Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Climbing Photography:
Taking DSLR's to the world's most unfriendly places....?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

ryan112ryan

Feb 8, 2006, 12:23 AM
Post #1 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Taking DSLR's to the world's most unfriendly places....?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So in a month or so I'm off to Durango Colorado for some mountaineering, its going to be cold, windy, lots of snow and wet at times. I have a D70s with a sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 that i want to take with me. the pic below is the camera with one of my bigger lenses so you can get an idea of size:
http://www.photogpoint.com/...0ssite/images/70.jpg

how can i protect my camera? i want a case that protects from the above, is pretty crush proof to protect my camera ($1500 w/ cards and batteries), isn't too heavy because i need to haul this for days up and down a few 14,000 footers.

my first idea was a pelican case, but they are heavy. i would like something like that level of protection. i have also loved my Lowe pro cases but they are soft cases and i don't think will cut it when i toss it in my pack with ice screws, Axe, crampons, snow and wetness. :shock: lil help, suggestions, ideas, anything?

leapinlizard

Feb 8, 2006, 12:57 AM
Post #2 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Re: Taking DSLR's to the world's most unfriendly places....? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I know you said you already have Lowe Pro cases, but have you looked at the nova line, While they aren't totally crush resistan they are pretty sturdy, and a lot of the line offers built in rain flys. I recently took my rebel xt up to 18,500ft through rain and snow, carrying it over 70 miles and it came back in pretty good condition (except for some rust at the lense mount from a snowstorm when I was taking some photos). While the Lowe cases aren't submersible, you could easily grab a drybag that it would fit easily into and not weight to much, but for storm use the rainflys work well. Good luck and have fun!

pico23

Feb 10, 2006, 5:30 AM
Post #3 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
So in a month or so I'm off to Durango Colorado for some mountaineering, its going to be cold, windy, lots of snow and wet at times. I have a D70s with a sigma 18-50mm F/2.8 that i want to take with me. the pic below is the camera with one of my bigger lenses so you can get an idea of size:
http://www.photogpoint.com/...0ssite/images/70.jpg

how can i protect my camera? i want a case that protects from the above, is pretty crush proof to protect my camera ($1500 w/ cards and batteries), isn't too heavy because i need to haul this for days up and down a few 14,000 footers.

my first idea was a pelican case, but they are heavy. i would like something like that level of protection. i have also loved my Lowe pro cases but they are soft cases and i don't think will cut it when i toss it in my pack with ice screws, Axe, crampons, snow and wetness. :shock: lil help, suggestions, ideas, anything?

Ahh the dilema of digital. you clearly invested a lot in the D70. Problem is you need to whittle your kit down to 2 lenses. a 24mm (35mm equiv) and a telephoto. this will fit into option #2.

then you need to decide 1) do i want to carry a camera that i can't access? 2) do i want carry a camera i can access and will use 3) is photography the focus of this trip and should i even carry such a big camera? 4) you've proven my point that sometimes a 20 year old $100 film camera that yields 20MP drum scans (with 100Mb tiff files) is sometimes the best option. i've always been saying $1500 upfront is a big investment for the camera and film. if the camera dies, you need to shell out another $1500 to get back into photography.

Based on your decision to the above 3 questions you will have to make a compromise. If you choose#1 you put the camera in a pelican case, drop it in the pack and take it out at camp each afternoon for a few shots. #2 you go with a LowePro TLZ 70AW. that puts your entire camera system on your chest and allows easy access for spur of the moment shooting, lens changes, ect. It's weather proof and even has a rain cover. You can add on slip lock lens case attachments if you can't fit all your lenses in the TLZ. #3 is just take a smaller point and shoot that cost less and offers a lot of control. there are many good P&S's that offer a lot of control and image quality.

And of course #4 call up your dad and say, hey, can i borrow your antiquated film camera so I won't be affraid to get it wet, drop it, let it get cold, etc. my batteries won't die and i'll be able to photograph rather than worrying about my investment. throw some provia 100F into it and you're good to go.

P.S. Cameras do OK in cold and wind. Colorado isn't that cold. Snow usually isn't a factor, now if it starts raining the camera might be in trouble.

leapinlizard

Feb 10, 2006, 9:28 AM
Post #4 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

P.S. Remember microdrives don't work above 10,000 ft, cheers

baigot

Feb 10, 2006, 2:08 PM
Post #5 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
P.S. Remember microdrives don't work above 10,000 ft, cheers

how is that??? i need to know ´cause i´m going in a couple of months to a 6000mts mountain carring my digitall.

Is due to cold? or altitude?

i´ll tanx answers...

Vicente
Argentina

Partner tgreene

Feb 10, 2006, 2:32 PM
Post #6 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

A couple of these questions would best be asked on the Nikonians board... http://www.nikonians.org/...ID201&conf=DCConfID3

I too have a D50 w/ a couple lenses, and before heading out west in June, I will make damn sure it's neatly tucked away into a Pelican 1400 case.

altelis

Feb 10, 2006, 4:02 PM
Post #7 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

it is my understanding that microdrives do not work at altitude because there is a very thin layer of air between the disc and the casing and something about this needing to be constant and at altitude the size of the layer is changed enough that the drive no longer functions....

i think this is the gist of it, but can't be sure (sorry, joke, kinda)

angusmacginny

Feb 10, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #8 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok I am going to add a couple of questions to this thread.

I would like to get a DSLR, that might work on alaska expeditions. Is this pretty much not going to happen? As I see it the main problem is battery life.
Alaska is very cold and basically very dry. I need a cammera that might last a couple of weeks mabey more with out having to buy 15 batteries. I dont mind bringing a few extra lithium batteries, but more than about 5 gets old. And if they are $50 rechargable ones then forget it.

Anyone got any input?

altelis

Feb 10, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #9 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

alaska, dry?
depends when you go. i was there for 43 days last summer and we got rain for 40 (NO JOKE) of those days

but in terms of batteries, i have a d70.
i lead wilderness type trips for highschool kids and am in charge of photography and get a lot of shots for the brochure for the owners so i take my d70 with me (a pelican case on water sections and a dry bag in the brain of my pack for the rain). i took a LOT of pictures and bringing two batteries with me (one in the camera and one spare) lasted me fine for a 19 day backcountry section. just don't use your lcd screen. i had a 1 gig card and a spare 512 mb card so i could just shoot and shoot and shoot and bracket and shoot somemore and not worry about space on the card nor having to keep checking the lcd to make sure the metering was right.

angusmacginny

Feb 10, 2006, 5:43 PM
Post #10 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
alaska, dry?
depends when you go.

True it does depend on where you go but if it is very cold then it is by definition dry. I was mostly thinking of the Alaska Range.

pico23

Feb 11, 2006, 1:56 AM
Post #11 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I would like to get a DSLR, that might work on alaska expeditions. Is this pretty much not going to happen? As I see it the main problem is battery life.
Alaska is very cold and basically very dry. I need a cammera that might last a couple of weeks mabey more with out having to buy 15 batteries. I dont mind bringing a few extra lithium batteries, but more than about 5 gets old. And if they are $50 rechargable ones then forget it.

Anyone got any input?

Too add to an above answer, it's correct that Micro drives don't work at altitude. I thought it was closer to 20K but be safe and say 10K.

They are little hard drives and they have moving parts so they are disrupted by the air pressure.

In terms of battery power. I'm not sure why people oppose it but try a external battery pack. Canon makes and OEM for the rebel XT, nikon probably makes one for the D70 and if not Hoodman makes them for most major cameras.

It's best if these take AA batteries. Put the lithiums in and assuming you are using AA for your headlamp and GPS and whatever you are set.

In my film camera the lithium AA's last months compared to the CR2's and they are cheap and light.

pico23

Feb 11, 2006, 1:59 AM
Post #12 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
alaska, dry?
depends when you go. i was there for 43 days last summer and we got rain for 40 (NO JOKE) of those days

but in terms of batteries, i have a d70.
i lead wilderness type trips for highschool kids and am in charge of photography and get a lot of shots for the brochure for the owners so i take my d70 with me (a pelican case on water sections and a dry bag in the brain of my pack for the rain). i took a LOT of pictures and bringing two batteries with me (one in the camera and one spare) lasted me fine for a 19 day backcountry section. just don't use your lcd screen. i had a 1 gig card and a spare 512 mb card so i could just shoot and shoot and shoot and bracket and shoot somemore and not worry about space on the card nor having to keep checking the lcd to make sure the metering was right.

One thing to add about the LowePro system I use that I mentioned above. If it's pouring rain I'll generally pull my camera off my chest and put it in my pack in a OR hyrdoseal dry bag. It's completely water tight and doesn't take up much space. The only problem is I need to have about 500ci of pack volume available for this contigency.

ryan112ryan

Feb 12, 2006, 10:21 PM
Post #13 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Ahh the dilema of digital. you clearly invested a lot in the D70. Problem is you need to whittle your kit down to 2 lenses. a 24mm (35mm equiv) and a telephoto. this will fit into option #2.

ill be only taking one lense if i take my D70s, a sigma 18-50mm f/2.8

if i don't take my d70s ill take my point and shoot nikon coolpix 3700 i do have a nikon coolpix 5000 that has manual functions but you need to set them through menues, so i think that one is out because of gloves.

this isn't going to be a photo shooting trip, itll just be somthing i almost never get to do, so i wanted to take some good photos,

I hate traveling with people who aren't photographers, i don't have time to really focus on taking photos and i think this trip will be filled with some good shots.

that LowePro TLZ 70AW is $$$

Partner tgreene

Feb 13, 2006, 12:18 AM
Post #14 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If that's true about microdrives, then I'm really glad that I have a D50, because it uses SD cards, which are just like Memory Sticks but 1/2 the size. 8^)

pico23

Feb 13, 2006, 2:07 AM
Post #15 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

that LowePro TLZ 70AW is $$$

hey, you spent $1500 on an DSLR, whats another $100 for something bomber to protect it and facilitate you carrying the camera accesibly so you can get more shots? It's kinda like filters are expensive but they affect that $1000 lens quality so why go cheap.

The 70AW is amazing. With the chest harness it's the greatest thing as I can fit my entire lightweight system into it (flash, camera/lens and extra lens +cable release, filters, and film. only issue i have is that I cannot see my feet, get in close to the rock/ice, or mantle while technical climbing. So if tech climbing is the order (vs. snow climbing and general mountaineering) I opt for a smaller TLZ that just holds a smaller SLR and a small fixed lens (or small zoom). you can wear that over the shoulder like a rack and bungee it. a tip I got on here . I usually opt for a fast 24 or 35mm lens length when only going with one lens. You can buy an optional waist belt for a most of the TLZ's as well or just use your own. the TLZ setup (photoflex) worked well enough for Galen Rowell at 24,000 on Everest as well as many other expeditions. Can't say I climb as well or photograph as well but it's a worthwhile setup to try.

you can also biner a small TLZ to your pack straps. works almost as well, better for layering situations. i used this system for a long time.

I agree with you, traveling with non photographers sucks. you need to be in better shape than the group in order to leap frog if you're looking for more than a few shots. Definitely need to pair the system down the essentials so you aren't fussing with lens changes and such. And you've also got 5lbs more gear than they do which makes things tougher.

ak_powder_monkey

Apr 2, 2006, 5:01 AM
Post #16 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Anyone got any input?

unless you are shooting something you need an auto focus and exposure (like skiing) go get a $50 pentax k100 from ebay, or something with equally low power consuption that has real small easy to carry batteries. And shoot velvia slide film and you'll get just as good if not better pictures.

I think investing $1500 in a camera is stupid if you are gonna take it into the worlds most unfriendly places.

leapinlizard

Apr 2, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #17 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was just on the REI website and ran across a drybag designed for the digital slr's. It is about $130, but it says in teh description that it will allow you to take photos in very shallow water and in all sorts of weather conditions. It looks really cool, and I think I will prob get one when I have more money(unfortunately no time soon). Anyway, it seems like this would be a good solution. As for the microdrives at altitude, I talked to a guy at kingston, and he told me that while they may function above 10000ft they are not warrantied and that the majority of problems start at about 12000ft. Anyway, hope that helps.

tradmanclimbs

Apr 3, 2006, 2:13 AM
Post #18 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Use your D SLR for all your shots from camp and on the road. for actual climbing rts use a 5mp CANON A610 or 7mp A620 point and shoot. all the manuel controls that you need and run on AA's. Way cheaper than breaking a D SLR and fairly saleable Files. INMOP I live in the NE and have not used Digital cameras above 6,000 ft. This thread is the first time however that I have heard about altitude issues???

kman

Apr 3, 2006, 2:25 AM
Post #19 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah that's the answer. Go buy a $50 piece of shit so you can take crap pictures :roll:

Here is an excellent article that might answer some of your question. Written by a climber.
http://www.fredmiranda.com/A19/

melekzek

Apr 3, 2006, 4:24 AM
Post #20 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Go buy a $50 piece of s--- so you can take crap pictures :roll:

you are clueless. that is a pretty good suggestion

kman

Apr 3, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #21 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My bad. Pentax k100 is a film SLR. Skimming through the posts I thought it was one of those lame digital point and shoot 1.2 MP cameras :lol:

tradmanclimbs

Apr 3, 2006, 5:20 PM
Post #22 of 22 (4085 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I know several working pros who use high end digi point and shoots for most of their climbing photography. If you are on assignment and have a gaurenteed paycheck by all means use your DSLRs for as much as possible. If you are just out climbing and want good shots that you can still sell if you happen to get something really good then take your point and shoot with you. In the long run you most likly will save money by saveing the wear and tear on your dslr. Especialy if you are shooting in a desert enviornment!!

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook