RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Competition Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

oldhippywithdog

Dec 19, 2005, 11:55 AM
Post #1 of 3 (1483 views)
Shortcut

Organizing a college climbing comp
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am in a position to help organize my university's relatively new annual climbing competition. The competition brought about 50 people in last year and we're obviously trying to grow. I have big shoes to fill since last year prizes included 2 nice hang boards, a rope, free gym passes, clothing, and other usual goodies. I have never been associated with organizing a competition however I am going to be learning from several individuals key to bringing the comp together last year. I could use any suggestions or places of reference so I can approach the other people working on the comp with a little knowledge of the process.
thanks for any help

ahwoo

Dec 19, 2005, 12:46 PM
Post #2 of 3 (1483 views)
Shortcut

Re: Organizing a college climbing comp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

well, we had somebody from our university's organization plan a comp. last year. we basically piggybacked one of the usa climbing competitions. we had the gym to ourselves after usa climbing had gone through their sessions. the benefit of this was having new, well-set routes without having to deal with all the hassle. as for prizes, i believe the owner of the gym went through their sponsors for those. of course, this wasn't an official university function (we aren't officially endorsed by UT's recsports program), which made things a lot easier for us (dealing with the university can be such a pain sometimes). don't really know if this helps.

oldhippywithdog

Dec 19, 2005, 7:04 PM
Post #3 of 3 (1483 views)
Shortcut

Re: Organizing a college climbing comp [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Our university has a 55 foot wall and a modest bouldering grotto in which we hold the comp. I should have clarified this. The Outdoor Recreation Center is the sort of management for the climbing facility and although these guys do not have a huge background in climbing they have done a good job with the wall and the comp so far. I am just looking for an overview of the steps that are taken in preperation for a competition assuming that route setters are on hand and flyering will bring a crowd of 40-70 ppl.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Competition Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook