RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

vballboarder

Oct 31, 2005, 4:08 PM
Post #1 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Rope
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hey all,

I working on a project in my MBA program with a rope manufacturer looking at some new opportunities for stronger, lighter rope. Please take 1 minute to fill out this quick questionairre. You don't have to put in your name, email, etc. You won't get spammed, etc. It's short and straight forward.

Thanks

http://www.surveyz.com/TakeSurvey?id=35391

overlord

Oct 31, 2005, 8:38 PM
Post #2 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Rope [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

offcourse you realize you cant make climbing rope from spectra or kevlar??

trenchdigger

Oct 31, 2005, 9:22 PM
Post #3 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I went through the survey out of curiosity, and apparently he doesn't... :roll:

vballboarder

Nov 2, 2005, 8:51 PM
Post #4 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not making the rope. And whether you can or cannot make a rope out of kevlar or spectra is not the point of the survey.

The survey came from a rope manufacturer, whom I cannot name, and I passed it along.

Thanks to all who have submitted responses. The response was better than expected.

jt512

Nov 2, 2005, 8:53 PM
Post #5 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The survey came from a rope manufacturer, whom I cannot name, and I passed it along.

Thanks to all who have submitted responses. The response was better than expected.

Garbage In, Garbage Out.

vballboarder

Nov 6, 2005, 2:33 AM
Post #6 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Garbage In, Garbage Out.
Cool guy. You know, you're right. I wanted to go out and make a kevlar rope, but wanted to ask you first.

What a moron!

rmsusa

Nov 7, 2005, 8:01 PM
Post #7 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Why not? Couldn't it be used it for the core with sheath of nylon or polyester for abrasion and handling. There's a lot of escape rope (cord) out there for firefighters with this construction and it works quite well. Dynamic characteristics could probably be engineered into the braid.

jt512

Nov 7, 2005, 8:48 PM
Post #8 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Garbage In, Garbage Out.

Cool guy. You know, you're right. I wanted to go out and make a kevlar rope, but wanted to ask you first.

What a moron!

Apparently I need to elaborate: Your survey is so poorly constructed that it cannot possibly yield useful information.

-Jay

jimfix

Nov 7, 2005, 8:59 PM
Post #9 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Why not?... Dynamic characteristics could probably be engineered into the braid.

Nope. The dynamic nature of a rope is due to the weave and the fibers. A static fiber like kevlar isn't suitable. My bet is they are going to include a portion of a high durability fiber into the sheath to increase durability.

davidorchard

Nov 7, 2005, 9:01 PM
Post #10 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

just wanted to put in my 2 cents of possible missinformation here.

esprit ropes used to have a kevlar core, i have an old 11.3 mm one that is still bomber (it doesn't get used anymore, but i cant seem to get rid of it). the problem i had with it was the fact that it was white and got dirty looking so quick, but that is another story.

veganboyjosh

Nov 7, 2005, 9:10 PM
Post #11 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The dynamic nature of a rope is due to the weave and the fibers. A static fiber like kevlar isn't suitable. My bet is they are going to include a portion of a high durability fiber into the sheath to increase durability.

what about something like the non core lead in coax cable? iirc, it's woven from copper, and when you remove everything but the woven part, it's dynamic enough to be able to stretch and return to it's normal length/girth. i'm not advocating climbing on coax, but would this not be an example of a static material having been woven into a dynamic cord/rope?

vballboarder

Nov 7, 2005, 10:58 PM
Post #12 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The survey is for brand management to guage and understand users knowledge, perspective, thoughts, etc. of both Kevlar and Spectra.

The responses were useful and the survey was not constructed by me, and was constructed so at to get useful data, which it did. Like I said, whether or not you can make a climbing rope out of Kevlar or Spectra was not the point of the survey. Though it did bring up a nice discussion.

Again, thanks to those who responded.

jt512

Nov 7, 2005, 11:19 PM
Post #13 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The survey is for brand management to guage and understand users knowledge, perspective, thoughts, etc. of both Kevlar and Spectra.

Well, for 1000 bucks they could have hired a qualified marketing researcher to write a survey that would avoid idiotic questions like, "What comes to mind first when you hear Spectra?"

If you or they think that questions like the one above produce useful information, then you must have some new definition of "useful" in mind that I'm not familiar with.

-Jay

Edit: To reflect the actual wording of the question, which is even worse than I remembered it.

rainontin

Nov 7, 2005, 11:42 PM
Post #14 of 14 (2002 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If yes, what comes to mind first when you hear Spectra?

Agents of the Black Cloth Society descending upon my workplace with fully automatic weapons cutting down co-workers left and right. Ray, my immediate superior, is struck in the leg, chest, and arm; he is not going to make it. The rest of the staff is desperately running for cover, but in their haste they are clumsy and slow and every last one of them is gunned down. I am the only survivor. I glace around at my comrades, each one of them laying in a clump, bathing in their own blood. Limbs are sheared off by bullets, heads taken apart, bodies broken... One of the gunmen comes over to me, pistol in hand, but before he is able to carry out his nefarious duty he is distracted the colossal explosion of the drinking fountain to my right. Water is splashing everywhere, forming great pools of blood contaminated dihydrogenoxide. From one of these pools arises a Masked Avenger, who proceeds to do battle with the Black Cloth Society agents. The avenger has defeated all but on the the agents, who, knowing his cause is lost, activates his self-destruct device, causing the entire zip code to disappear of the face of the planet. And quickdraws...

6. What features define Spectra?

Smooth and sexy curves. The ability to "talk dirty." Luscious lips and a warm, soft, tight piece of rubber keeping each 'biner in place.

7. Who makes Spectra?

Jesus Christ, Superstar! Who are you? What have you sacrificed? Jesus Christ! Superstar! Are you really who you say you are?!?!?!

These should yield some interesting results...

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook