Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Partner coldclimb

Feb 1, 2006, 3:29 AM
Post #26 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Re: Hot H2O or bleach [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Uh, Jay - I wash my slacklines occasionally too - they get filthy with our semi-muddy ground and it gets ground in really well. I've even had too much fine dust build up on a line turn it practically into a slip-n-slide (damn fun by the way - I could actually slide down the line several feet).

This is intriguing. I wonder if one could make a permanently slippery line. The new trick possibilities could prove quite sweet.

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 1, 2006, 3:39 AM
Post #27 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've only had that happen on one line for a few weeks. It was a very fine, hot and dry dust. Taking a forward leap from the anchors with dusty feet + dusty line made me slide down the line, most distance I ever got was 4 maybe 5 feet though.

Coolest thing I did was slide down it, fall backwards on my back but stay on the line landing it smoothly. My friend said it was one of the coolest things he'd ever seen me do on a line. Cool stuff, but as soon as the line got damp it went away.

I wonder how repeatable this would be? Even in lots of dusty conditions I've only had it happen to 1 line. Perhaps just dusty + socks would do the trick.

Partner coldclimb

Feb 1, 2006, 3:42 AM
Post #28 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm imagining something more slippery. Rig the line angling down a hill and stay up for the whole slide...

Or maybe some more stylish walking...

lewisiarediviva

Feb 1, 2006, 3:52 AM
Post #29 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you slacklinejoe.

My hubby came home and suggested I just put it in a bucket of water for a few days and then hang it to dry. Suggesting that putting it under tension will take care of any abnormalities that it acquires while hanging from the road bikes over his fancy car.

I am worried about the nutritional value though.

So tomorrow morning I will remove it from it's comfy position under the trees- and then we'll see what I do. (I am really curious about the bleach- but since I don't have the high paying stressful job in this house hold I may not try it. :cry: )

Of course, while I spent so long posting the above thoughts, tucking in kids, and researching gear and conditioning issues for Rainier, slacklinejoe and coldclimb continued chat about sliding. . . here in central Idaho we have this terrible dust. When we're in "the south hills" we worry about thunderstorms because they turn the roads into slick-n-slides. I bet I could make a slack-n-slide right here.

markc

Feb 1, 2006, 1:57 PM
Post #30 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The main issue with the biner is that it has also been sitting under snow- hasn't seen any tension since early November. . . and it wasn't opened after the tension was released. Sad to say but I believe it is now somewhat worthless. :tinfoilhat:

Would WD40 help open it with ease? Reducing stress on an already stressed carabiner?

If a locker is screwed too tight while under tension and won't release, put tension on it again to see if that allows you to unlock it. It's a good thing to know in case you're somewhere without access to tools. Otherwise, a pair of pliers is a good choice.

eric_t83

Feb 1, 2006, 4:50 PM
Post #31 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm imagining something more slippery. Rig the line angling down a hill and stay up for the whole slide...

Or maybe some more stylish walking...

This is an excellent idea! Sliding on the line, that sure opens up a lot of possibilities. How about starting a new thread on this and see what we can come up with? :)

iltripp

Feb 1, 2006, 5:23 PM
Post #32 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just may decide to do a scientific experiment with it- the kids will love that. If I decide to bleach it I suppose y'all will want monthly updates on it's condition.

It wouldn't be much of an experiment considering that the degradation of nylon fibers by chlorine bleach is a well known occurence.

You've already said that your line is old and well-weathered, which means it's strength is already considerably less than that of new webbing. Add in some extra deterioration by washing it in bleach and I wouldn't be surprised if the line ends up breaking.

If you're ok with the possibility of the line breaking under you or your kids, then go for it. However, having broken a couple lines (and received huge welts from it), I'd suggest washing your line in warm water and a mild detergent, then hanging it out to dry somewhere out of the sun.

lewisiarediviva

Feb 1, 2006, 11:19 PM
Post #33 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

iltripp,

Thanks for the advice. Sometimes around this house we like to do scientific experiments because we want to see what all the experts are talking about.

On the subject of welts though- my youngest received huge welts last year from some fancy move she attempted- I saw the whole thing but really couldn't tell you how it happened. I do know the line hadn't broken.

veganboyjosh

Feb 2, 2006, 12:01 AM
Post #34 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
iltripp,

Thanks for the advice. Sometimes around this house we like to do scientific experiments because we want to see what all the experts are talking about.

On the subject of welts though- my youngest received huge welts last year from some fancy move she attempted- I saw the whole thing but really couldn't tell you how it happened. I do know the line hadn't broken.

slightly off topic...i was on a line in the gym the other day, and this kid--prolly around 5 or 6 yrs old--was playing tag with his dad. yes, his dad was encouraging him. prior to this, the kid and his dad had been on the slackline, so i know he knew what it was.
anyway, there i am, walking on it, and he runs up to the other end of it, away from his dad, who was 'it', and grabs onto the line. of course, this makes me lose it and i come off, and as i react to coming off, in order to minimize my falling damage, the line popped this kid in the mouth. right on the lip. i felt bad, but the dad said it wasn't my fault, and i think the kid learned his lesson. i still felt bad...

lewisiarediviva

Feb 2, 2006, 3:21 AM
Post #35 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

veganboyjosh, you have just experienced the education of a child who learned by a real consequence. Don't feel bad. It would have happened without you. (I take it you're okay?)

Oh maaian! It's dark and I forgot to deal with the line. . . tomorrow.

iltripp

Feb 2, 2006, 8:02 PM
Post #36 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
iltripp,

That's a great thing to do for your kids, and I definitely applaud your efforts. However, I doubt there would be much observable evidence in the case of the slackline, except when it finally breaks.

In reply to:

The slackline can be a cruel mistress. I've had my a girth hitch wear through my line and snap while I was jumping. My foot had the nastiest purple mark I had ever seen. The mark was so unusual that I thought I might have done some serious damage. Luckily it faded away within a day.

lewisiarediviva

Feb 2, 2006, 11:01 PM
Post #37 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Well, I guess so far I have fallowed everyone's advice. After a fairly easy release of the locking carabiner I threw the wad of slackline into the utility sink and rinsed it off (wearing gloves), then put it in a mesh bag on gentle handwash (my great grandmother would have loved my machine). I used "Tech Wash" detergent. It is now hanging in the garage from the Thule playpen, excellent drying rack.

Now I'm running a bleach load to disinfect the machine and my mesh bag.

I'm sure this is the end my story. Happy Slacklining!

(Oh, in the process I found 5 other carabiners... :? , next year the slack line will be put away properly.)

veganboyjosh

Feb 3, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #38 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Well, I guess so far I have fallowed everyone's advice. After a fairly easy release of the locking carabiner I threw the wad of slackline into the utility sink and rinsed it off (wearing gloves), then put it in a mesh bag on gentle handwash (my great grandmother would have loved my machine). I used "Tech Wash" detergent. It is now hanging in the garage from the Thule playpen, excellent drying rack.

Now I'm running a bleach load to disinfect the machine and my mesh bag.

I'm sure this is the end my story. Happy Slacklining!

(Oh, in the process I found 5 other carabiners... :? , next year the slack line will be put away properly.)

hanging to dry might not be the best bet.

i'd rather lay it out on some towels...the hanging wet webbing might stretch out wet, and dry stretched out...

but whaddooiknow?

lewisiarediviva

Feb 3, 2006, 3:53 AM
Post #39 of 39 (4927 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

You and slacklinejoe, veganboyjosh.

So I am curious, being a person who has woven and sewn plenty- besides all the laundry experience I have, I am wondering about the quality of weave of my slackline. If it appears to be as good as it looks and feels then shouldn't it be able to reshape itself?

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Slacklining

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook