RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Beginners

Premier Sponsor:

carlitos

Nov 2, 2005, 12:38 AM
Post #1 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Shoes!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi,

I just bought the new PREDATOR shoes from Evolv, I'm a size 10.5 and got the shoes at 11, they are kinda tight though. I wanted to see if someone could give a review about this shoes, I will be doing sport climbing and bouldering for exercise.

They seem ok to me, but then again, I am just a beginner....

Thanks and Peace OUT

curt

Nov 2, 2005, 12:49 AM
Post #2 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Shoes!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

This......

http://www.rockclimbing.com/...ct.php?p=2267&list=1

....can be found in the RC.com Gear Guide.

Curt

jcr

Nov 2, 2005, 6:36 PM
Post #3 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

too big...

JC

squierbypetzl

Nov 2, 2005, 7:46 PM
Post #4 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Might be too big for you. Iīd actually bet on it.

Evolvīs are very good shoes, but they need to be VERY tight to get the most out of them.

carlitos

Nov 3, 2005, 2:25 AM
Post #5 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My feet hurt like a b...itch....I don't know but I've been told, your feet are supposed to hurt for a month or so!!

Thanks for the info,

VIVA POTRERO CHICO!!

jeffrogers

Nov 3, 2005, 9:34 PM
Post #6 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't agree with the really tight shoes thing. Everyone's feet are shaped differently and having your feet hurt everytime you climb is not fun to me. Climbing shoes take a while to get comfortable with depending on how much you use them. If you can climb in them and you can stand to wear them then they are fine

jeff

squierbypetzl

Nov 3, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #7 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
VIVA POTRERO CHICO!!

WUUUU!!!! VIVA!!!!!11

Iīm actually headed for Monterrey this Friday (mago de oz), but since Iīll be returning on Saturday, I donīt think Iīll get much climbing done... plus thereīs that tendinitis thing...

thor4life144

Nov 5, 2005, 1:39 AM
Post #8 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

For the most part, Evolve's run the same size as your street size. But to make absoultly sure, go on their website. They have a great sizing chart.

As for the shoe, I liked them a lot. Not the best shoe they make, but great for the price

Partner handtraverse

Nov 5, 2005, 3:07 AM
Post #9 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

carlitos wrote:

In reply to:
My feet hurt like a b...itch....I don't know but I've been told, your feet are supposed to hurt for a month or so!!

A well seasoned climber friend of mine told me that the shoes should be a little uncomfortable in the beginning as the leather will stretch slightly as they break in and should adjust to be fairly comfortable. However, they should always be nice and tight on your feet. You don't want your feet to "slide around inside your shoe. But you also don't want to be grimmacing in pain when you're trying to climb either...especially for a MONTH??..no way! (I've had that experience. I wound up throwing those rock shoes away).

The fact is: shoe size length and dimensions will differ from one manufaturer to the next. So you need to shop around till you find what's right for you. My foot is a 13 but I wound up buying a 14 in the particular brand I bought. In addition, I found that a lace up with a little less aggressive toe made my feet very happy and as a result climbing became a pleasant and rewarding experience.

I wound up getting a pair of "5.10's" (that's the brand name)...check 'em out!

http://www.fauxandwood.com/rockshoes1.JPG

http://www.fauxandwood.com/rockshoes2.JPG

Good luck.

Handtraverse

"Mountains are not fair or unfair - they are just dangerous." - Reinhold Messner

boadman

Nov 5, 2005, 4:14 AM
Post #10 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Evolv's don't stretch at all. At all. Not even a tiny bit. Buy them way looser than you would an unlined real leather shoe, or be willing to suffer for ever. The rubber doesn't wear out, so you won't even be able to buy a new pair for a long time. Good luck toe nails.

Partner handtraverse

Nov 5, 2005, 1:19 PM
Post #11 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Boadman wrote:
In reply to:
Evolv's don't stretch at all. At all. Not even a tiny bit.

Boadman, I'm curious, what type of material(s) are the Evolvs made of that they don't stretch? I'm not up on the whole gamut of rock shoe making so I was wondering if you could enlighten me.

Thanks, Handtraverse

You don't have to kick over the bee hive to take out the honey - Dale Carnegie

squierbypetzl

Nov 6, 2005, 6:47 AM
Post #12 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got back from Monterrey, and while I was there I tried on some Predators they had at the store.

I wear a size 11 or 12 US, and my current pair of rockshoes are something like 9 US. But when I tried on the Predators, I kept having to ask for a bigger size until I got to an 11.5 US that fit me just right... so maybe your Predators fit your foot perfectly afterall...

scarpa

Nov 6, 2005, 1:33 PM
Post #13 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

probably to big ,dont wear socks

porcelainsunset

Nov 6, 2005, 3:16 PM
Post #14 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Boadman wrote:
In reply to:

Boadman, I'm curious, what type of material(s) are the Evolvs made of that they don't stretch? I'm not up on the whole gamut of rock shoe making so I was wondering if you could enlighten me.

Thanks, Handtraverse

Hey, I use to sell Evolvs and loved them. The reason why Evolvs will not stretch at all is because they are a purely synthetic shoe. Most shoes are made out of leather, and that is the part that gives you the stretch. Leather shoes will give you about a quater of a size in streatch, but not all shoes. Some will give you less, and others more. My advice, ask the sales men. They should be able to answer this question for you very easily. If they dont know, ask for somebody who dose know, or go somewhere else. Carlitos, you got screwed. I'm sure that the salesmen told you that those shoes will stretch, and they won't, not even after a month. I would go back, and complain that you where sold a pair of shoes that dont fit you, and ask for in-store credit towards another pair of shoes.
I recomend most styles of Evolvs, as well as Mad Rock Phoenix and Flash for beginners. Reasons why. Evolvs are great for people who climb inside because the rubber is reasonably grippy, but more importantly, will last a long time. Dont buy Mad Rocks if you are just going to be climbing inside, you will get a toe blow in no time, rubber is to sticky. Also, Evolvs are really comfertable shoes, if they are sized right. If you are climbing inside, get lace ups. They are going to give you more support than slip ons or velcro, which you need if you are a beginner. Don't buy slip ons, you need a shoe with a stiffer sole to support your feet. Like your upper body, your feet are going to need time to develop weird muscles, and a thicker sole will help give you better support while your body is building these muscles. If your climbing outside, then go with something more convienet like the Flash, by Mad Rock. I would really recommend these shoes for any beginner who dose outdoor sport. They have supper sticky rubber, which makes smearing easy, and they come off and back on again quick, which is needed at a local crag, because as you can tell now, climbing shoes are not comfy, and sandals are a great thing to wear while belaying. Also, your not going to want to be wearing your shoes while your walking around on the ground, because packing dirt into your nice rubber is going to wear your shoes out, and make them less sticky. Wipe off your shoes before every time before you start climbing. Also, every month or so, take a wire brush and gently scrub the bottom of your shoes to get a new layer or rubber, dont do this to often though, only when needed.
Another great shoe is the Phoenix, thats what I put my girlfriend in when I started to teach her to climb. Good support, thick sole, sticky rubber. Only draw back is laces, which are a great thing for trad or all day shoes, but bad for outdoor sport, which is mostly what we stick to.

porcelainsunset

Nov 6, 2005, 3:22 PM
Post #15 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Boadman wrote:
In reply to:

Thanks, Handtraverse

Hey, I use to sell Evolvs and loved them. The reason why Evolvs will not stretch at all is because they are a purely synthetic shoe. Most shoes are made out of leather, and that is the part that gives you the stretch. Leather shoes will give you about a quater of a size in streatch, but not all shoes. Some will give you less, and others more. My advice, ask the sales men. They should be able to answer this question for you very easily. If they dont know, ask for somebody who dose know, or go somewhere else. Carlitos, you got screwed. I'm sure that the salesmen told you that those shoes will stretch, and they won't, not even after a month. I would go back, and complain that you where sold a pair of shoes that dont fit you, and ask for in-store credit towards another pair of shoes.
I recomend most styles of Evolvs, as well as Mad Rock Phoenix and Flash for beginners. Reasons why. Evolvs are great for people who climb inside because the rubber is reasonably grippy, but more importantly, will last a long time. Dont buy Mad Rocks if you are just going to be climbing inside, you will get a toe blow in no time, rubber is to sticky. Also, Evolvs are really comfertable shoes, if they are sized right. If you are climbing inside, get lace ups. They are going to give you more support than slip ons or velcro, which you need if you are a beginner. Don't buy slip ons, you need a shoe with a stiffer sole to support your feet. Like your upper body, your feet are going to need time to develop weird muscles, and a thicker sole will help give you better support while your body is building these muscles. If your climbing outside, then go with something more convienet like the Flash, by Mad Rock. I would really recommend these shoes for any beginner who dose outdoor sport. They have supper sticky rubber, which makes smearing easy, and they come off and back on again quick, which is needed at a local crag, because as you can tell now, climbing shoes are not comfy, and sandals are a great thing to wear while belaying. Also, your not going to want to be wearing your shoes while your walking around on the ground, because packing dirt into your nice rubber is going to wear your shoes out, and make them less sticky. Wipe off your shoes before every time before you start climbing. Also, every month or so, take a wire brush and gently scrub the bottom of your shoes to get a new layer or rubber, dont do this to often though, only when needed.
Another great shoe is the Phoenix, thats what I put my girlfriend in when I started to teach her to climb. Good support, thick sole, sticky rubber. Only draw back is laces, which are a great thing for trad or all day shoes, but bad for outdoor sport, which is mostly what we stick to.
The most important thing when buying shoes for beginners is comfort. Once youve been climging for a while, go tighter, and you will get more performance, but for now, go comfort. Pain is not going to help you climb better, it will only take away your focus. I climb 5.11, wear a 9.5 street shoe, and wear a 10.5 in rock shoes. All feet are different. Best advice I can give you is try on alot of pairs, like 8, climb on them on anything you can find in the store, dont wear socks, and go with whater fits your foot the best.

Partner handtraverse

Nov 6, 2005, 4:26 PM
Post #16 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bravo! Good stuff, porcelainsunset. It's been a great lesson and all my questions were answered! But this was meant for Carlitos.

Carlitos...you are now armored with knowledge. Now go. Climb happily. :wink:

Handtraverse

"Mountains are not fair or unfair - they are just dangerous." - Reinhold Messner

boadman

Nov 7, 2005, 3:11 AM
Post #17 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Boadman wrote:
In reply to:

Thanks, Handtraverse

The most important thing when buying shoes for beginners is comfort. Once youve been climging for a while, go tighter, and you will get more performance, but for now, go comfort. Pain is not going to help you climb better, it will only take away your focus. I climb 5.11, wear a 9.5 street shoe, and wear a 10.5 in rock shoes. All feet are different. Best advice I can give you is try on alot of pairs, like 8, climb on them on anything you can find in the store, dont wear socks, and go with whater fits your foot the best.

Yep. Evolv makes a great shoe, super durable, and they climb great, but they really don't stretch, and the rubber is slickery as a ____ (insert innappropriate off color simile here). I wouldn't suggest the predator as a first shoe, it's pretty performance oriented.

carlitos

Nov 7, 2005, 3:38 AM
Post #18 of 18 (3068 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thabks for the info, well to be honest my very first shoes were from boreal, the boot shapped ones, my dad used them back in 1982 when an uncle from the states got into climbing and started comin here to huasteca and potrero, they climbed trad.

I started going to climb like a year ago, with those shoes, which still worked!!!!! but now my first pair are the Evolv.

now a year later I am getting back to the rock, and I feel a great change with my new shoes..the hurtin is kinda dissapearing..but still hurts a bit.

Gettin used to them though,.......

GET READY FOR POTRERO CHICO,....SEASON IS COMIN UP!!!! WELCOME!!

THANKS AGAIN FOR THE INFO

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook