RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

nola_angie

Nov 11, 2005, 3:40 PM
Post #1 of 1 (349 views)
Shortcut

New warning about Birth Control
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

okay, ladies. Though I should share this.
"...The makers of a popular birth-control patch warned millions of women Thursday that the patch exposes them to significantly higher doses of hormones and may put them at greater risk for blood clots and other serious side effects than previously disclosed.

The warning from Johnson and Johnson subsidiary Ortho McNeil, makers of Ortho Evra, says women using the patch will be exposed to about 60 percent more estrogen than those using typical birth-control pills because hormones from patches get into the bloodstream and are removed from the body differently than those from pills.

Thursday's warning comes four months after reports that patch users die and suffer blood clots at a rate three times higher than women taking the pill..."

The full article can be found at http://www.cnn.com/2005/HEALTH/11/10/patch.warning.ap.ap/index.html

I had a friend who is a grad student in BioChem check into this for me, and he said the problem is abut as fuzzy as the Vioxx thing...17 out of 2 million women died from blood clots over 2 years while on the patch. Still, I think it's enough to warrant a heads-up to any women out there who may have risk factrs for clots already, and are on the patch. Also, I believe, because it's an artice that sites absorption of the drug as the factor, it may also apply to women who use the ring. So yeah, just a heads up. Don't panic, but be aware sort of post.

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook