RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

sanchez

Jan 30, 2006, 4:11 AM
Post #1 of 7 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Bouldering in Nicaragua / Costa Rica?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I guess the subject thread says it all... I'm mostly interested in Nicaragua, but seeing as though Costa Rica is nearby, I wouldn't mind knowing.
Any interesting spots? Climbing isn't really an option since the people I'm going down with aren't "vertically"-inclined, I guess it's the best way to put it.

Thanks for any info,
éS!

ps: I see alot of similar threads but no actual info... also, nothing on Nicaragua, so I figured it was worth a shot.

mikej

Feb 10, 2006, 3:26 PM
Post #2 of 7 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Re: Bouldering in Nicaragua / Costa Rica? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i spent some time in Cr, and brought my bouldering gear. I was only there for a week, but it was way too wet. You would have to do some seriously route cleaning because every rock is covered in moss and damp. Maybe it would work during the dry season, but if not, don't even bother. Its so humid the rock never really dries either. I spent the entire time in wet clothes, because after you wash them, they don't dry....EVER!

hammerhead

Feb 10, 2006, 3:32 PM
Post #3 of 7 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been to CR twice in the last four years. The only climbing we did was inside a giant strangler fig tree. Then we rapped down a waterfall. It was really pretty cool. It was down by the Osa Pennisula near Matapalo. You can do the zipline through the jungle. It's a steel cable that runs from one side of a valley to the other. It's really pretty cool.
CR is moslty known for its' surfing, whitewater rafting and deep sea fishing. Oh, and if you go, take synthetic clothes instead of cotton. Synthetic will dry (somewhat) cotton never dries down there.

Al

Pura vida

mattedhead

Feb 10, 2006, 4:27 PM
Post #4 of 7 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I saw this post and figured it was a good opportunity for me to sign up and join the sprayfest...all jokes aside CR can be a great place to boulder. While I don't doubt the experiences of the previous posters, there are a number of areas that have good bouldering and can be extremely dry. I have been going 1-2x per year for the past 5-6 years and rarely leave my chalkbag and slippers at home.

I would suggest the Guanacaste region as it is much drier and often has a nice breeze to keep you a bit cooler. The Playa Grande area is a great place to start (just North of Tamarindo). The north end of this beach marked by "ChickenHead Rock" has a bit of bouldering but the real gems lie further north. I would suggest taking the dirt road to the north...when you come to a manky ass bridge...stop(unless you #1 feel lucky and #2 have good ground clearance). Park by the shade trees at the edge of the beach. There is a cliff face directly in front of you, or you can follow the road over the bridge on foot to the next bay. The bouldering areas will be obvious (Nice overhangs to the south end). Don't forget your dive gear. This bay stays pretty clear and we generally do well with the lobster diving, and I have shot some nice snapper for dinner here as well. The driest period is November-April...and I have NEVER seen rain during this period. The papagayo winds are steady this time of year and they are offshore nearly all day. I often go this time of year for the clean surf.

A good place for further exploration is north of Flamingo. Very clear water...great diving/spearfishing and some good rock. If you have any more questions just shoot me a pm.

Matt

sanchez

Feb 10, 2006, 5:05 PM
Post #5 of 7 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

wow! thanks for all the replies guys, you've more than helpful, especially since the related topics are kind of lacking.

It seems now the trip has been relocated to Costa Rica (house rental is cheaper.), so i'll have to take a look and see... since we are going in august, i'm sure the surf will be good but the climbing poor (wetness)... i sort forgot about that detail, august being in the middle of the rainy season.

thanks again,
éS!

mikej

Feb 10, 2006, 5:18 PM
Post #6 of 7 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The surf is nice and the water very warm. You'll appreciate that quite a bit. Plus there's plenty of monkeys to see, great fresh fish and seafood etc. Don't let our previous posts give you the wrong idea about the place. I loved it, i just couldn't climb where i was during that time of year. They also have some good mangrove tours if you want to see some more wildlife.

mattedhead

Feb 10, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #7 of 7 (1485 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are looking at the playa grande area...talk to Kai. Awesome little houses, 3min walk to the beach and at a good price. It's nice and quiet, but you might want ot head further south of Tamarindo and Nosara
to get away from the crowded line-ups...thought that is the slow season for the north.

www.tamarindo.com/kai

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook