RSS FeedRSS Feeds for US - Mountain States

Premier Sponsor:

duppyc

Jan 2, 2006, 2:04 PM
Post #1 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Quandary Peak on MLK day?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'll be in Summit County for the week that starts with MLK day(Jan 16th I think). Anyone want to climb up Quandary Peak on MLK day?

crzdriver

Jan 6, 2006, 1:17 AM
Post #2 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Re: Quandary Peak on MLK day? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've taken duppyc up on his offer. I've crunched some numbers, and the upper slope on the east face appears to be around 20 degrees in steepness, give or take. Looks like 1000 feet vertical in 2640 feet horizontal, again estimate. We are climbing the east ridge, and would like to ski down. Anyone done it recently or have any good beta on a winter ski there? It bothers me that it's on a lee slope; anyone know if this thing likes to slide or not? If in doubt, I'll just hike back down, but if it is a kosher run barring bad weather, it looks like fun.

steamboatclimber

Jan 7, 2006, 1:55 AM
Post #3 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out www.14ers.com They have some good info on the ski routes on the east side of Quandry. Someone there might be able to give you a better assement of the current stability too.

zozo

Jan 7, 2006, 2:10 AM
Post #4 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The avalanche conditions for the east / south east look pretty severe right now.

mother_sheep

Jan 7, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #5 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you set on Quandary? I've already done 3 ascents on that peak (summer, winter and technical). If you're interested in hitting something else, I'd be in. Would like to do the Sawtooth between Bierstadt and Evans this winter.

steamboatclimber

Jan 7, 2006, 5:28 PM
Post #6 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sawtooth in the winter sounds like fun. I would be in for that.

duppyc

Jan 12, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #7 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the interest, As of today the Quandary Peak climb is on for Monday morning, Jan. 16th. Short of a major snowstorm crzdriver and I are going to break trail early in the morning. Anyone else up for it?

krusher4

Jan 12, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #8 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Regarding the ski decent. I was up there last winter and the wind had blow the snow down to the talus. And what was left was an icy rocky mess. So just check out the mountain first.

killclimbz

Jan 12, 2006, 5:16 PM
Post #9 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sorry I didn't chime in earlier on the ski descent down the East Face of Quandary. It is generally a safe one, if you stay away from the obvious traps. Depending on how blown off the snow is you may or may not be able to start from near or at the summit. The first 500 or so vertical is where you need to watch out for avy danger. Skiers left on this first pitch, there is a section that steepens to well over 30 degrees. This is the main killer. Stay more skiers right as close to the ridge line as you can. The other advantage is that you should be able to roll right over to the next pitch instead of hiking back up. From here you should be able to pick a line that takes you back to your trail near the snow line. Again watch out for the steeper pitches. Bring avy gear. This monday is looking at a possible shot of weather. If it isn't a bluebird day, I would not want to be on that ridge trying to ski it. It's wide open with no trees. Visibility could be very poor which might lead to you ended up in a bad spot.
You should be able ski the line with sight of the trail you used to climb up. It is a good long descent and much easier than hiking back down too.

duppyc

Jan 12, 2006, 6:23 PM
Post #10 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To be extra safe, we've decided to hike up, hike down, we'll leave the boards in the car.

killclimbz

Jan 12, 2006, 9:48 PM
Post #11 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To be extra safe, we've decided to hike up, hike down, we'll leave the boards in the car.

With or without the boards the avy danger is very real on that peak. It is also very easy to avoid. I don't think you are putting yourself in any more or less danger by bringing or not bringing the boards. No matter how you do this, I highly recomend bringing basic avy gear with you. If the unthinkable happens and someone gets buried without a beacon, and friends to locate and dig, that's it. We've already had 4 avy related deaths this season, ranging from Snowshoer's to biler's. Don't go unprepared.

crzdriver

Jan 13, 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #12 of 12 (1637 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Probe and shovel are already in my pack. I just got my touring rig setup this week, and I've been hitting Copper Mt. in my spare time. I'm too shaky on the things right now, so I'll forgoe the ski descent. I'm no stranger to backing off if the weather is too sour, and I'm keeping a close eye on the next system developing. Thanks a lot for the info!

Forums : Climbing Partners : US - Mountain States

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook