RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

c22

Oct 12, 2005, 10:55 PM
Post #1 of 4 (1970 views)
Shortcut

ABS merger with USA climbing?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

What do you guys think about the changes?

madriver

Oct 14, 2005, 3:30 PM
Post #2 of 4 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Re: ABS merger with USA climbing? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

my initial reaction is negative. ABS (Scott Rennick) had a great vibe and feel. Local comps that were competitive if you wanted, fun, and laid back. These comps culminated into the best Indoor Comp ever held in the US of A. The Petzl/Roc ABS Chanpionship at Earth Treks, Timonium. The comp was electric, the ET crew put on a show not equaled to date. My concerns are this. USA Climbing is ALL about competitive climbing kids and their parents. ABS was about climbers or boulderers that could be competitive if they wanted or just climbers. USA is structure, olympics, world cup, rules, and goals. ABS was just a vision, a venture to have national and local low key comps. No structured rules, no teams, no screaming parents, just fun.
I hope the two are succesful together, I hope the parents stay out of it (ABS) and I wish all the best to Scott Rennick, I have the utmost respect for his vision and energy.

Good luck to all

Bob

humancrashpad

Oct 19, 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #3 of 4 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

uh, yeah.

amen.

tart

Oct 22, 2005, 11:11 PM
Post #4 of 4 (1970 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I think they still have a few details to work out.

For example, climbers for the USA at European Youth Cup comps don't earn "credit" toward the number of comps required to qualify for Regionals, meaning that it's very possible that they won't get the best climbers at Nationals again.

Also, for kids under the age of 16, some of the comps require that they climb only with the kids (like the Midnight Burn at the Philly Rock Gym). This doesn't give these kids the opportunity to climb and get beta from older, more experienced climbers. That was definitely an advantage of the old ABS system -- all climbers together having a great time, regardless of age.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook