Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

andrurok

Jan 16, 2006, 4:56 PM
Post #26 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Re: women and one arms [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

i know an 8 year old girl that can do 65 GOOD chinups in a row. it's pretty weird. i'll ask her to try the one arm.

cliffwoman

Jan 16, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #27 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jred wrote:[
Thank-you, I was seriously begining to wonder if it was possible or not. I assume that you saw this with your own eyes and I do trust that what you are saying is true, but a picture would be great for sure. Just to confirm, did she did start all the way down and bring her chin to about her hands height without holding her wrist or any other part of her arm?
it was pretty damn impressive -- she started all the way down and without assistance = totally legit. those gymnasts are nuts though, she's a tiny person

cfnubbler

Jan 16, 2006, 5:39 PM
Post #28 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I seem to recall that Barb Devine of Gunks fame could do one-arms...anybody else remember this? Or was it that she could do pinch-grip pullups from rafters. I can't remember. Anybody?

-Nubbler

vervaeke

Jan 16, 2006, 10:40 PM
Post #29 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
rvega,
Achieving a one arm while using your other arm for assistance has to count for something, so i am definately not slandering your past success......although...holding your wrist with your other arm actually takes a great amount of weight off and is not comparable in difficulty to a single arm pull up. If you are making any effort with your opposite hand other than scratching your thigh or something of the sort, it doesnt count as a "ONE arm" pull up.
Chosschick, you whore. Why are you being so elitist? Apparently you think you can play god here just because this thread is about you. Clearly this whole thread has shown us that women CANNOT do a one arm pullup. Therefore, rvega is doing the proper female one arm pullup. Way to go rvega! Keep up the good work.

jred

Jan 16, 2006, 10:53 PM
Post #30 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
rvega,
Achieving a one arm while using your other arm for assistance has to count for something, so i am definately not slandering your past success......although...holding your wrist with your other arm actually takes a great amount of weight off and is not comparable in difficulty to a single arm pull up. If you are making any effort with your opposite hand other than scratching your thigh or something of the sort, it doesnt count as a "ONE arm" pull up.
Chosschick, you whore. Why are you being so elitist? Apparently you think you can play god here just because this thread is about you. Clearly this whole thread has shown us that women CANNOT do a one arm pullup. Therefore, rvega is doing the proper female one arm pullup. Way to go rvega! Keep up the good work.
verv, I can not agree with your insensitive approach to chosschicks post, why so hostile? I am starting to question whether your opinion of women and one arms is in fact accurate though. Come on strong girls post up with some pictures, I was pretty damn sure about this ,not so much anymore.

nd2boostt

Jan 17, 2006, 4:25 PM
Post #31 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Girls can't do one arm pullups. Their anatomy doesn't allow it. If any girls post on here saying that they've done one arm pullups, they're lying or hermaphrodite. It's just a medical fact.

Funny....all this time I thought people did one-armed pull ups with their ARM, not their penis. Guess I must be wrong.

:roll: :roll:

aikibujin

Jan 17, 2006, 5:03 PM
Post #32 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Not many men can do a one-armed pullup; I got to the point where I could do one, and promptly began having ferocious elbow tendinitis in both arms. ... Of course, if your biomechanics are like mine, it will probably destroy your tendons. About 60% of climbers reporting medial epicondylitis (climber's elbow) also report including fixed-grip pull-ups as part of their training regimen.

Did one-armed pullup play any role in causing your elbow tendinitis? I don't do any pullups, because I understand that fixed-grip pullups is pretty bad for my elbows. But I thought in an one-arm pullup, since you only have one point of contact with the grip, your body tend to rotate around this point, there shouldn't be any inherent danger in doing one-arm pullups in terms of biomechanics? Just curious to why you think one-arm pullups would destroy tendons.

jred

Jan 17, 2006, 9:18 PM
Post #33 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Did one-armed pullup play any role in causing your elbow tendinitis? I don't do any pullups, because I understand that fixed-grip pullups is pretty bad for my elbows. But I thought in an one-arm pullup, since you only have one point of contact with the grip, your body tend to rotate around this point, there shouldn't be any inherent danger in doing one-arm pullups in terms of biomechanics? Just curious to why you think one-arm pullups would destroy tendons.One arms are hard on the body for a couple of reasons, 1)Your body position is much lower with a one arm putting greater stress on the rotator cuff, even when your body is twisting it can only twist so far,2) you are pulling all of your body weight with one arm which puts great stress on your elbows.
These are more personal observations than medical facts so please take them with a grain of salt

madriver

Jan 17, 2006, 9:54 PM
Post #34 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...hep...
http://www.rockclimbing.com/...p.cgi?Detailed=53831

jred

Jan 17, 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #35 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Awesome! She looks pretty strong, is that your daughter?
Tell this girl she is in very limited company. I have read that 1 in 10,000 men can do a one arm pull-up, I suspect that the numbers are much lower for women.

madriver

Jan 18, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #36 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jred wrote:

In reply to:
Awesome! She looks pretty strong, is that your daughter?

...yes she is Awesome!
...yes she is incredibly strong
...yes she is my daughter
...yes she has very good genes!!! :lol: :lol:

sadly she is not climbing at the moment. School and Field Hockey have stolen her... :cry:

curtis_g

Jan 18, 2006, 9:30 PM
Post #37 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Girls can't do one arm pullups. Their anatomy doesn't allow it. If any girls post on here saying that they've done one arm pullups, they're lying or hermaphrodite. It's just a medical fact.

you are a bigot...and you are stupid

Partner tim

Jan 18, 2006, 10:19 PM
Post #38 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
[quote="aikibujin"]
In reply to:
Not many men can do a one-armed pullup; I got to the point where I could do one, and promptly began having ferocious elbow tendinitis in both arms. ... Of course, if your biomechanics are like mine, it will probably destroy your tendons. About 60% of climbers reporting medial epicondylitis (climber's elbow) also report including fixed-grip pull-ups as part of their training regimen.

Did one-armed pullup play any role in causing your elbow tendinitis?

Probably not, simply because I was never able to do more than one, and then only on my best days. One arms are fucking hard. However, they don't inherently thrash your elbows. I think the cause of my medial epicondylitis was fixed-grip chins/pullups (usually 90 degrees rotated out, eg. perpendicular to the usual chin-up bar you come across in some old gyms) for many years, and bad habits stemming from them.

Needless to say I don't do fixed (in any plane) grip pullups anymore. I do have a set of rock rings, and campus around on the rafters with my ice tools, etc. Sometimes I will do assisted one-arms, but that's about it as far as anything fixed-grip goes.

In reply to:
Just curious to why you think one-arm pullups would destroy tendons.

Just to clarify -- I don't think it was the (few) one-arm pullups that trashed my tendons. I think it was the 10 years of increasingly heavy, weighted pull-ups and chins, along with many, many dynamic 'pops' from chins to dips and back again, that trashed my tendons. 60% correlation is pretty damn strong, but that doesn't mean that everyone who does pull ups is going to get tendinitis, and it doesn't mean that everyone's tenidinitis is going to stem from pull-ups. It just means that there is a lot of overlap between the two groups, and I'm one of the people in the overlap.

starkcontrast

Jan 20, 2006, 10:14 PM
Post #39 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

dude you are so wrong. i can't remember the video she was in but ana burgos does one on camera. i think it was try hard or something. anyway it is possible. woman can do anything they put their mind to except paybe spell out their name in the snow with their pee.

dudemanbu

Jan 26, 2006, 6:01 PM
Post #40 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have both seen a girl do a one arm pullup and another girl spell her name out in the snow while peeing (long name too, jessica).

The girl that did the pullup was at the gym, 13 years old, cranking 5.13's. Granted, it was the gym, but a onearm is a onearm.

In reply to:
In reply to:

dude you are so wrong. i can't remember the video she was in but ana burgos does one on camera. i think it was try hard or something. anyway it is possible. woman can do anything they put their mind to except paybe spell out their name in the snow with their pee.

Partner booger

Jan 31, 2006, 11:58 AM
Post #41 of 41 (6541 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
except paybe spell out their name in the snow with their pee.

Hmm... I know some chicks who might even change your mind on that one! :wink: :lol:

For you guys who seem to think women are incapable of doing one-armed pull-ups, or anything else for that matter... please present me with your nether-regions so that I may show you, on behalf of female climbers everywhere, just how strong a woman's arm strength and grip can be. :evil: :twisted:

Oh... and yes, I have done one-armed pull-ups, but that was 10 years ago when I was 21 years old, rowing varsity crew. I also used to bench 160 at my max-out, and I'm only 5'2".

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook