asura
Deleted

Sep 12, 2001, 10:46 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1456 views)
Shortcut

desensitized.....
Report this Post
Can't Post

As watching the continuous news coverage of the tragedy, especially the video of the 2nd plane that crashed into the WTC. How the plane seem to disappear into the building for a split sec before the building explodes. I can't seem to get the feeling of how unreal that footage seem. It looked too "cinematic"... To me images from movies always have a detach link to real life. In that movies always try to dramatize scenes to make it look extra spectacular. And it amazing how the crash footage of the plane into WTC look like the scene in the Matrix of the helicopter crash into the building (not the wobbly effect, but the explosion with the building after the wobbly effect).

And because it looked so cinematic, there's a sort of numbness to watching the footage. And this numbness is troubling. Am I (we in general) getting desensitized from movie violence? I know that people have been saying this for a long time. But because of the detached view that I held (movie is different from real life), I always thought that I wouldn't be desensitized because I can tell the difference between real life and the movie. But now looking at the tragic footage, it makes me wonder.......

docoorah

Sep 12, 2001, 11:51 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1456 views)
Shortcut

desensitized..... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

The next time you drive across a bridge and wonder if it'll be blown up, wonder if it's reality.

The next time you hear about an unprovoked attack on American Civillians, several thousand dying at once, wonder if THAT is reality.

asura
Deleted

Sep 13, 2001, 1:07 AM
Post #3 of 8 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

docoorah, you totally missed my point.

Movie violence has always been a stable of american movie experience. Movies exported over sea, had to edited for violence, while movies being played in the US has to be edited for sex content. (aint that something!)

My post is a reflection of personal values that I (thought) held truth (about being able to distinguish reality from movie). I'm not saying it doesn't looked real or that it's not reality. I'm just saying there's a certain numbness to it (doesn't mean that I don't care and it's not shocking). What is your first reaction to hearing/seeing the news (I bet it's whether it real or not, because it so unbelievable such a thing could happen).

And maybe we (Americans) need to re-evaluate what is acceptable exposure level of cinematic violence in TV and big screen.

asura
Deleted

Sep 13, 2001, 1:07 AM
Post #4 of 8 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

docoorah, you totally missed my point.

Movie violence has always been a stable of american movie experience. Movies exported over sea, had to edited for violence, while movies being played in the US has to be edited for sex content. (aint that something!)

My post is a reflection of personal values that I (thought) held truth (about being able to distinguish reality from movie). I'm not saying it doesn't looked real or that it's not reality. I'm just saying there's a certain numbness to it (doesn't mean that I don't care and it's not shocking). What is your first reaction to hearing/seeing the news (I bet it's whether it real or not, because it so unbelievable such a thing could happen).

And maybe we (Americans) need to re-evaluate what is acceptable exposure level of cinematic violence in TV and big screen.

kriso9tails

Sep 13, 2001, 3:27 AM
Post #5 of 8 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The film footage was heavily censored. What you didn't see was the bodies of the dead and dying strewn across the street. If you think about the nature of the accident, many of the bodies that they are now finding must be mutilated, and believe me, even the Palestinians would not be celebrating those images. To show the accident in all its horror would be disrespectful to the dead and the loved ones they left behind, plus it would be gruesom sensationalism, and in such an event, the viewers should not be assulted with such images.

The images that they did show do allow the mind emotionally rationalize differently than what you know logically. It's mental self defence. How do you think people are able to fly over cities and bomb innocent civillians? It's not that these people are bad or desensitized or phsycopathic; it's just because their minds allow them to deny the impact of the act on some level to prevent them from a) becomming so focused on tradgedy that they can't function well to survive, and b) to prevent insanity.

[ This Message was edited by: kriso9tails on 2001-09-12 20:28 ]

asura
Deleted

Sep 13, 2001, 6:32 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So I wondering if the media is preparing the general public for what's to come. The retaliation even against innocent people.......

krillen

Sep 13, 2001, 6:42 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I can see his point. Right now if you don't know anybody in that area, or haven't been there to make a personal conncection, there's a HUGE surrealistic nature to it, where you JUST can't grasp the full effects, and ramifications of what has happened. You are fully conscious ot it all, btu deep down it hasn't really taken root yet.

It's almost like denile in a way.

[ This Message was edited by: krillen on 2001-09-13 12:08 ]

docoorah

Sep 14, 2001, 1:19 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1456 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I feel that I understood your point, but I was making an attempt to redirect your attention to the line between truth and fiction.

I agree with the fact that what you were shown on TV is censored...I was in Somolia and Haiti in 1994 and when I came back, I watched several hours of video that was from "the war zone in Mogadishu" and the "war zone" was a glorified paintball fight, not the blood splattered faces of Marines and Sailors who spent hours pinned down in firefights, not the burned skeletons of Somalis who were attacked by Cobra gunships and blown off roofs by missiles.

I am all too aware of what you were getting at; I hope my statements now reflect my true intent.

Climb on, America.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook