RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Canada

Premier Sponsor:

cissi

Feb 2, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #1 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Canadian travel insurance?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Does anyone have any tips on a good travel insurance (Canadian) that covers rock climbing? Doesn't seem to be much out there!
My partner and I are thinking of taking a month long road trip in both Canada and the US and I figure "better safe than sorry". Those American emergency medical bills add up quickly, I've heard...

:wink:

Any ideas?

skinner

Feb 2, 2006, 3:40 PM
Post #2 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Re: Canadian travel insurance? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

[olive]passthepitonspete[/olive] aka; [olive]PTPP[/olive] aka; [olive]dr. piton [/olive]aka; [olive]Pete Zabrock [/olive]

who claims: "I'm just a part-time life insurance agent who happens to solo big walls on his holidays"

Is Canadian, and I seem to recall him mentioning travel/life insurance for climbers.
I think he still writes Aid Tech Tips for Climbing Mag and could probably be contacted through there.
Lets us know what you find out, especially if our sorry a$$e$ may actually be worth something!
----
Edited: Sorry, it's R&I and his contact info is:
In reply to:
Have a question you'd dare pose to Dr. Piton? Email: drpiton@bigstonepub.com

sparker

Feb 6, 2006, 12:27 AM
Post #3 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am a Canadian and travel into the US for climbing a couple of times a year.

My insurance is from
TIC Travel Insurance Co-ordinators
#300-2609 Westview Drive, North Vancouver, BC V7N 4M2

The broker I bought it from is
Nella Travel & tours Ltd
287 Queenston Rd
Hamilton, ON, L8K 1H2
905 312 8991

Be careful when ordering insurance. Before I found this company I phoned a lot of companies and asked if they covered climbing the response was usually “yes”. Then when I asked if they would put that in writing they would check with a supervisor and come back and say that they were mistaken and the policy did not cover climbing.

When I asked for a letter saying I had been misinformed by the operator, the connection would be mysteriously terminated.

For the record I am not affiliated with either company and have never had to make a claim.

Partner macherry

Feb 6, 2006, 12:42 AM
Post #4 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

macherry moved this thread [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

macherry moved this thread from Trip Reports to Canada.

schnoz

Feb 6, 2006, 2:53 AM
Post #5 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've been getting my medical insurance when going to the states for climbing through CAA. You don't need to be a member to get it.

I can't find any of the old policies, but I remember going through them and there was no mention of exclusion for rock climbing. I'd gone through several policies before that to find one that didn't.

Perhaps I'm mistaken and the medical travel insurance through CAA doesn't cover it? It would be helpful to know.

Partner tattooed_climber

Feb 6, 2006, 2:58 AM
Post #6 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i've gotten mine afew times through bcaa (caa)..but i'm sure it didn't cover climbing related fo-fos..though i didn't ask...climber=extreme=no thank you, next? is what i thought would happen

ihategrigris

Feb 6, 2006, 5:13 AM
Post #7 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

TIC insurance covers rock climbing (I confirmed this with my travel agent before picking up the policy). It does not mention amature sporting activities of any sort in it's exception (it does however mention pro sport as well as actual comps.... so if you're going down to compete, you'll need something else... otherwise you're good.

http://www.travelinsurance.ca/

cissi

Feb 6, 2006, 7:31 PM
Post #8 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Alright folks, here's the end result:

As it turns out, TIC Insurance does NOT cover rock climbing... Maybe a recent change in policy, who knows, right?
However, a company called Prime Link Insurance does. If you are under 54 years of age, in good health and not climbing professionally, you're good to go. 15 days comes to $22.00, all together.

Check it out at www.primelink.info or call them at 1 800 509 5831.

Thanks for all your help everyone!

Cheers,

Cissi :D

getsomeethics

Feb 9, 2006, 3:59 AM
Post #9 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i just sent an email to my travel agent about TIC cos i am in oz climbing and always use TIC for insurance....

will post when i get my reply......

tf

getsomeethics

Feb 9, 2006, 10:02 PM
Post #10 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i contacted my travel agent in canada yesterday about TIC:

"Thanks for your email. Where are you hearing this horrible rumour? It's not true! I contacted TIC to check it out and climbing is still covered on all our policies. If you want to check out their web site for more information you can go onto www.travelinsurance.ca
Exculsion Number 12, is if you are a professional climber then you are not covered."

cissi

Feb 10, 2006, 1:25 PM
Post #11 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to hear, I'm glad you are properly covered. I don't know what I was told...? I spoke to an agent with TIC and he said that NO climbing, with out without ropes, were covered. Weird!

Thanks for your help.

Cissi
:roll:

schnoz

Feb 21, 2006, 4:49 AM
Post #12 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm sure most of you have or will be receiving the latest MEC e-mail newsletter. It contained a link for free two day coverage from "the co-operators" insurance group. The link found in the newsletter takes you to here. It specifically states that rock climbing is covered for this free coverage for MEC members (and who isn't a member?).

The coverage is supplied by TIC through the co-operators, which supports what getsomeethics found out. This could be quite handy for those quick trips to the Gunks or elsewhere.

getsomeethics

Feb 23, 2006, 6:02 AM
Post #13 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Tic [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

it is weird that a TIC agent said no climbing was covered. maybe it was a new agent or assumed you were a pro?

i have been using TIC since 2000 and have actually made a claim once in the US. they have an american billing address which meant i did not have to fork out any cash what so ever and the claim was settled with very little paperwork or hassle. i think that claim has paid for the all the policies i have bought in the last 5 years.

knowsam

Mar 19, 2006, 3:01 AM
Post #14 of 20 (25318 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm insured through travel underwriters for an upcoming trip and they covered a climbing/mountaineering in the US - with ropes and tools (depending on altitude). I could not be paid for the climb and if I was drunk or high the policy was void. Same for pre existing medical conditions requiring doc visits prior to my leaving etc. It seems like it was pretty standard except they allowed climbing.
Sean

climber_for_life78

Jan 25, 2010, 10:32 PM
Post #15 of 20 (23265 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tattooed_climber] Canadian travel insurance? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Last time i went on a trip to europe climbing i bought bcaa (caa) insurance and i asked specificaly about climbing and they said it was coverd unless you where profesional.

climber_for_life78

Jan 25, 2010, 11:23 PM
Post #16 of 20 (23261 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climber_for_life78] Canadian travel insurance? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

just so people are aware i have just called T.I.C Prime Link and Bcaa (CAA) and all three companies provide travel insurance for climbers restrictions are that you can not be professional. BCAA was by far the cheapest for 2.5 months, i opted for a $500 deductible and also got coverage for my dog and it was $105.56 this was also buying it online and receiving a small discount for this. T.IC it was 159.39 and Prime link was $174. Thought i would share my hours of talking to operators so others could speedily buy it.

tradrenn

Jan 27, 2010, 9:17 PM
Post #17 of 20 (23212 views)
Shortcut

Re: [climber_for_life78] Canadian travel insurance? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

climber_for_life78 wrote:
just so people are aware i have just called T.I.C Prime Link and Bcaa (CAA) and all three companies provide travel insurance for climbers restrictions are that you can not be professional. BCAA was by far the cheapest for 2.5 months, i opted for a $500 deductible and also got coverage for my dog and it was $105.56 this was also buying it online and receiving a small discount for this. T.IC it was 159.39 and Prime link was $174. Thought i would share my hours of talking to operators so others could speedily buy it.

Thanks for doing all the work. FYI I was told the same (I'm using T.I.C. for my trips to US) + they told me that "professional" includes someone who is enrolled in climbing competition/s.

V.

Nataliya

May 30, 2013, 9:18 PM
Post #18 of 20 (18502 views)
Shortcut

Re: [tradrenn] Canadian travel insurance? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It's all great that T.I.C is telling you this stuff about rock climbing being covered. You should ask them to have it in writting, because I see otherwise on their policy.

http://www.ingletravel.com/docs/Travel/OutboundCanadians/TIC/TICTvl-PolicyBooklet.pdf

See exlusions:

EHM14 Injury resulting from training for or participating in:
• speed contests usually and customarily in excess of
60 km per hour;
• motorsport contests;
• stunt activities, exhibitions or demonstrations of
any kind;
• professionalsport activities; or
• high-risk activities.

Search for the definition of "high-risk" activities:

High-risk activity(ies) mean(s) heliskiing,ski jumping,
skydiving,sky-surfing,scuba diving (except if certified by
internationally recognized and accepted program such as
NAUI or PADI, orif diving depth does not exceed 30 meters),
white waterrafting (except grades 1 to 4),street luge,skeleton
activity, mountaineering, or participation in any rodeo activity

See definition of mountaineering:

Mountaineering meansthe ascent or descent of a mountain
requiring the use of specified equipment including crampons,
pick axes, anchors, bolts, carabiners and lead-rope ortop
rope anchoring equipment.

So I guess indoor rock climbing is covered, because there is no way that they can call a wall a mountain. However, they may try to claim you were training for moutaineering. For outdoor rock climbing - they may claim that a cliff is a mountain :(.

It's really screwed up that their sales representatives have either not read this policy, or can't provide clarification in writing.

leekohlbradley

Aug 8, 2013, 3:32 AM
Post #19 of 20 (17899 views)
Shortcut

Re: [Nataliya] Canadian travel insurance? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

There has been a move in recent years to start excluding rock climbing and mountain climbing. Everyone has to read those policies really carefully!

That said, anyone know knows of companies that do provide coverage to Canadians or ppl travelling to Canada, any beta would be much appreciated.

dagibbs

Aug 9, 2013, 3:29 AM
Post #20 of 20 (17876 views)
Shortcut

Re: [leekohlbradley] Canadian travel insurance? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I think both the Alpine Club of Canada and Mountain Equipment Co-op broker insurance for their members, and I would expect that insurance would cover rock climbing.

Forums : Climbing Partners : Canada

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook