Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

climbswithorange

Feb 15, 2006, 3:27 PM
Post #1 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Introduction and three questions
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I'm the noobiest, greenest, climbed-a-gym-twice rookie on this site...but I can't wait to get started on climbing and wanted some info that I couldn't find when searching.

I'm a 25 year old guy, in good shape, weigh about 200 pounds but have no problem supporting my own weight, run and work out almost daily...I am eager to start climbing regularly and look forward to developing good technique.

A few questions:

1) I have found a potential partner to get into this sport with me and was wondering what the approximate cost of good start-up equipment is if we want to do a lot of sport climbing this summer. Rope, shoes, harness, helmet (?), etc...what else?

2) What are some bad habits I can learn to avoid right now? I've read a lot on this forum over the last few weeks and know that I need to avoid the temptation to 'power up' some of the easier routes I'll be doing at first and develop solid technique. Any other tips for me?

3) I'm from Ontario...I will be going to check out Gravity in Hamilton soon and hope to go there regularly if we dig it. If I enjoy it consistently I will then consider taking the two-weekend course from Equinox Adventures in Milton. Good idea/bad idea? Any other recommendations for where to take lessons/courses in SW Ontario?

Sorry for the many words...Thanks for your help!

dingus

Feb 15, 2006, 4:24 PM
Post #2 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Re: Introduction and three questions [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

1. $500.00, look for starter kits, may get in cheaper.
2. Taking advice from strangers on the internet.
3. Can't help you with Ontario.

And one proactive piece, which goes hand in hand with #2... assume FULL responsibility for your own safety and well being from the git go. Do not accept something as 'right' just because someone tells you so. If you are uncomfortable with something, demand explanations or go about it a different way. Do not be afraid to say 'no.'

Taking responsibility for yourself suggests you already own a couple of how-to manuals, or at least have them on order. You will have read them cover to cover before you take a course. You will have practiced your knots and what have you. Don't expect climbing to be handed to you on a silver platter.

Cheers

DMT

reg

Feb 15, 2006, 4:30 PM
Post #3 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
1. $500.00, look for starter kits, may get in cheaper.
3. Can't help you with Ontario.

And one proactive piece, which goes hand in hand with #2... assume FULL responsibility for your own safety and well being from the git go. Do not accept something as 'right' just because someone tells you so. If you are uncomfortable with something, demand explanations or go about it a different way. Do not be afraid to say 'no.'

Taking responsibility for yourself suggests you already own a couple of how-to manuals, or at least have them on order. You will have read them cover to cover before you take a course. You will have practiced your knots and what have you. Don't expect climbing to be handed to you on a silver platter.

Cheers

DMT

right on! esp. "just cause so and so said so" stuff! "Do not be afraid to say 'no.'" - i untied from a TR system when, after i asked how the gear was, one guy said "the tricam may have fallen out but it's good!" :shock:

Partner j_ung

Feb 15, 2006, 4:39 PM
Post #4 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

RE: #3

I think that at this point in your climbing life, taking a class is a very good idea. Good on ya.

And welcome to the site!

wings

Feb 15, 2006, 4:48 PM
Post #5 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
3) I'm from Ontario...I will be going to check out Gravity in Hamilton soon and hope to go there regularly if we dig it. If I enjoy it consistently I will then consider taking the two-weekend course from Equinox Adventures in Milton. Good idea/bad idea? Any other recommendations for where to take lessons/courses in SW Ontario?

There are a number of guides / guiding services that you can look into. I've never been to Gravity but they would probably have flyers or some sort advertising the various companies. The ones I've talked to / taken courses with are:

One Axe Pursuits
Cort McElroy (I took my first trad course with him)
Richard Massiah (did a lot of the first ascents in Rattlesnake and Buffalo, I believe)

- Seyil

climbswithorange

Feb 15, 2006, 4:54 PM
Post #6 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Thanks for the great advice...no silver platter for me, I'm looking forward to learning everything there is to know and facing constant challenges in the process.

I will search for book recommendations in the forums but are there one or two specific ones that you would recommend for me?

Also, does the $500 usually include suction cups? I read some great climbing advice on AskMen.com. :shock:

dingus

Feb 15, 2006, 4:55 PM
Post #7 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I will search for book recommendations in the forums but are there one or two specific ones that you would recommend for me?

Do the search bro. Its all there.

DMT

blueeyedclimber

Feb 15, 2006, 5:03 PM
Post #8 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm the noobiest, greenest, climbed-a-gym-twice rookie on this site...but I can't wait to get started on climbing and wanted some info that I couldn't find when searching.

I'm a 25 year old guy, in good shape, weigh about 200 pounds but have no problem supporting my own weight, run and work out almost daily...I am eager to start climbing regularly and look forward to developing good technique.

Welcome!

In reply to:
A few questions:

1) I have found a potential partner to get into this sport with me and was wondering what the approximate cost of good start-up equipment is if we want to do a lot of sport climbing this summer. Rope, shoes, harness, helmet (?), etc...what else?

Being a NOOB, it is perfectly exceptable to show with only personal equipment (harness, shoes, chalkbag, helmet), AS LONG as you are willing to carry some or all of the group gear (rope, draws, etc.)

In reply to:
2) What are some bad habits I can learn to avoid right now? I've read a lot on this forum over the last few weeks and know that I need to avoid the temptation to 'power up' some of the easier routes I'll be doing at first and develop solid technique. Any other tips for me?

What dingus said. Also, more than likely, you will not avoid most of the mistakes, and that is not necesarily the point. You will make them, and if you want to get better, you will learn from them. The only things that you HAVE to know and avoid are the mistakes that will get you killed (i.e. not tieing in correctly or not doubling back your harness)

In reply to:

I can't help you with Ontario, but as far as courses go, they are NEVER a bad idea....BUT, if I were you, I would get some experience climbing first, read A LOT, and then take a course. In doing this, you will develop questions and start to know what you don't know yet. If you are TOO MUCH of a NOOB, then you won't know what questions to ask.

In reply to:
Sorry for the many words...Thanks for your help!

No problem, and heed what dingus said about taking advice from strangers on the internet. Take everything with a grain of salt and take responsibilty for everything you do!

Partner epoch

Feb 15, 2006, 5:16 PM
Post #9 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:

Please refer to this on ALL matters...

climbswithorange

Feb 15, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #10 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Please refer to this on ALL matters...

Not sure I can trust you on that one...

climbswithorange

Feb 15, 2006, 5:31 PM
Post #11 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Do the search bro. Its all there.

DMT

Okay, I realized I still have a bookstore gift certificate from Christmas so I'll spend it on "How to Rock Climb!" by John Long and "Mountaineering: Freedom of the Hills".

It's too bad, I was going to use that gift card to buy Boards of Canada's Campfire Headphase...my official first sacrifice has been made for the sport.

Edit: Dropped the Luebben book for "Freedom of the Hills".

mikej

Feb 15, 2006, 6:43 PM
Post #12 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for mental training, the way of the rock warrior is a good book. The main thing i got out of it is to do climbs for the enjoyment and not difficulty and no matter how you climb in any given day, its still progress because you're learning and building strength. There's a lot more to it than just that though. It had a lot of hippy stuff in it, but thats to be expected. its a good read, and not too long.

Partner brent_e

Feb 15, 2006, 7:02 PM
Post #13 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey, you need a partner!?!?

I live 5 minutes from gravity, if you want to climb sometime, let me know!!!

:D

Brent

curtis_g

Feb 15, 2006, 7:08 PM
Post #14 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

hey man, I bought a lot of starter gear awhile ago and wish I knew about this deal at PaganGear.com

I really think it is an awesome deal. It's under $100 for an unpadded harness, a MadRock Paradox (i think, or something like an ATC) a locking para-biner (big asymetric carabiner good for belaying) a chalk bag AND a pair of shoes, your choice of the MadRock Pheonix or the Flash, two great shoes for you to start on, and a chalk bag.

If it didn't already have this stuff I would jump on this deal like mad.
my other suggestion is to go to REI and try on all the gear you are going to buy, especially the shoes, and then go find it all for cheaper on pagangear.com or gearexpress.com (my two favorites)

For some $10 more you can get the padded harness package!

bobruef

Feb 15, 2006, 7:12 PM
Post #15 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you're at all serious doing a lot of sport climbing this summer, I would definately invest in a harness that you're wild about. While you can spend as little as 30 bucks, often times you get what you pay for. The cheap ones will keep you safe, but some options are much more comfortable/ convenient than others.

Definately check out Petzl's offerings, and try on plenty of shoes/ harnesses before you buy.

Good luck, have fun!

musicman1586

Feb 15, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #16 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It doesn't take 500 dollars to get started sport climbing, I've been climbing sport for 7 months now and so far I've spent a lil more then 250, and that includes 2 pairs of shoes because my first pair crapped out on me long before they should have. Watch sales, buy things as you get the money. For example, I got my 60 dollar harness for 40, I got a pair of 120 buck Mythos for 95, the sales are out there all over the place, just gotta watcha for them. I still lack draws and a rope (working on the rope thing right now) but honestly most the time when out, bringing another rope and more draws would be overkill cause there's already more then enough out there.

dingus

Feb 15, 2006, 7:30 PM
Post #17 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I still lack draws and a rope

Maybe you should take a gander at the original request...

DMT

climbswithorange

Feb 15, 2006, 7:34 PM
Post #18 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds good...doesn't sound like a crazy expensive hobby to get started in...

I'm a photographer and have had to bite the bullet on a few thousand dollars of lenses and stuff and I've kept it manageable by buying used. Is it safe to buy used climbing gear or should I look for deals on new stuff until I know exactly what to look for?

sungam

Feb 15, 2006, 7:52 PM
Post #19 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

buy the cheapest rope, probobly the the skypilot you can, and a bunch of hb draws, and it'll cost you about nowt.
it was £80 for the rope and £40 for the draws, and you should be able to get a harness for about £25; total= £145, add some shoes for £30 and thats £175
in us dollars- $250
Half of what you stated?
Climb on.

-Magnus

musicman1586

Feb 15, 2006, 7:56 PM
Post #20 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I still lack draws and a rope

Maybe you should take a gander at the original request...

DMT

Um....yes, he asked what it costs to get started up, I believe I've "gotten started" and I haven't shelled out half a grand like several people have said. I'm not saying I have all the essentials, but I've been out climbing for quite a while now and haven't broken the 500-dollar barrier. Once rope and draws are purchased, yes I will have spent that much, but 7 months in and I haven't had to yet, I've been out climbing and buying gear as money comes along.

jetclimber

Feb 15, 2006, 8:20 PM
Post #21 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ummmmm.... Suction cups????

Did anybody else catch this? What the heck are suction cups used for? I wouldn't trust anything you read on Askmen.com about climbing. There have been some funny discussions about them on this site.

mikej

Feb 15, 2006, 8:21 PM
Post #22 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I got a good friend into climbing when i didn't really have a partner and we started splitting gear cost on a rope, draws, crash pad and misc. gear. That worked out great. One of us paid for the rope, another the draws and belay device. Now we have jobs and other climbing buds and can afford more gear. I would stay away from used gear like ropes, quick draws or harness if you don't know who it's coming from. Used shoes are a great deal, especially cause you can get them resoled.

saxfiend

Feb 15, 2006, 9:01 PM
Post #23 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
2) What are some bad habits I can learn to avoid right now?
Try not to annoy jt512 and Curt. :D

JL

climbswithorange

Feb 15, 2006, 9:47 PM
Post #24 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Ummmmm.... Suction cups????

Did anybody else catch this? What the heck are suction cups used for? I wouldn't trust anything you read on Askmen.com about climbing. There have been some funny discussions about them on this site.

Indeed there have...that's what I was alluding to. No need to worry, I won't be buying suction cups. I have heard that willpower costs far less and will get me further.

Partner jammer

Feb 15, 2006, 10:26 PM
Post #25 of 41 (3288 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm a photographer

Cool ... we need more pictures! Can't wait till you get good enough to take some, but be sure not to take them from the ground ... you know, butt shots! UNLESS ... of course, the climber is a nice lady :wink:

Dingus hit it on the head for climbing and saxfiend is right on about this site!

Welcome to the world of climbing! I have no idea where in Ontario, Canada you live, but if you can make it down to Rumney, there is a gathering going on and all climbers are welcome!

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook