RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - MidWest

Premier Sponsor:

dlintz

Oct 19, 2005, 2:46 PM
Post #1 of 7 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Holy Boulders....wow!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Private Reply | Can't Post

I just got back from a weekend in SoIll. A local at Jackson Falls recommended that we visit the Holy Boulders. After one wrong turn and a little searching we found them, or at least some of them. So...

I wasn't aware of any access issues. We're we okay to be back there?

I was looking for some names and grades of some problems. Up the hill away from the power lines there were two large boulders with several tall arete problems in the corridor between them. The arete problem on the eastern(?) bolders has left hand crimps and a right hand undercling knob and sloper up to a flat ledge below the top. Also, what's the name/grade of the straight-up crimper route on the opposite side of this boulder?

Thanks for any info. PM me if it's a secret, wink wink.

d.

crimpergirl

Oct 19, 2005, 3:14 PM
Post #2 of 7 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Re: Holy Boulders....wow!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post

Avoid the Holy Boulders during hunting season. That is no joke. They are awesome aren't they!

soillclimber

Oct 21, 2005, 6:50 PM
Post #3 of 7 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Dlintz, Glad you enjoyed the Boulders. They aren't secret, however they are very access sensitive and that is why it is hard to find info out about them. If you find out through a local, then the chances of understanding the situation are better. As Crimpergirl said, the boulders are to be avoided during hunting season this year again. They are actually closed and a sign will be posted during this time. We voluntarily avoid it so the owner (mr. Tripp) can hunt. Spread the word about these issues and we'll all be able to climb there for a long time. With that all said (sorry), the problem you were asking about is called Shadow of a Man and was named for an Oysterhead song and for the fact that on the first ascent th sun was right so you could see the shadow of the climber on it. See ya out there sometime soon. If you have other questions, you can email me anytime.

boondock_saint

Oct 21, 2005, 8:37 PM
Post #4 of 7 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Hey man what's up,

crimpy told me about your post in here (I guess you talked to a friend of hers while at JF and mentioned my gimpy-legged-friend Stphen). I'm one of the guys you all ate dinner with at the Pizza Hut .. heh ... what a small world.

I hope you guys enjoyed your weekend at the falls!

dlintz

Oct 21, 2005, 8:56 PM
Post #5 of 7 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

It is a small world. It was great meeting you guys and some others including Dave Chancellor. We had a lot of fun at JF and especially the Holies. I managed to onsight Comfortably Numb, easily my best send to date. I had no idea how good and skin friendly the bouldering was down in SoIll. My friends are already planning a return trip around Christmas, unfortunately I opting out of that trip for a 2 weeker to Hueco in January. Will it be too cold for them in SoIll say mid December? When is it safe to hit up the Holies again?

I'll definitely pm you guys when I come back down.

Doug

boondock_saint

Oct 22, 2005, 12:15 AM
Post #6 of 7 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

Yeah man any time you need information just PM, I'll do what I can to help out.

I'm glad you liked our sandstone ... that weekend was perfect.

Will your friends be okay in mid December? Well you'd have to ask me in mid December. Weather in this area is unpredictable. On an average I'd have to say it will be a little cold and unless it's a sunny day the rock is gonna be cold as ice but it always changes. I remember New Year's parties where everyone was in t-shirts, and then two days later having to wear 3 layers of clothing to school.

All of us you met that night plus some other others are going on a trip to Sam's Throne in Arkansas on Thanksgiving - so you can see even we are trying to migrate further south. I'd say early March is a pretty safe bet, sun will be strong enough to make it comfortable.

organic

Oct 23, 2005, 4:14 PM
Post #7 of 7 (2288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post

We usually climb in So. Ill. all year-round. The coldest times are from middle to late Jan. to March. End of March beggining of April it starts to warm up again. Glad you had a good time, lots of people really don't know how amazing So. Ill. is.

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - MidWest

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook