RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

builttospill

Mar 7, 2006, 7:07 AM
Post #1 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Best Way to Clean Climbing Shoes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Well, my new(er) shoes are starting to get like my old ones, really stiff around the ankles and laces area. Presumably from my sweat drying on them?

I wouldn't care, but my feet are generally pretty tender from the combination of activities that I do, so it was pretty painful getting them on today when I went climbing.

Is there a best way (or any way that is recommended) to clean the shoes and remove that stiffness? Or is it really not worth the effort (it wasn't horrendous pain, but it wasn't pleasant)?

tonloc

Mar 7, 2006, 8:18 AM
Post #2 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Re: Best Way to Clean Climbing Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

they are pretty tough those shoe things...shouldn't get hurt any way you wash them, have you tried just some water yet to get the salt buildup off of there...

builttospill

Mar 8, 2006, 12:34 AM
Post #3 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I haven't tried anything yet.....I've been too lazy. I figured I would just post here first and waste people's time before putting forth any effort on my own.

Yeah, I'll probably just douse them. They smell horrible.

Partner hosh

Mar 8, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #4 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If they're "vegan friendly" (think= synthetic), then you can just throw them in the washing machine, cool, no soap. I do it all the time with my old 5.10's (Ok, I don't actually throw them in, my wife does) and it workes fine. I don't hink it would be such a good idea if they're leather shoes, might shrink them and that would suck the big one.

hosh.

ridgeclimber

Mar 8, 2006, 1:25 AM
Post #5 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What about washing just the soles? I have mythos; can't toss them in the wash, and I only need to clean the soles. Would a wet towel do?

Sorry if this is slightly off topic: How can I stretch my shoes, besides walking around in them for several days?

austinclmbr

Mar 8, 2006, 1:29 AM
Post #6 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Mad rock shoes actually come with advice on cleaning. Can't quote but I do recall saying warm water (hot may re-activate the glue) and no soap.

or wait another month or two for warmer weather and water boulder in them, when they dry they are like new.

as for cleaning just the sole, try a toothbrush

kubi

Mar 8, 2006, 4:36 PM
Post #7 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've chucked both leather and synthetic climbing shoes in the wash, no problem either time. The leather shoes were a bit stiff, but they stretched back out to normal after just a few bouldering sessions. Highly recomended.

moose_droppings

Mar 8, 2006, 5:54 PM
Post #8 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
What about washing just the soles? I have mythos; can't toss them in the wash, and I only need to clean the soles. Would a wet towel do?

Just take a good ole wire brush to the bottoms.

laurajpetersen

Mar 8, 2006, 7:15 PM
Post #9 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Water and a good brush will get off the dirt.

If you want your shoes to be sticky for a comp or hard problem you can use a rag and a bit of white gas on the soles. Yes, white gas... be careful! If you use too much you can make your soles too tacky.

bastien

Mar 8, 2006, 7:19 PM
Post #10 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Since we're on the subject, with the exception of having them resoled, is there a 'poor mans' way to increase the grip on your shoes, such as sanding them rough, or heating them?

hammerhead

Mar 8, 2006, 7:29 PM
Post #11 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Since we're on the subject, with the exception of having them resoled, is there a 'poor mans' way to increase the grip on your shoes, such as sanding them rough, or heating them?

Use a stiff wire brush on the soles.

robbovius

Mar 8, 2006, 7:59 PM
Post #12 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I have a two pairs pf Mad Rocks (Phoenix and Flash) I clean every couple months, or when I feel they're getting especially dirty. I take a small amount of clothing detergent, slosh some warm water around inside the soles and have at them with an old toothbrush dipped in the detergent(for getting into the toe boxes) and a fingernail brush (for the wider area of the soles). Then I rinse them out with more warm water until there's no more lather, and shove a towel tight inside them to get as much water out as I can...then I take them up into the attic and hang them up to let them dry. usually takes a 15 mintues to wash them and a day to dry. after drying they're a little stiff, but they become flexible again with only a few minutes climbing.

I have been climbing regularly in both pairs of shoes since the summer of '03, and they have yet to start smelling, even a little.

lizard0fthetrail

Mar 8, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #13 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

To clean my shoes, I use the same dilution of simple green I use to clean holds at the gym. probably 1/10 or 1/8 or something, no specific amount...I'll soak them for 1-2 min, then scrub them with a stiff toothbrush inside and out until they're clean. I then scrub them under running warm water with the same brush, making sure to thoroughly rinse them. This has always yielded clean as new shoes and most of the time, they don't stink! (for me, that's a big deal, it's the only method I've tried that has worked for my filth) Hope this helps!

meridian

Mar 9, 2006, 4:45 AM
Post #14 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

What is simple green? I really need to get the funk out of my old shoes, I find it cruel and unusual punishment to remove them now unless I'm outside in a strong wind.

I wonder if a washing machine would do the trick as well, but I worry about the glue, any reccomendations on good sole glue?

kubi

Mar 9, 2006, 5:37 AM
Post #15 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I don't know why everyone makes this so complicated. Just throw them in the wash. Gets them just as clean (or cleaner) then any method listed, and takes no work at all.

getsomeethics

Mar 9, 2006, 6:05 AM
Post #16 of 18 (13663 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the stiffness is due to sweat and i find mine loosen up after you i start sweating in them again. never actually wsahed a pair of my shoes.

on cleaning the soles i use a rag and acetone. nasty stuff but it gets everything off, even the glue holding the rubber to the shoe so use it sparingly. pour some on the rag then apply to shoe. works great to prep the rubber if you need to glue back on a peeling rand as well.

mtben

May 1, 2011, 4:33 AM
Post #17 of 18 (12065 views)
Shortcut

Re: [getsomeethics] Best Way to Clean Climbing Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I have synthetic leather climbing shoes (anasazi verde's, Evolve optimus prime's) and I washed both pairs together in my top loader washing machine with great results. I put it on small load, delicate cycle, cold water, with two caps of bleach, and just a few drops of liquid detergent. I had great results after I let them air dry by my heating vent in my house. The rubber is super clean and tacky, and the smell is greatly reduced. None of the glue or material appears to have been affected. They feel nice and snug, but not shrunk. I would recommend this only for synthetic leather shoes, I think that washing any leather shoes will damage the leather to a degree.

djlachelt

May 1, 2011, 5:29 AM
Post #18 of 18 (12039 views)
Shortcut

Re: [mtben] Best Way to Clean Climbing Shoes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I've washed a pair of my (leather) Katanas in the washing machine (small amount of mild soap, delicate cycle, air dried). Worked fine and didn't notice any damage to the leather.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook