RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

capn_morgan

Dec 7, 2005, 9:51 PM
Post #1 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Climbing Community in Flagstaff
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Afternoon everyone. I am graduating from college in about 3 days. I am interviewing for a job in Flagstaff and was curious about what the climbing scene was like there? Is there a pretty active group of locals? Is there much new route development in the area? Is the area more oriented toward Trad? sport? ...Bouldering? I have spent the last 4 years in upstate ny and really enjoy the type of climbing community here in the daks, so if I am going to move out west Id like to know what that aspect is going to be like.

Any other insights into living in the area would alos be appreciated..

Peace, Jeremy

jt512

Dec 7, 2005, 9:53 PM
Post #2 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Re: Climbing Community in Flagstaff [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Afternoon everyone. I am graduating from college in about 3 days. I am interviewing for a job in Flagstaff and was curious about what the climbing scene was like there? Is there a pretty active group of locals? Is there much new route development in the area? Is the area more oriented toward Trad? sport? ...Bouldering? I have spent the last 4 years in upstate ny and really enjoy the type of climbing community here in the daks, so if I am going to move out west Id like to know what that aspect is going to be like.

Any other insights into living in the area would alos be appreciated..

Peace, Jeremy

Everyone in Flagstaff climbs...or at least wears climbing clothes.

Jay

leapinlizard

Dec 7, 2005, 10:18 PM
Post #3 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flagstaff is a world class area with any type of climbing you might want within a short drive. There is the limestone canyon called the pit where there are numerous bolted routes, awesome for pumping your arms. The Preist Draw boulders that Sharma climbed in one of his vids are almost right across the street. Paradise Forks which is the end of Sycamore canyon has spectacular columnal basalt trad routes. If you want granite you can drive to Prescott (its not that far). For sandstone you have Oak Creek Canyonand Sedona. For gyms you have Vertical relief, on San Francisco St. The Community is immense. Wired Bliss Cams call Flagstaff home, as well as A5 before it sold out to North Face. I had met John Middendorf in Flag when they were haveing their Sell out sale. There are a lot of climbers and river runners as well. If you are in need of some buildering there are some buildings on the NAU campus that have been rated as well. Have fun and good luck, I am moving up there in about 10 months myself.. Cheers

abbysomebody

Dec 7, 2005, 11:21 PM
Post #4 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just spent a few days in flagstaff over thanksgiving break and was very impressed by the climbing and the climbing community, as well as the town of flagstaff (macy's is such a cool cafe!). my friend and i bouldered for a couple days at priest draw, which was super cool- fun climbing and a beautiful area- and the locals we met at the draw, as well as in town, were among the friendliest climbers i've met anywhere- very helpful and seemed to be lacking the lame attitude that i've encountered elsewhere. flagstaff seemed definitely worth looking into if you have a job opportunity there.

djoseph

Dec 7, 2005, 11:37 PM
Post #5 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The folks in Flagstaff are probably the friendliest bunch of people I've ever met. And the climbers are even more so.

If/when you get to town, stop by the Vertical Relief rock gym and talk to John (the owner) and the staff there... Or just boulder for an hour in the gym, and meet the members. Really open, friendly folks.

And though Macy's coffee shop is cool (as a previous poster pointed out), I was always partial to Late for the Train on San Fransisco street. Triple Americano for $1.96. Can't be beat. :D

Dan

ikefromla

Dec 7, 2005, 11:43 PM
Post #6 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A) Flag is fantastic

B) Late for the Train is as well

C) I have a bunch of friends there and I tend to think they're alright people.

D) Refer to Boldering.com to speak first hand with many real life flaggots.

and E) there is no climbing in or around Flagstaff, DUH.

climbingbums

Dec 8, 2005, 12:05 AM
Post #7 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, i live here. its pretty cool. as far as "classic" areas, id say its a pretty good place. Indian Creek is only a few hours away, as is zion, red rocks, and a lot of other world class areas. flagstaff has good climbing too, the overlook is really close trad and has a couple of really good routes, and paradise forks is a little farther but has awesome climbs. bouldering is great, kelly canyon, the glorias, and even priests draw. sport is decent, the pit is pretty cool. prescott is close, and i believe has awesome everything. theres granite mountain, the dells, groom creek, and a lot of areas that are kinda hush-hush (being developed and were kinda sick of prescott college students). if you come down id be happy to show you around town before you make a decision. good luck with the decision!

bobby

epic_ed

Dec 8, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #8 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We often have discussions about the "perfect" place to live for climbing, and Flagstaff always gets mentioned frequently. The only down side is the cost of living and finding gainful employment. I'm not sure what kind of job you're applying for, but if you can find a way to make ends meet it's a paradise for climbers.

Ed

superbum

Dec 8, 2005, 2:21 AM
Post #9 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

word.

capn_morgan

Dec 8, 2005, 9:43 PM
Post #10 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks Guys... From what I can find, the cost of living is comparable to the albany area which isnt too bad. Its a Product Design/ Engineering job for a biomed company so Im pretty sure I could swing it. Is there ANY ice within a few hours drive? That is the one thing that I feel would be missing....it being the desert and all.

crackmd

Dec 8, 2005, 9:57 PM
Post #11 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am working on lining up a sweet job in Flagstaff middle of next year. I cannot think of a better place to live as a climber. My fiance and I were looking for a town with easy access to a wide variety of climbing types for which Flagstaff fits the bill. Between awesome hard cracks at the Forks, overhanging limestone at the Pit and Jack's, adventure sandstone in Sedona, and close proximity to Vegas, Moab, Zion, etc, Flagstaff is the real deal. I have always dreamed of living in a town where I can get off work and get in some cragging for a few hours on a summer afternoon which is completely feasible in Flagstaff. We checked out homes in the area which were above average in price but far lower than what is available in San Diego. Needless to say, I am counting down the days until I move there.

crackmd

Dec 8, 2005, 9:59 PM
Post #12 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am working on lining up a sweet job in Flagstaff middle of next year. I cannot think of a better place to live as a climber. My fiance and I were looking for a town with easy access to a wide variety of climbing types for which Flagstaff fits the bill. Between awesome hard cracks at the Forks, overhanging limestone at the Pit and Jack's, adventure sandstone in Sedona, and close proximity to Vegas, Moab, Zion, etc, Flagstaff is the real deal. I have always dreamed of living in a town where I can get off work and get in some cragging for a few hours on a summer afternoon which is completely feasible in Flagstaff. We checked out homes in the area which were above average in price but far lower than what is available in San Diego. Needless to say, I am counting down the days until I move there.

cchas

Dec 8, 2005, 10:54 PM
Post #13 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Capt_mrgn.... when you get into town look me up for ice climbing. Was up in Silverton last weekend (Durango is 5hrs away being conservative through the Res).

The community here is very supportive with a great attitude.

The climbing areas in and near town are good to very good.... Grab a copy of "A cheep way to fly" by Toula nd you will see: as for areas (with star ratings)

Trad:
Paradise Forks- Columner Basaltic ***, The Overlook- columner basalt 1/2*, Waterfall, Columner basalt ***, Sedona- sandstone ***

Sport:
The Pit: limestone **, Jacks Canyon (about 1 hr away)

Then to the north is Indian Creek (4hrs), to the west, Red Rocks (4 hrs). As for ice, the entire San Juans in south western Colorado is open for weekend trips (Telleride, Ames, Durango, Silverton....)

desrtrockrat

Dec 8, 2005, 11:03 PM
Post #14 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Your probably going to have to drive to Colorado for the ice. But with your job Im sure you'll be able to pull that off.

To be honest. Flag is a days drive from every type of climbing that you could ever dream of and much of that is within 4 hours. The ice will take a bit more but given the quality that Ive heard about Colorado it will be worth the drive.

ktotheidwell

Dec 8, 2005, 11:14 PM
Post #15 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Just moved to Denver from AZ, and I can tell you Flagstaff is the Bomb. Also if you like chaucy sandstone, you wont want to miss the classic sandstone spires just a half hour away in Sedona. The place is awesome.

CK

bvb

Dec 9, 2005, 12:12 AM
Post #16 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

you people are CRAZY. moving to flagstaff is a decisions i will regret FOREVER. the place is total CHOSS. ALL OF IT. God, i HATE flagstaff. it's HELL on EARTH. the chicks are ugly, the bars suck, there's no climbing to speak of, it's got the worst weather on the planet, and the whole damn town reeks of locomotive diesel exhaust and patchouli oil. in three years of looking, i've only found about a dozen new areas. what's up with THAT? Flag is PLAYED, man. don't buy the hype. boulder, colorado is where you wanna be.

think i'm kidding? just log on over at boldering.com and ask if flag is any good. you'll get a taste of the so-called "friendly locals". they are a bunch of secretive, alcoholic, self-absorbed, egotistic, pot-smoking ASSHOLES.

swear to god man, this place SUCKS. S - U - C - K - S. ask curt, he'll back me up on this one.

mcfoley

Dec 9, 2005, 12:25 AM
Post #17 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Flag is great. I went to NAU, on the 10 year plan. I can't believe I ever left!!!
Oh yeah, no decent paying job's and the housing market was out of reach for a new grad.

I will move back to the mountains in the next few years and Flag will be on the list of possibilities.

I can't believe no one mentioned BEAVER STREET BREWERY...
WTF PEOPLE or Mogollion Brewery or ABC-Flag brew.

Good "green" too if you aren't into beer...lol

Maceys is great! Late for the train...their croissants baked with jalapeno jack and turkey!!! MMMMM
YUM!!!

Can't forget LaBellavia and Brandy's for breakfast.

Oh yeah...Flagstaff has some of the BEST Mtn Biking Trails too.

I really can't say enough good things about Flag.

I miss it...or maybe i miss the idea of it?

sorry for the rant...

sonso45

Dec 9, 2005, 1:03 AM
Post #18 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You can always just drive there like the other phoenicians.

tenesmus

Dec 9, 2005, 1:18 AM
Post #19 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don't listen to Bob. Flagstaff is the BEST mountain town in the whole world. There isn't a better climbing town in America. You can't go wrong there.

Climbers from everywhere should sack up and move there as fast as they can or BVB will have done all the first ascents there. OK, so not really - no one has that much time on their hands - there's more than enough virgin rock there for you and all of your friends. There are great crags and boulders for everyone's fancies. People are friendly. Cheap beer sold by the gallon. Loads of cheap dope. Great coffee shops. You can't miss. Just PM BVB and he'll tell you all about it. He loves sharing Flagstaff to all climbers. Its what he lives for.

bvb

Dec 9, 2005, 1:56 AM
Post #20 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flagstaff: armpit of america. all fat housewives in huge SUV's; hot, humid, miserable summers; bone-cold winters that never see the sun; high cost of living, low quality of life; oh for god's sake.....i'm gonna go slit my wrists now.

goodby, cruel town.

sidepull

Dec 9, 2005, 2:59 AM
Post #21 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm surprised by the overall positive tone of the thread (am I really? - it seems most poster are from flag so maybe this is a biased sample). I've been to flag - impressive amounts of rock, great scene and scenery, picked up a sweet t-shirt at the thrift store, etc. So I like the place. I'd like to spend more time there.

What makes me a bit confused, is that, in the virtual world (here, b.com, norope, mostly b.com and the old azbouldering site) I read a lot of spray about - gasp - "flaggots." I've never experienced this myself, but because this is a thread about the community, I'm wondering if anyone has experienced the elitism and localism that others have complained about or was it just an internet farce like the photos of bert (from bert and ernie fame) with osama bin laden?

superbum

Dec 11, 2005, 7:59 AM
Post #22 of 22 (2459 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yep, hippies and trains. I climbed a basalt boulder there once...it was like four feet high and in some rich person's backyard.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook