RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

punk_rocker333

Feb 5, 2006, 2:54 AM
Post #1 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Ace wiregate biners
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Has anyone ever used these things? How's the weight, gate action, size, etc? I found a good deal on these things at

http://www.pagangear.com/...=VIEWPROD&ProdID=540

I really have no interest in the dog bones, just the biners. Should I spend the extra dollar per biner and get some Trango classic wires? Any info is appreciated.

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 5, 2006, 4:06 AM
Post #2 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Re: Ace wiregate biners [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I used to have a bunch of them. Used them for misc stuff + some quickdraws.

What can I say other than they work. Their spring is stiff at first, then soft. Their action is ok, but nothing to write home about and weight is ok; not ultralights but not old clunkers either.

If you can afford better then get better - biners are usually with you for a long time.

anykineclimb

Feb 5, 2006, 5:20 AM
Post #3 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

At that price, you could always just try one or two.

If you don't like them, use it as a key chain or shoe biner

ok_climber123

Feb 5, 2006, 6:21 PM
Post #4 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i think omega pacific has a similar price on some quickdraws.......dirt bag quick draws i think.......dont qoute me on that

Partner slacklinejoe

Feb 5, 2006, 6:30 PM
Post #5 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Dirt Bag draws are almost always higher than the ace ones, they are also heavier and their action is mediocre to clunky. Having had both, I'd take the ace over OP dirt bags.

Having went the way of Heliums, OP JC's and Nano Wires - a few every now and then when I could swing it - I have no intentions of going back. Carabiners aren't exactly disposable, but have terrible resale value. I wasted a lot of money buying cheap gear, then later buying better gear than I would have saved.

If you've gotta save every penny see if you can get a deal on Faders carabiners. They are often out there for similar prices to the ACE stuff but I liked the action, weight and handling better all the way around. Either way, eventually you'll probably end up buying better stuff anyway.

ridgeclimber

Feb 5, 2006, 7:47 PM
Post #6 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have several Ace wiregates. They work fine, stand up to abuse. I wouldn't recommend them over any other biner, because I haven't found a big difference. I like 'em.

summer_teeth

Feb 6, 2006, 6:42 PM
Post #7 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have had some of the Ace Wiregates and I will say they weigh close to the same as the Hotwires. The gates are a bit on the stiff side to begin with but they do relax with use. The bent gates are easy to clip when used at the bottom of a quickdraw once those gates loosen up a little. Hope that helps.

Partner gandolf

Feb 6, 2006, 7:30 PM
Post #8 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I bought a set of 10 Ace draws and wire 'biners and like them. Like other people have said the gates are a bit stiff, but that hasn't been a problem. I would suggest getting some. I'll probably buy some more in the near future.

fortfun

Feb 6, 2006, 7:42 PM
Post #9 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just got five of these draws last week to take apart for the biners. (cheaper than getting them separate) They seem stiff right now. I just got them for extras on my trad rack. They work and I am happy with them for the money. I think that the only real place that a biner may matter is on the rope end of the draw and weight if you have a big rack :oops: :lol:

Probably would not make them the only biner on the rack, but they fit the bill for spares/rigging anchors that won't break the bank if you leave one to bail on.

hammerhead

Feb 8, 2006, 1:30 PM
Post #10 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fortfun, et. al.,

How long did it take for the qd's to arrive? I ordered 30 last Wednesday, the 1st, and got the shipping notice the following Monday, the 6th. They are scheduled to arrive on the 13th. Is Pagangear always that slow???

Al

timm

Feb 8, 2006, 2:33 PM
Post #11 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Fortfun, et. al.,

How long did it take for the qd's to arrive? I ordered 30 last Wednesday, the 1st, and got the shipping notice the following Monday, the 6th. They are scheduled to arrive on the 13th. Is Pagangear always that slow???

Al

I've order twice from pagan. A few months ago I ordered some cams and 3 weeks went by with no cams and no word about order status. It took me two emails and two phone calls to cancel the order. It turned out that they were on back order but no one bothered to inform me of the fact. Sadly they never answered my emails requesting info on my order. Pretty sad for an "online" company.

Recently, I tried them again and ordered two pairs of shoes. They arrived PDQ but no email beforehand giving UPS tracking number and the online order status was never updated telling me that they had been shipped.

I've heard other mixed reviews of them. But, the one common thing I've heard is that they are very difficult to get in touch with if you have questions regarding your order, etc.

Just my $0.02.

Good luck,

Tim

fortfun

Feb 8, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #12 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A few hours after my order, they called to let me know that part of my order (curve nuts) were on backorder. I called them back later and then they called me to let me decide to ship part of my order now and the rest later. They sent me the draws and a few cams two days later and I had them 3 days after that. All totaled, about 8 days order to door.

I still don't have the backordered items, it has been two weeks since my order. ---they said they would call when they came it.

they seem to be a bit slow on getting stuff out the door, then it is UPS that is slow.

aaronbr86

Feb 8, 2006, 4:51 PM
Post #13 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

One of my roommates ordered some shoes and stuff on the site. He called them last week (ordered on Sunday1/26)....I think he called around Wednesday or Thursday and emailed them as well as he hadnt received a tracking number. They left him a voice mail last night (4 or 5 days later) telling him his shoes were on backorder. Thats shitty customer service there. I'd rather pay a couple bucks more for some stuff, get free shipping with no problems from gearexpress. My orders from there always arrive on time, most of them early.
-Aaron

timm

Feb 8, 2006, 4:58 PM
Post #14 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Aaron, that's exactly what I've heard from others. Unless I absolutely need to save a few $ by ordering from pagan, I'd much rather order from gearxpress or mgear. Both have outstanding customer service.

aaronbr86

Feb 8, 2006, 5:11 PM
Post #15 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I also think that the quality of service has gone down in the past years. I ordered a pair of shoes from climbingshoes.com (same as pagan gear) and they arrived on time with no problems. It was supossed to be the last years model but they upgraded me to the new model since it was out of stock. It seems that things have changed since then.
-Aaron

punk_rocker333

Feb 8, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #16 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The first experience I had with Pagan gear (a biner and atc) was fine with fast shipping. But during x-mas i bought 4 cams and 3 tricams. I recieved one confirmation e-mail. About 5 days later I noticed that they hadn't been shipped yet so I called and asked them. They said they were pounded from x-mas so I was sympathetic. They finally shipped the item two phone calls later, with one of the cams on back order. I recieved my stuff about 3 weeks after ordering them. I haven't heard anything from them about the back ordered cam, but they don't charge until they ship so no big deal. I'll just have to give them another phone call, sigh. Too bad their prices are so damn good.

But anyway, have you guys used these biners? :roll:

Edit: My #3 rigid friend finally arrived. That's about 2 months of waiting on back order with no communication.

Partner gandolf

Feb 8, 2006, 6:04 PM
Post #17 of 17 (2281 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yes, Pagangear was slow to ship the product I ordered, but not so slow that I wouldn't order from them again (a couple of weeks to receive the stuff I ordered, and I had it shipped UPS ground).

Punk_rocker333 - Yes, I have been using the ACE 'biners that came with the quick draw set (straight gates and dog legs) for a couple of months and I like them.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook