RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

littlejames

Feb 12, 2006, 11:35 AM
Post #1 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Shoe Recommendations?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

G'day all,

I've had a pair of Sportiva Mistrals since 2002, and I love them. Unfortunately it's now time for their 4th resole, and I don't think they're quite the same. So I figure it's time for a new pair of ninja boots.

Can anyone recommend something similar to the (presumably unavailable) Mistrals? I'm planning on climbing lots of overhanging sport routes and bouldering with them... I've heard good things about the Katanas, but any other ideas?

Cheers.

goob3r

Feb 12, 2006, 11:53 AM
Post #2 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Re: Shoe Recommendations? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Mocassims

Partner tgreene

Feb 12, 2006, 2:41 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://advertisers.gr-outdoors.net/banners/acopa.jpg

http://www.acopausa.com

rad_dog

Feb 12, 2006, 2:43 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

littlejames - I don't suppose you might wear a 39.5 Mistral? I've got a pair of those in great shape that don't fit me.

overlord

Feb 12, 2006, 2:55 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

mistrals suck.

if you like sportiva shoes, get miura or katana. both are really good shoes.

or check out evolv and mad rock. bandit and kaos from evolv and anasazi line and moccassins from mad rock.

too_far_gone

Feb 12, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #6 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Go to ebay and find a pair for half the price. May not be the pair you want, but you can find good shoes there for good prices. I just bought a pair of Evolve's shoes yesterday for 45.00 brand new. Can't beat it.

moss1956

Feb 12, 2006, 3:56 PM
Post #7 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Katana's are a nice Velcro shoe. They aren't stiff like the Anasazi or Evolv Kaos, and the toe isn't all that aggressive. The rubber is a little thicker near the edge of the sole, which helps you edge, but they are really like ballet slippers with rubber on them. They are great all around climbing shoes, aggressive enough to let you climb hard, mellow enough that you can ``feel'' the rock.

Miura's are supposedly built on a modified Katana last, whatever that means. The toe is down turned. When it comes to overhanging rock, they are the fshizzle, IMHO. They take longer to get on and off than the Katana's, but they fit better. I always get a cramp in the bottom of my foot when I wear them too long because of the down turned toe. If its harder than 5.10, I wear the Miura's.

My son has the Kaos, and I wear them from time to time. They are more boot like than than the Katana's and the Miuras. The sole is pretty stiff and the body of the shoes is ``supportive''. I think they are a better choice for people who climb less, because they help you use your feet correctly. The downside is that you get less of a feel for the rock.

I think the Anasazi is similar to the Kaos. The Galileo's are supposed to be shaped like the Anasazi, but have a less coercive fit.

Being old school, I have a history of just taping my feet when its warm.
Its a level of sensitivity that no shoe can deliver. I also eat too much tofu, and like alfalfa sprouts on everything. Your mileage may differ.

Go try some shoes on.

overlord

Feb 12, 2006, 4:19 PM
Post #8 of 8 (1009 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Miura's are supposedly built on a modified Katana last, whatever that means. The toe is down turned. When it comes to overhanging rock, they are the fshizzle, IMHO. They take longer to get on and off than the Katana's, but they fit better. I always get a cramp in the bottom of my foot when I wear them too long because of the down turned toe. If its harder than 5.10, I wear the Miura's.

actually katanas are made on a modified miura last :wink:

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook