Forums: Climbing Information: Regional Discussions:
Riverside Rock Quarry on weekdays anyone?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Regional Discussions

Premier Sponsor:

ucrclimber

Jan 26, 2006, 8:43 AM
Post #1 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Riverside Rock Quarry on weekdays anyone?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

anyone from the riverside/inland empire have free time during the week to head over to riverside rock quarry? i'm at UCR, and i can climb mondays, wednesdays, and fridays any time after 11am! also saturdays and sundays, all day. sun's down at about 5:30pm right now, so any time in there is good for me!

just so its out there, i'm currently leading at about a 10c/10d level, and i'm just starting to follow on 11.a's. trying to push myself and hit the 12's by summer, so i'd like to get out there at least once or twice a week and climb hard. if your interested, PM me or send me an email at swang011@ucr.edu. btw i have a 70m rope and a dozen draws, if you're wondering what gear i have.

hope to hear from you guys/gals. thanks!

jt512

Jan 26, 2006, 11:35 PM
Post #2 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Re: Riverside Rock Quarry on weekdays anyone? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
anyone from the riverside/inland empire have free time during the week to head over to riverside rock quarry? i'm at UCR, and i can climb mondays, wednesdays, and fridays any time after 11am! also saturdays and sundays, all day. sun's down at about 5:30pm right now, so any time in there is good for me!

just so its out there, i'm currently leading at about a 10c/10d level, and i'm just starting to follow on 11.a's. trying to push myself and hit the 12's by summer, so i'd like to get out there at least once or twice a week and climb hard. if your interested, PM me or send me an email at swang011@ucr.edu. btw i have a 70m rope and a dozen draws, if you're wondering what gear i have.

hope to hear from you guys/gals. thanks!

The thing with the Quarry is that, unless you catch a cloudy day, you're basically done there by about 1pm. Also, you've got the right rope for the place, but you need another dozen draws.

Jay

jermeng

Jan 26, 2006, 11:45 PM
Post #3 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jt512"]
In reply to:
you've got the right rope for the place, but you need another dozen draws.

Hey, I've got another dozen draws, and I should have a good amount of my mon/wednesdays free after 11. I have yet to determine what I sport lead out here; back east, I've maxed out on 10d, and will attempt some 11's depending on the bolt placements. by the way, I'm in Rancho Cucamonga.

Jeremy

jt512

Jan 27, 2006, 12:00 AM
Post #4 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jermeng"]
In reply to:
In reply to:
you've got the right rope for the place, but you need another dozen draws.

Hey, I've got another dozen draws, and I should have a good amount of my mon/wednesdays free after 11. I have yet to determine what I sport lead out here; back east, I've maxed out on 10d, and will attempt some 11's depending on the bolt placements. by the way, I'm in Rancho Cucamonga.

Jeremy

I'll PM you.

Jay

ucrclimber

Jan 27, 2006, 4:50 AM
Post #5 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Jay, actually with the winter weather, the Quarry is very climbable all the way till about 5:00pm. I just got back from a great day working on Trundle Trophy 10d, nice warm afternoon and the whole place to ourselves. I know a dozen draws isn't enough, but neither is a climber without a belayer right? I suppose I shouldve restated it as "i have a dozen draws to contribute" :) Jeremy, it looks like we're climbing at about the same level, I'd love to meet ya out there midweek sometime! PM me if you're interested.

Steven

jt512

Jan 27, 2006, 5:21 PM
Post #6 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I know a dozen draws isn't enough, but neither is a climber without a belayer right?...

Two climbers with only enough draws between them for 1.5 routes isn't enough either. It is unlikely, in general, that you and your partner will be working the same project, so each climber needs enough draws for his own project. Seriously, you need to invest in more draws for the quarry.

Jay

ucrclimber

Jan 27, 2006, 7:26 PM
Post #7 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So when you climb, you have all the draws (yours and your partner's) on two different routes at the same time? I've been climbing with people around my same climbing ability, so we tend to tackle routes together, and 24 draws are more than plenty for any route I'm working on right now. So dishing out another $150 on a second set of draws... not practical for me just yet.

jt512

Jan 27, 2006, 7:36 PM
Post #8 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So when you climb, you have all the draws (yours and your partner's) on two different routes at the same time?

As a rule, yes. You'll find that as you progress in sport climbing, that it will be more the exception than the rule that you and your partner will be working the same project.

For instance, if your project were Trundle Trophy, that's a good first warm-up for me. So, if you and I climbed out there together, after you warmed up, I would likely hang your draws on Trundle Trophy and my draws on whatever I was working.

Jay

ucrclimber

Feb 3, 2006, 7:23 PM
Post #9 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi everyone, just lettin ya know, if your in the Riverside area and you want to do some climbing, there's a group of us that'll be heading out there on Sunday from about noon till dark. If you're interested in meeting with us, PM me or send me an email at swang011@ucr.edu. We have a couple ropes, and about 2 dozen draws, but if you got stuff, bring it on! Seeya there.

Steven

jt512

Feb 3, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #10 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hi everyone, just lettin ya know, if your in the Riverside area and you want to do some climbing, there's a group of us that'll be heading out there on Sunday from about noon till dark.

Have you seen the weather forecast? You guys are going to cook. This is definitely a New Jack weekend.

Jay

cortezmachine

Feb 3, 2006, 8:23 PM
Post #11 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

soon as it starts getting dark later ill be down for any day during the week after work (3:30) i live right around the corner from the quarry so i could be there like at 4. evening sessions at the quarry and roubidoux r0xmydome

oldskool

Feb 3, 2006, 9:36 PM
Post #12 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey all, I am down for early (6am starts) to 11am/noon-ish quarry missions, if anywon is down (like that spel job?) contact me at Arcadia Rock Climbing, ask for Joe, (626) 294-9111, that is, anybody contact me EXCEPT Kortezmachine, that guy chuffs ; ) and by the way, the quarry must be cooking right now, eh? but early trips might be ok...i have approx 35 quickdraws and two 60m ropes, along with a bike helmet for the 5 ton blocks that might come our way. hey tazmanian, come say hi in Arcadia some time, you old poop

ucrclimber

Feb 3, 2006, 10:00 PM
Post #13 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Have you seen the weather forecast? You guys are going to cook. This is definitely a New Jack weekend.

Jay

Weather.com for Riverside, CA: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 40s.

Doesn't sound like cooking weather to me. Unfortunately for me, local responsibilities dont allow for me to take off for the weekend as you might, so the 15 min drive over to the Quarry will suffice.

Being relatively new to the site, I wonder if you (Jay) are always this condescending and haughty towards other RC'ers when you post? I'm just here looking for climbing partners, but you seem to have taken it upon yourself to make a real task of pointing out ever possible flaw or lack of "climber wisdom" you see... are you really sharing concern for my inadequate number of quickdraws and the possibility of getting skin cancer while climbing at the Quarry in 75 degree weather, or do you just get a kick out of romping around this site and talking down to every person you seem to think is lesser than you?

Not trying to start a flamewar or anything (really, I'm not), but seeing that you are a full grown man (and a little more), I would've assumed you hung up that sarcastic "pick-a-fight" attitude of yours long ago, and maybe spend more time doing some good around here.

Just my two pennies.

Steven

jt512

Feb 3, 2006, 10:15 PM
Post #14 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Jay

Weather.com for Riverside, CA: Partly cloudy. Highs in the mid 70s and lows in the mid 40s.

Doesn't sound like cooking weather to me. Unfortunately for me, local responsibilities dont allow for me to take off for the weekend as you might, so the 15 min drive over to the Quarry will suffice.

Being relatively new to the site, I wonder if you (Jay) are always this condescending and haughty towards other RC'ers when you post? I'm just here looking for climbing partners, but you seem to have taken it upon yourself to make a real task of pointing out ever possible flaw or lack of "climber wisdom" you see... are you really sharing concern for my inadequate number of quickdraws and the possibility of getting skin cancer while climbing at the Quarry in 75 degree weather, or do you just get a kick out of romping around this site and talking down to every person you seem to think is lesser than you?

Well, if you think that my suggesting that you get more than 12 draws to climb at a crag where most of the routes have more than 12 bolts, or to avoid a crag that will be in the sun all afternoon, and hence more like 95 degrees when the ambient air temp is 75, is being condescending and haughty, then so be it. I won't bother you anymore.

Jay

oldskool

Feb 3, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #15 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

well, be all this as it may, im still down to climb

jt512

Feb 3, 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #16 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
hey tazmanian, come say hi in Arcadia some time, you old poop

I stopped by there the morning the gym was supposed to open, but it wasn't open yet. Looked pretty good though.

BTW, your gf, Enigma, was looking for you at H18 Wednesday night.

Jay

butofcourse

Feb 3, 2006, 10:52 PM
Post #17 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Don' t get offended: I think that jt512 is only trying to set the record of most nb posts on RC.com.

Falls are generally clean at the Quarry. Don't be sissies: skip bolts.

:wink:

-Stein

ucrclimber

Feb 4, 2006, 1:50 AM
Post #18 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Well, if you think that my suggesting that you get more than 12 draws to climb at a crag where most of the routes have more than 12 bolts, or to avoid a crag that will be in the sun all afternoon, and hence more like 95 degrees when the ambient air temp is 75, is being condescending and haughty, then so be it. I won't bother you anymore.

Jay

I've never been against anyone giving advice to help others. It's just the tone of how you give your advice that prompted me to ask these questions. It's one thing to give pointers to newbs to better their climbing and prevent them from making mistakes, but its another thing to come in and speak in a way that makes them feel stupid for wanting to share draws or for simply inviting others to join me for a afternoon session. Sure, you might've been in this sport much longer than others, but be modest about it; there's no need to patrionize and discourage newcomers to both the sport and this site.

Again, its just your tone that got to me, not your advice. It might just be this culture that seems to be so popular: attack those newbs with rolling eyes and troll accusations, and maybe they'll either wise up and know everything all of the sudden, or they'll just go away and leave us alone. If your intentions are well-meant, then I apologize for the accusations; it's simply been a issue of miscommunication. I'm sure your not really an a$$hole, but would it offend you so much if one pointed out that you may be unknowingly portraying yourself as such through the way you talk and respond?

Steven

c22

Feb 4, 2006, 2:19 AM
Post #19 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

on a slightly different note does anyone know how many bolts there are on king pin?

socalbolter

Feb 4, 2006, 6:17 AM
Post #20 of 20 (2784 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

King Pin has 11 bolts.

Forums : Climbing Information : Regional Discussions

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook