RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jcr

Nov 16, 2005, 9:31 PM
Post #1 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Galileo!!! Galileo!!!
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Need input on these shoes (the new galileo from 5.10)!!!

Magazines talk miracles of these shoes, and I just cant wait to hear about REAL stories about them.... before I buy them.

Are they as good as they say they are?

Is the new rubber (onyx) better than C4? Stickier? Stronger?

Are they built on the same last as the anasazi velcro?

Are they meant for edging? cracks? overhangs?

Galileo vs. Anasazi?????

Keep the information comming..... I want to hear it ALL!!!!!

JC

martinheynert

Nov 16, 2005, 11:00 PM
Post #2 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Re: Galileo!!! Galileo!!! [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

One buddy here around returned his after just 4 weeks for quality problem.

One young female climber in our Alpenverein Sektion uses this shoe for competition climbing with very good results.

It is NOT build on the Anasazi Last (velcro). The form is different. The heel section is completely different. I tried them on an found the last to be wider than the Anasazi Velcro.

The shoe is harder than the Anasazi Velcro and, in this point, comes close to the Anasazi Lace-Up (which is my standard outdoor tool).

jcr

Nov 17, 2005, 7:53 PM
Post #3 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

NE one else?

JC

curt

Nov 17, 2005, 8:09 PM
Post #4 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

5.10 sent me a free pair of Galileos and unfortunately they just didn't fit my feet. I agree that they are not exactly the same last as the Anasazi velcro shoes, but the Galileo's do definitely have the Anasazi toe shape. Perhaps the closest other 5.10 shoe fit is the Azasazi Southwest. In any event, I didn't have too much trouble finding someone with different shaped feet who was willing to take them off my hands. He claims they are great face-climbing shoes.

Curt

mtikusis

Nov 17, 2005, 8:14 PM
Post #5 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Galileo's have honestly stepped up my climing from 5.11 leads to 5.12 leads in one week. The comfort, edging, and grip are like no other shoe I have worn. I have only had 5 other pairs though. I can't give them enough praise. Plus the rubber seems to be more durable.

climbrox391

Nov 17, 2005, 8:15 PM
Post #6 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just returned mine last week. After climbing in them five times, the sole began to separate from the rand on the right toe. Aside from the rubber issue, they broke in almost immediately and were very comfortable. Although I only climbed in them at a couple different areas, they performed well on sport and bouldering.

tonloc

Nov 17, 2005, 8:15 PM
Post #7 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

edge like mofo's and the new rubber is nicer than the c4. the shoe is wider and just has more volume in midfoot around the arch. try a half size down from the anasazi vcs and lace up. they will be hot shizzidy if you fit them right.

ping

Nov 25, 2005, 8:02 PM
Post #8 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I tried on the Galileos because I was in the market for a stiff performance shoe. They are stiff (moreso than the Anasazi Velcos, which I've also owned) but didn't fit my feet correctly: the heel slipped and there was too much open space around the toe box when I cinched down the velcro.

I think Evolv's Evo, coming out in 2006, will probably be a much better stiff performance shoe, judging from my experience with their Kaos and Bandit models.

jer99

Nov 25, 2005, 10:23 PM
Post #9 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If they fit your feet well they are amazing shoes for anything requiring edging. Ive owned a few pairs of anasazi velcros and prefer the galileo's. Never had any quality issues either

salamanizer

Nov 25, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #10 of 10 (2166 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had my pair of Galileo's sence July and have climbed with them on average, three to four days a week. They look to be about half worn out but concidering how much I use them, they are holding up well. I could never get my Anastazi's to last this long. The sole is thicker and there for stiffer than the Anastazi but seem to hold up much longer for obvious reasons. I climb mostly trad and they work well for this. They are comfortable enough for all day use and preform well enough to get my flailing a$$ up 5.11++. I like the beefier heal because it makes heal toeing in O.W's easier. I noticed the rubber to be more sticky than C4 upon my first climb. It is a noticeable differance but probably wont send you up a whole letter grade. My only complaint, the fabric on top next to my pinky toe is wearing out on both feet from jamming my toes in cracks. A larger toe rand and they would be the ultimate trad shoe for the harder grades IMO.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook