Feb 8, 2006, 8:38 PM
Post #1 of 4 (95 views)
Shortcut

Political Pressure at NASA
Report this Post
Can't Post

http://www.nytimes.com/...politics/08nasa.html

In reply to:
George C. Deutsch, the young presidential appointee at NASA who told public affairs workers to limit reporters' access to a top climate scientist and told a Web designer to add the word "theory" at every mention of the Big Bang, resigned yesterday, agency officials said.

Mr. Deutsch's resignation came on the same day that officials at Texas A&M University confirmed that he did not graduate from there, as his résumé on file at the agency asserted.

In reply to:
A copy of Mr. Deutsch's résumé was provided to The Times by someone working in NASA headquarters who, along with many other NASA employees, said Mr. Deutsch played a small but significant role in an intensifying effort at the agency to exert political control over the flow of information to the public.

Such complaints came to the fore starting in late January, when James E. Hansen, the climate scientist, and several midlevel public affairs officers told The Times that political appointees, including Mr. Deutsch, were pressing to limit Dr. Hansen's speaking and interviews on the threats posed by global warming.

Yesterday, Dr. Hansen said that the questions about Mr. Deutsch's credentials were important, but were a distraction from the broader issue of political control of scientific information.

"He's only a bit player," Dr. Hansen said of Mr. Deutsch. " The problem is much broader and much deeper and it goes across agencies. That's what I'm really concerned about."

"On climate, the public has been misinformed and not informed," he said. "The foundation of a democracy is an informed public, which obviously means an honestly informed public. That's the big issue here."

jeremy9876543

Feb 8, 2006, 9:28 PM
Post #2 of 4 (95 views)
Shortcut

Re: Political Pressure at NASA [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I heard an interview with Hansen on NPR. Bush is the ostrich president.

yanqui

Feb 10, 2006, 3:40 PM
Post #3 of 4 (95 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bush, the 'freedom and democracy' president, plants an unqualified 24 year old in NASA, so that the kid can spin and smokescreen the scientific output of the agency, and you have a problem with that, g?

Pretty funny the kid didn't even have a college degree, huh? It's incompetent glitches like that, which, in my opinion, blow away most of the conspiracy theories about the Bush administration. Those guys seem to muck up just about everything they do. Even their attempts to do wrong, go wrong. Well at least this gives a classic example where two wrongs make a right.

dingus

Feb 10, 2006, 3:59 PM
Post #4 of 4 (95 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What amuses me is people who feign surprise that NASA is politicized. It has ALWAYS been so, since its inception. Look at how they paraded the original astronauts around and contrast that to today... this sort of censorship is MILD by comparison.

Always always always. That's part of the reason for the disasters in fact.

DMT

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook