RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Climbing Photography

Premier Sponsor:

timmay

Feb 27, 2006, 1:45 PM
Post #1 of 8 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Canon Powershot S2 IS vs Kodak Z740
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I am looking at buying my first digital camera. After looking through some reviews, I narrowed it down to these cameras. They both have 5mega pixels and at least a 10x optical zoom. However, the Canon has the image stabilization but it costs at least $100 more. I was just wondering if people have used these two cameras and wanted to know what you think and also if the image stabilization is work it.

pico23

Mar 15, 2006, 11:17 PM
Post #2 of 8 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Re: Canon Powershot S2 IS vs Kodak Z740 [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am looking at buying my first digital camera. After looking through some reviews, I narrowed it down to these cameras. They both have 5mega pixels and at least a 10x optical zoom. However, the Canon has the image stabilization but it costs at least $100 more. I was just wondering if people have used these two cameras and wanted to know what you think and also if the image stabilization is work it.

The Canon S2 is probably the best value on the market. The lens is excellent, borderline profesional quality. The IS is worth every penny. THe focusing is rapid and it doesn't hunt. featurewise it gives you pretty much full control. i wish it had a hotshoe and accepted canon speed lights but i think it does accept a canon accesory flash.

the kodak is a nice camera with a good lens. the older models tended to hunt on focus but also had a better lens. the turn on time is also slower on the kodak.

if you are comparing the Kodak and the S2 you need to compare the S2 and the Kodak P850 or P880. I think both of those cameras are among the best digital non SLR's on the market and the price for either is exellent. when you consider the features both are great cameras.

heres a link to the 850/880

http://www.kodak.com/...7372&pq-locale=en_US

melekzek

Mar 15, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #3 of 8 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i do not like this slr-like formfactor.

It is almost (!) as large as an slr, and it is heavy. Its sensor is 1/2.5" which is the same size of some p&s, so you get the same low-light noise issues. IS is a plus, so is the larger tele, but you need a tripod along to be able to efficiently use it. Well, it is (a lot) cheaper than dslr, but you only have as much control as a p&s (not all p&s are equal here, i am thinking about canon A series).

So, can some of the users tell me, why do you like this in-between formfactor?

trenchdigger

Mar 15, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #4 of 8 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Large optical zooms on point and shoot digital cameras are basically useless without image stabilization. Another camera you should investigate before purchasing is the Panasonic FZ-5. I have the older FZ-3 and my girlfriend has the FZ-5. With a newer model coming out soon, prices should be dropping. Image quality and sharpness with this camera is superior to the Kodak and probably edges out the Canon as well. Check reviews of all of these cameras (and comparisons between them) at http://www.dpreview.com.

trenchdigger

Mar 15, 2006, 11:47 PM
Post #5 of 8 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It is almost (!) as large as an slr, and it is heavy. Its sensor is 1/2.5" which is the same size of some p&s, so you get the same low-light noise issues. IS is a plus, so is the larger tele, but you need a tripod along to be able to efficiently use it. Well, it is (a lot) cheaper than dslr, but you only have as much control as a p&s.

I'm not sure you can call the S2-IS or Panasonic FZ-5 "SLR-Like" form factor. They're 1/3 the size and weight, and provide the zoom range of 2 lenses. They also cost about 1/4 of what an SLR to do the same thing would cost.

Of course they don't perform like SLRs either. That's why I have a 20D and 6 lenses to go with it when I want top quality and complete control. There are, however, times when that is overkill.

climblouisiana

Mar 16, 2006, 12:16 AM
Post #6 of 8 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are two things that I liked about the Canon S1 IS.
1.) A remote control was available making bouldering shots easier to get if you were bouldering solo or with a spotter.
2.)Intravalometer- Basically a time lapse. You can set up your camera in a safe location and take 60 or more shots at a specified interval down to one minute. Ideal for avoiding butt shots when you are cragging.

I'm not sure if the Canon S2 IS offers both of these features but it makes sense that it would considering it is an upgrade.

The Canon S3 IS is coming out at the end of May.

melekzek

Mar 16, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #7 of 8 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm not sure you can call the S2-IS or Panasonic FZ-5 "SLR-Like" form factor.

they are size-wise between a p&s and slr, thats why. I actually saw the term "slr-like" somewhere else (dpreview?), and adopted.

pico23

Mar 16, 2006, 5:25 AM
Post #8 of 8 (1955 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

It is almost (!) as large as an slr, and it is heavy. Its sensor is 1/2.5" which is the same size of some p&s, so you get the same low-light noise issues. IS is a plus, so is the larger tele, but you need a tripod along to be able to efficiently use it. Well, it is (a lot) cheaper than dslr, but you only have as much control as a p&s (not all p&s are equal here, i am thinking about canon A series).

The canon A Series and S1-S2 have tremendous control.

I agree the form factor of the big zoom EVF cameras is terrible. Big and clunky. But they are lighter than an SLR. The IS is substantially lighter when you consider the SLR lens or lenses. IMO they aren't meant to replace the SLR but rather complement it in places where you want a lot of zoom range but don't want to carry your SLR.

I still figure SLR or P&S with accesory lenses for my needs. My pocket size kodak has a wide angle and a 7x addon zoom. Giving me a nice bag of tricks out of 1lb of gear.

Agreed, the noise over ISO 200 is iffy on those small ~5x7mm sensors.

Those Kodaks are pretty nice though (p850 and P880) Probably the nicest EVF's on the market and should be a few hundred more when you consider what an SLR with those lenses would cost. Even to the point that they have manual focus and zoom rings (and hot shoes) rather than those stupid thumb buttons for zooming. Honestly if your looking at spending $400-500 take a look at the P850/80.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Climbing Photography

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook