Premier Sponsor:

mr-pink
Deleted

Jan 11, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #1 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

c3's??
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I got the following question:

Are the c3's allready produced? I've read an article on a gear-meeting which talks about c3's.
I'd like a C3's, in europe that is.

(I've did a search but didn't find anything.)

Oh, and If you know the price, please tell me.

thanks!

Partner tim

Jan 11, 2006, 8:04 PM
Post #2 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Re: c3's?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

(edit: Not yet in production, but accepting pre-orders on their site.)

http://www.bdel.com/gear/c3.php

Price is listed as $69.95.

I have trouble getting over the alien-anal-probe look, and I already have a couple sets of beat-up Aliens, but perhaps when I wear down the smallest aliens I will take a closer look at these. They seem cleverly designed.

You can always email Black Diamond about this sort of question -- when I have made bizarre requests (larger power straps for my wife's Scarpa boots, replacement parts for Whippets and Bionics, etc.) they've always been very responsive.

Partner kimgraves

Jan 11, 2006, 8:16 PM
Post #3 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The Black Diamond website says that the C3's will be available "Spring 2006" but that you can preorder them now. So it seems like they are not yet in production.

Partner tim

Jan 11, 2006, 8:20 PM
Post #4 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My bad. It looked like they were available but then I went back and read the fine print -- before you posted, but after I had posted they were "in production".

The suggestion to contact BD directly stands, though ;-)

chanceboarder

Jan 11, 2006, 8:22 PM
Post #5 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

what i don't get is why they have a $70 price tag on them. thats almost as much as the combined price i paid for the 2 new metolious ultralight TCU's i picked up a month ago. anyone know why the high price tag?

porcelainsunset

Jan 14, 2006, 9:14 AM
Post #6 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have touched, played with, and placed the new C-3's in several sizes. I had the honor of doing this yesterday. The buyer of Climb Max was sent a size run, and he let me play around with them in the store. Maybe he will let me take them out climbing with him :D , yeah... not going to happen. :(
The new C-3's are supper funky looking, but do have some pretty nice action like their predecessors the C-4's. Smother than aliens, but I still feel more comfortable with my Aliens. The benefit that I remember is that they had a longer smoother action because they used springs rather than cables to connect the main shaft to the cam lobes for the contracting mechanism. I'll have a closer look at them on Sunday and post again comparing them to CCH, WC, and the C-4. Full report! :lol:

iamcolinslack

Jan 14, 2006, 7:46 PM
Post #7 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

ugliest fuckin cam ever.

porcelainsunset

Jan 14, 2006, 9:59 PM
Post #8 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
ugliest f--- cam ever.

Well stated, and over priced.

jimdavis

Jan 15, 2006, 3:35 AM
Post #9 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
what i don't get is why they have a $70 price tag on them. thats almost as much as the combined price i paid for the 2 new metolious ultralight TCU's i picked up a month ago. anyone know why the high price tag?

Um, yeah...it's BD.

Cobra's ($270), Camalots (up to $112), Yosemite Wall Hammer ($87.50 for a F*ing hammer)...what were you expecting?

I like their biners, but the rest of their gear I hardly find worth the cost.

Cheers,
Jim

Partner holdplease2

Jan 15, 2006, 3:48 AM
Post #10 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It looks to me like when you place them in a pin scar, the trigger will be forced to remain perpendicular to the rock face, and this will mean that you are levering out on the placement when you stand on it.

And with a double stem they will likely be stiff, so I wouldn't count on plugging them in a placement where the head needs to be anywhere close to perpendicular to the ground, such as a shallow pod,becuse they would torque out.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I could be wrong, but...

I have no use for a narrow-headed cam which doesn't work in pin scars or shallow pods. That's the whole point, right? And if the head dosn't need to be narrow, give me a FCU, so that I can have more contact between rock and cam in thin, dicy placements.

$70. Yikes.

I'm not thrilled with CCH, but this doesn't seem like the kind of thing that could replace hybred aliens, or aliens of any kind.

-Kate.

Partner heiko

Jan 15, 2006, 10:22 PM
Post #11 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have touched, played with, and placed the new C-3's in several sizes. I had the honor of doing this yesterday. The buyer of Climb Max was sent a size run, and he let me play around with them in the store. Maybe he will let me take them out climbing with him :D , yeah... not going to happen. :(
The new C-3's are supper funky looking, but do have some pretty nice action like their predecessors the C-4's. Smother than aliens, but I still feel more comfortable with my Aliens. The benefit that I remember is that they had a longer smoother action because they used springs rather than cables to connect the main shaft to the cam lobes for the contracting mechanism. I'll have a closer look at them on Sunday and post again comparing them to CCH, WC, and the C-4. Full report! :lol:

Correct me if I'm wrong... C4s are four-cam-units, C3s are three-cam-units, and they cover a totally different size-range. You'll have a hard time comparing a C3 to a C4 because even the smallest C4 is bigger than the largest C3.
http://www.bdel.com/images/details/c3_range.jpg

Just my 2c.

sbaclimber

Jan 15, 2006, 10:37 PM
Post #12 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...even the smallest C4 is bigger than the largest C3.
:? that very chart shows the largest C3 being as having exactly the same max range as the #0.3 C4! You are contradicting yourself.
That aside, I don't quite understand either, how C4s are supposed to be the 'predecessors' of the C3s. The old micro-camalots, maybe. The C4s, no!

Partner heiko

Jan 15, 2006, 10:41 PM
Post #13 of 13 (2179 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
...even the smallest C4 is bigger than the largest C3.
:? that very chart shows the largest C3 being as having exactly the same max range as the #0.3 C4! You are contradicting yourself.

True true. So you can compare one pair #2 and #0.3, indeed. My fault :oops:

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook