) ..

but on the other hand,,, the great sublime pleasure it brings you once you figure out those anagrams by yourself, now that,, is totally worth people putting them in.. :lol: :lol:

Hell,, its better than figuring out the phrase before the players in wheel of fortune ........

YEEEE HAAAW

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook