RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Gear Heads

Premier Sponsor:

jimdavis

Mar 1, 2006, 4:45 AM
Post #1 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

MH Epic vs. Marmot Rim...feedback requested
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I think I'm officially in the market for a new summer hard-shell. This will be my 4th WPB shell, so I'm specific in what I'm looking for....

I want a trim fitting, single layer shell. I'm looking for something with good vents on it (using it in ME, VA, NC in the summer...the WBP membranes won't breath in those temps, so I NEED good vents), and something relativly durable.

Ignoring price for the time being...what do you all suggest for a light, good venting, trim, single layer shell? I'd really like something with some stretch to it, too.

I've looked at the GoLite, Moonstone, Lowe Alpine, Marmot, MH, TNF, Patagonia, EMS, REI, and Arcteryx line-ups....and these 2 jackets are my top picks so far.

The only other possibility right now was the Arcteryx Beta SL or something...I've heard their waterproofing isn't the best, but the cut is the best around.

I'll be doing a lot of camping in it, climbing, and hiking (leading extended trips for teens) and I want something comfortable, light, trim (i'm skinny) and durable enough to last through the summer of extended use.

Any feedback on the 2 jackets listed? They're both light, trim, stretchy, and well venting....

Any other jackets you think I should be considering?

Thanks to all the fellow gear heads in advance!
Jim

scuclimber

Mar 1, 2006, 6:02 AM
Post #2 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Re: MH Epic vs. Marmot Rim...feedback requested [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The only other possibility right now was the Arcteryx Beta SL or something...I've heard their waterproofing isn't the best, but the cut is the best around.

Last time I checked, both of the Arcteryx jackets I've owned didn't leak. :wink: My buddy just bought the Epic jacket off of steepandcheap, and he seems to like it pretty well, I saw him wearing it last night actually. I have a Mamot PrecipPlus jacket and it's not breathable at all IMHO. I wouldn't rule out the Arcteryx.

Colin

treez

Mar 1, 2006, 9:31 AM
Post #3 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have been using the MH Epic as my work shell for over a year now. I am a framing contractor in Juneau, AK. It has been tested for hundreds of hours in extreme rainfall and I am sold!

thetroutscout

Mar 1, 2006, 12:00 PM
Post #4 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I wish Lowe Alpine wouldn't have sold out to GoreTex. Getting ride of eVENT was a big mistake. If you can find a jacket made of eVENT - snatch it up quick!! If not, MH Epic

^^ike

jimdavis

Mar 1, 2006, 2:22 PM
Post #5 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I wish Lowe Alpine wouldn't have sold out to GoreTex. Getting ride of eVENT was a big mistake. If you can find a jacket made of eVENT - snatch it up quick!! If not, MH Epic

^^ike

I think Lowe Alpine used TriplePoint, and Triplepoint Ceramic...I thought eVENT was someone else....WildThings maybe?

In reply to:
Last time I checked, both of the Arcteryx jackets I've owned didn't leak. Wink My buddy just bought the Epic jacket off of steepandcheap, and he seems to like it pretty well, I saw him wearing it last night actually. I have a Mamot PrecipPlus jacket and it's not breathable at all IMHO. I wouldn't rule out the Arcteryx.

I've heard mixed things about them, is all. I knew a Philmont ranger that bought an Arcteryx shell, retail; then had to send it back twice in less than 2 weeks of use. The first time for replacement, cause it wetted out the 2nd time he put it on...the second time he sent it back it was for good (did the same thing again.)

If the Arcteryx is worth the money, I'll throw down for it....but I've heard good things about the Epic, and read good things about the Rim.

As for the PrecipPlus not being that breathable...the jacket will be used in temps from 60-100 degrees F (mostly in the 80's-90's)....So I'm not counting on much breathability at all, from anything...that's why vents are super important to me (and why the GoLite shells aren't in the running now).

Thanks guys, keep it comin!

Jim

reno

Mar 1, 2006, 3:31 PM
Post #6 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

^^ike

I think Lowe Alpine used TriplePoint, and Triplepoint Ceramic...I thought eVENT was someone else....WildThings maybe?

My Lowe Alpine shell is eVent.

jimdavis

Mar 1, 2006, 6:32 PM
Post #7 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good to know, I haven't seen any...that I can remember at least.

Thanks,
Jim

sspssp

Mar 1, 2006, 10:42 PM
Post #8 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

As for the PrecipPlus not being that breathable...the jacket will be used in temps from 60-100 degrees F (mostly in the 80's-90's)....So I'm not counting on much breathability at all, from anything...that's why vents are super important to me (and why the GoLite shells aren't in the running now).

I have a Lowe TriplePoint. I don't know if they every used eVent.

I really like the Precip. My version has zip vents under the arm (I don't know if they all do or not). However, it is not trim. I'm skinny and I can put my precip on over a summit pack, which I actually like, but this may not match your needs.

bolojm

Mar 7, 2006, 12:02 PM
Post #9 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I own the Rim jacket, and it is made with the "Precip Plus" fabric...a step up from the run-of-the-mill Precip jacket. The jacket is very comfortable with a trim fit, lightweight, with nice reflector strips on it. The last time I used it, I was hiking in the Smokies in wet snow with temps hovering around 30. I was sweating a little bit wearing just an Icebreaker wool baselayer while workin' it uphill...after the day was done (7+ miles on the trail) I was dry and the inside of the jacket was, as well. Waterproofness has never been an issue, either. My only minor quibble is that the waterproof zipper on the right hand pocket seemed to lose a little bit of its outer layer...but I don't see that as a deal-breaker.

anykineclimb

Mar 7, 2006, 1:20 PM
Post #10 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I had a Lowe shell that was made of eVent. I return it because it was too small for layering.

I'm really surpirsed they're not using eVent anymore. I've heard good things about the stuff.

But onto the OPs question: I do own a MH Epic shell and really liek it. the only downside IMHO is the "visor" when you pack the jacket into the stuff pocket, the visor WILL get deformed and it just bugs me... everything else is just fine on it. good fit. stretchy bits on the lats.

I also have a Precip and like it too. its a bit smaller when packed down and doesn't have a visor on the hood.

mtn_geek

Mar 7, 2006, 2:53 PM
Post #11 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you want an eVENT jacket, you may want to look at Integral Designs Jacket. I don't know anything about it other than it's eVENT and Integral Designs makes some really nice bivys.

Partner devkrev

Mar 7, 2006, 2:59 PM
Post #12 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

yeah, the problem with eVent is that if a company starts making jackets in it, for some reason Gore seems to lose their orders of GoreTex, or there is an issue with shipping or whatnot.
At least thats what I have heard from "Industry Insiders"

Its great stuff though

dev

anykineclimb

Mar 7, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #13 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
yeah, the problem with eVent is that if a company starts making jackets in it, for some reason Gore seems to lose their orders of GoreTex, or there is an issue with shipping or whatnot.
At least thats what I have heard from "Industry Insiders"

Its great stuff though

dev

Good to know that Gore is THAT threatened by eVent.

Now off to buy an eVent jacket...

crackers

Mar 7, 2006, 4:06 PM
Post #14 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Actually, your contract with gore specifically states that you are not allowed to use any other membrane without the specific written permission of gore.

At least that's the case for overseas producers.

Furthermore, you are not allowed to use any waterproof breathables in your clothing for three years following the end of your agreement with gore. And you have to share all of your patterns with all gore licensees.

sspssp

Mar 10, 2006, 5:22 PM
Post #15 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Actually, your contract with gore specifically states that you are not allowed to use any other membrane without the specific written permission of gore.

At least that's the case for overseas producers.

Furthermore, you are not allowed to use any waterproof breathables in your clothing for three years following the end of your agreement with gore. And you have to share all of your patterns with all gore licensees.

That's my understanding as well and I think it is all producers not just overseas.

But good thing that we have free, competative markets unhindered by any sort of monopolistic/predatory behavior. :evil:

omerdimsum

Mar 10, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #16 of 16 (2000 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have posted numerous accolades for the MH Epic jacket. You can query my posts if you like.

Two recent things though:

Although the Epic is still my top choice, I've noticed lately that on mine the main zipper sometimes catches near the top of the chest. Not a big deal; I just have to take the time to pull the material out of the zipper. Slightly frustrating though. Perhaps it's my fault, cause my TNF sleeping bag zipper always does the same thing right when I try to zip in for bed... :roll:

I think I saw an MH Epic on-line today for around $75. Excellent value.

Forums : Climbing Information : Gear Heads

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook