RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Slacklining

Premier Sponsor:

misanthropic_nihilist

Oct 3, 2005, 3:05 PM
Post #1 of 2 (1839 views)
Shortcut

Easy & Free way to improve 3:1 system
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

When setting up my slackline (using the simplest 3:1, inward spiral, autolocking setup), I usually find that the limiting factor in tensioning is how much I can pull on the free end of webbing. NOT my physical strength, but how hard I can grip a single piece of webbing or how much pain I can endure pulling on the webbing wrapped 10x around my hand.

Here's my simple and free solution to utilizing your maximum power:

On the free end of webbing that you pull (close to the pulley system), make a slipped overhand, then use that loop as the first loop in a daisy chain. String out the daisy chain as long as you want, then use all the loops in the chain as handles to pull on (I can get 2-3 fingers in each loop).

If you have enough webbing left over, get behind the tree and plant one foot against the trunk of the tree at waist level, keep your arms straight, and just 'squat pull' the webbing. I find it also helps a lot to give the webbing an initial HARD yank (by throwing your whole body backwards), to overcome the static friction in the setup.

When you're done, just pull on the very end of the webbing and the whole daisy chain comes undone.

I've used this technique to get as little as 1.5 feet of sag with a 150lb person on a 40 foot line. This weekend I also setup a 75 foot tree to tree tyro by myself using a 3:1 Z pulley system in static line using this handle method.

iltripp

Oct 3, 2005, 3:21 PM
Post #2 of 2 (1839 views)
Shortcut

Re: Easy & Free way to improve 3:1 system [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

You're quite right that actually gripping the line when pulling that hard is part of the problem, but if you improve your mechanical advantage, it will still make the whole process easier.

Here is a very quick and easy alternative:

1. Set up your normal 3:1 and get it nice and tight
2. Right at the point where the tail end exits the tightening system, tie a hitch and clip it with a biner. (I'm not sure what this knot is called, but you basically have a slip knot once it's unclipped.)
3. Run the tail through another biner on the anchor and back to the biner you just clipped.
4. Pull, and notice how much easier it is

Hope that helps.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook