RSS FeedRSS Feeds for The Ladies' Room

Premier Sponsor:

kiwi_raven

Mar 18, 2006, 10:17 PM
Post #1 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Vegeterianism + teen female climber
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Hi there,

I've recently turned vegeterian for various reasons and I realise there are already threads about vegeterians and climbing but I wanted a womens perspective on it as I know we need more iron etc. So I'm 15 and climb, mountaineer and hike alot but am finding that being a vegeterian is really wearing me out, I'm really tired and pale and am not sleeping well. I was wondering if anyone could give me advice on things I can eat etc to replace iron properly? I would really liek to remian vegeterian and not have to start eating meat again.

Thanks,
Raven.

strongerthanyesterday

Mar 18, 2006, 10:51 PM
Post #2 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vegetarianism + teen female climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

i recommend heading to the doctor. when i had some of the same symptoms, my doc prescribed iron supplements for anemia. you don't have to start eating meat again, but it is (obviously) important to pay attention to nutrition.

aimeerose

Mar 18, 2006, 11:15 PM
Post #3 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Re: Vegeterianism + teen female climber [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Sounds like you are definately anemic and need some iron. In addition to going to the doc, make sure to eat lots of leafy greens, like kale. Also, make sure you take B12, if you are a vegan also. I was a veggie for 7 years and while I still agree with a lot of the moral reasons, I found that I was able to perform much better once I returned to eating some meat- mostly fish, free range turkey, elk and buffalo. I don't eat these meats very often, but I found I just ate too much junk when I was a veggie, but if you can do it, more power to you!

Partner macherry

Mar 19, 2006, 2:27 PM
Post #4 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

my daughter is 14 years old. She decided to be a vegetarian 2 1/2 years ago. It hasn't been easy to maintain a healthy diet, but it's something we work on daily. She does eat fish and dairy. I pretty much decide the menu. Our agreement is: if i cook vegetarian she eats it no matter what. I use a variety of cook books and balance out her nutritional needs. Above all consult your physician if you are feeling tired. You are only 15; do your parents do the cooking or are you responsible for your meal choices?

kiwi_raven

Mar 20, 2006, 6:53 AM
Post #5 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hi thanks for all your responses and help!

I'm not really responisble for what is being cooked but I've never really expressed an interest in cooking until now so I'm trying to coook meals for the family and just substitute the meat they're eating for something vegeterian. I've also started taking a iron supplement and eating lots of high iron foods now, the internet is so great for information these days, there's lots of info on food nutrition!

Thanks again for you help

-Raven

bgraham

Mar 20, 2006, 12:53 PM
Post #6 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i was a vegetarian for 3+years and then i became an ovo-vegetarian which means that not only did i cut out meat and poultry, i cut out dairy, however i do still eat eggs.
goveg.com is a great website and will get you a vegetarian starter kit which is awesome! if you are going to be a vegetraian you need to know your options and you need to embrace them. tofu grosses me out to be honest, but you can get other meat substitutes such as soy protein. you will find that once you understand what you are getting into and how much healthier going veg will make you, vegetarianism is easy!

thedus

Mar 20, 2006, 2:34 PM
Post #7 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not female, but I grew up a vegetarian, and, while I no longer am, much of what I cook could be considered vegetarian fare. I'm not an expert on the subject, but I am experienced.

I don't recommend concentrating on replacing meat solely from a flavor/texture standpoint. There is no meat substitute that contains the nutrition in meat, and to merely swap tofu (or whatever) for meat is a sure ticket to poor nutrition. That said, you can get what you need in a variety of other ways. Since you are concerned with iron, I recommend incorporating spinach and kale into your diet in as large of quantities as you can stand. Both are rich in iron, though it's less available in spinach (drizzling lemon juice over it helps with that). Including whole grains in your diet will make it much easier to get the B vitamins and amino acids you need, not to mention the many other benefits. If you're vegan, you're going to find it difficult to get enough B-12 and calcium and may need supplements.

The book Laurel's Kitchen, aside from being a good source of vegetarian recipes, also contains a great deal of very good information on nutrition in a vegetarian diet, including nutrition for athletes and for growing people. I highly recommend getting this book and reading it.

jt512

Mar 20, 2006, 4:08 PM
Post #8 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The book Laurel's Kitchen, aside from being a good source of vegetarian recipes, also contains a great deal of very good information on nutrition in a vegetarian diet, including nutrition for athletes and for growing people. I highly recommend getting this book and reading it.

I also recommend the book The Vegetarian Way by Messina and Messina, also with expert coverage of kids and athletes.

Jay

ecocliffchick

Mar 20, 2006, 4:27 PM
Post #9 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I became a vegetarian as a teen (and I'm a female climber). I don't know whether it's had a negative effect on my climbing, because I've been vegetarian for close to 12 years, and only climbing for eight of those. However, for most of those early years, I was eating alot of crap - essentially just starch, sugar, and fat. (cereal, pasta, perogies)

However, after changing my diet to follow 'the zone' I lost alot of bodyfat (10 - 15lbs, with no loss in lean muscle) and my climbing improved. Following a vegetarian zone diet is tricky, but it does make you a 'good vegetarian' - lots of fresh fruit and veggies, only whole grains, lots of protein, good fats - no sugar or white flour...

jt512

Mar 20, 2006, 5:00 PM
Post #10 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I became a vegetarian as a teen (and I'm a female climber). I don't know whether it's had a negative effect on my climbing, because I've been vegetarian for close to 12 years, and only climbing for eight of those. However, for most of those early years, I was eating alot of crap - essentially just starch, sugar, and fat. (cereal, pasta, perogies)

However, after changing my diet to follow 'the zone' I lost alot of bodyfat (10 - 15lbs, with no loss in lean muscle) and my climbing improved. Following a vegetarian zone diet is tricky, but it does make you a 'good vegetarian' - lots of fresh fruit and veggies, only whole grains, lots of protein, good fats - no sugar or white flour...

The quality of the food in the The Zone Diet is good, but was designed specifically as weight loss diet (no matter what the author may or may not contend), and as such, contains only about 900 kcal/day, which is why you lost weight. Therefore, if the original poster does not need to lose weight, then she should definitely not follow the Zone Diet.

Jay

climbingbetty22

Mar 20, 2006, 5:37 PM
Post #11 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Raven-
Your symptoms sound like you could be either eating too much "vegetarian" junk food or suffering from an anemia. You should definitely see a doctor and get some basic blood work.
Be careful of two things 1) If you are being a junk-food-a-train, then yeah, no wonder you feel like crap, you're just getting alot of empty calories with no nutritional value whatsoever. 2.) There are lots of different types of anemia. Anemia is not synomous with "iron-deficiency" though that is one of the more common reasons for women to develop anemia. Deficiencies of B9 (folic acid) as well as B12 (cobalamine) can also cause anemia. B12 deficiency if left untreated can result in neurological impairment. The problem with simply self-medicating is that if you take Folic Acid (B9) when you're problem is caused by a deficiency of B12, it will correct the anemia, but will not stop the progression of the neurological impairment.
So, PLEASE go see your doctor and have a physical exam and some basic blood work done (Your doctor should know of your dietary choice anyway). He or she will be able to tell from the size and shape of your red blood cell what type of anemia you have. If you have a B9 or B12 deficiency, they should do further testing to figure out which one is the deficient one.
In the meantime, consider taking a good quality multi-vitamin with Iron (though you should also discuss this with your doctor, He or she may want to ask some questions about your family history to make sure you don't have an inherited disorder that can cause excessive iron storage) and begin reading alot more about a healthy vegetarian diet, which includes LOTS of fresh FRUITS AND VEGETABLES! If you are a vegetarian, dark, leafy green vegetables are your best friends because they have lots of necessary vitamins and minerals in them. But the key is to eat a variety of foods and minimize junk food! Good luck, and as a fellow vegetarian, congrats on your choice to be meat-free!

alexis_86

Mar 21, 2006, 3:45 AM
Post #12 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey Raven, glad you made the desicion to become vegetarian. I was an ovo-vegetarian about a couple of years ago. It didn't quite work out very well, I ate too much junk but I was still alot healthier than most people at school. If you're a strict vegetarian, I'd second what someone said about B-12, its important and can cause anemia-like symptoms when you don't get enough of it. But the most important part is to eat a very wide variety of whole foods, grains, veggies, fruits. It's something you'll find echoed again and again in vegetarian literature. Have you tried this grain called Quinoa(Keen-wah)? It's supposed to be high in iron and a bunch of other stuff. A good multi vitamin would really help too. Doing lots of reading on the internet would really help too. Good luck with your desicion to make this lifestyle change. :D

clee03m

Mar 21, 2006, 2:31 PM
Post #13 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My parents are vegans, so I grew up without meat. I think that if you eat a balanced diet, it shouldn't be a problem. But my parents are very conscious about eating enough fat (nuts, avocado, olive and canola oil), protein (legumes, tofu), iron, and calcium. Overall, they are very healthy. They also take B12 supplements. My dad is very active in his 60's and he hasn't slowed down, yet. Good luck with your vegetarian adventure, and make sure you eat a balanced diet. Check out Loma Linda food pyramid if you are interested.

kiwi_raven

Apr 10, 2006, 9:00 AM
Post #14 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey guys,

Thanks so much for the responses. I've got things pretty much sorted out now and I'm loving being a vegie! I have alot more energy. So yea just a quick note to say thanks,

Raven.

mr-pink
Deleted

Apr 10, 2006, 11:03 AM
Post #15 of 15 (1676 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I have alot more energy.
I wish I have more energy :D

Forums : Community : The Ladies' Room

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook