Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

mtikusis

Mar 22, 2006, 4:52 PM
Post #26 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Re: What type of chalk do I need? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I personally like Super Chalk by Metolius or Revolution Chalk. I have tried Bison Chalk and that was awful. It was similar to putting on a pair of silk mittens and then trying to climb.

Partner epoch

Mar 22, 2006, 4:57 PM
Post #27 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (1 rating)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Unless you have very sweaty hands or the route is wet, it is totally a head game. Almost like Linus's blanket. Climbing chalk is for the more insecure climbers. I've watched so many climbers dipping in to their chalk bags as a habit. Some even dip two or three times before even moving an inch. I've only used my chalk a couple of times over the years. Over-rated.

jammer

Get off the slabs!!!!! :D

In reply to:

Yes, I've never used an ecco ball myself as I have a refillable but use the term for both as the local gym prefers ecco balls as that is what the owner used but he still allows refillable chalk balls. I never actually looked at what is used in one of those so now i will have to do some research.

Leave the gym, and STFU already.

Partner packclimber

Mar 22, 2006, 5:11 PM
Post #28 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

There are three types loose chalk bought that way or in block form. Chalk balls some of which are refillable. And my favorite eco chalk. I prefer the Eco 1 Because it doesn't leave white marks all over the place. 2 It works better.
There is also colored chalk which is good too providing it matches the rock color.

Partner jammer

Mar 22, 2006, 5:13 PM
Post #29 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Get off the slabs!!!!! :D

OK, I'll take the BS for climbing in the south where it was nice and warm during the months you were freezing you ass off in Maine. :mrgreen:

It's cool ... but don't forget, there are a lot of nice verticals and cracks in New Hampshire ... and them's the best! 8^)

tnwagener

Mar 22, 2006, 6:54 PM
Post #30 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

jda, what bug crawled up your ass and died. I'm trying to help and people like you discourage others from joining your sport. And a little note, I've only spent this winter in the Gym, previous to this i have spent 2 years climbing and bouldering outside. If some people weren't as arrogant as yourself and were a little more helpful this sport might get a lot more good exposure as well as a lot more enthusiastic people to join. remember, you were a noob too once so maybe you should be the one to shut up and maybe think twice before you open you mouth to insult someone who is asking for some help. This forum is designed specifically for new people so either help or get out of this forum and into one that is more of what you are looking for.

goob3r

Mar 22, 2006, 8:24 PM
Post #31 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
jda, what bug crawled up your ass and died. I'm trying to help and people like you discourage others from joining your sport. And a little note, I've only spent this winter in the Gym, previous to this i have spent 2 years climbing and bouldering outside. If some people weren't as arrogant as yourself and were a little more helpful this sport might get a lot more good exposure as well as a lot more enthusiastic people to join. remember, you were a noob too once so maybe you should be the one to shut up and maybe think twice before you open you mouth to insult someone who is asking for some help. This forum is designed specifically for new people so either help or get out of this forum and into one that is more of what you are looking for.

http://img139.exs.cx/...08/evilmonkey2rd.jpg

STFU n00b3r :nono:

Partner jammer

Mar 22, 2006, 8:38 PM
Post #32 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

^^^ Now, now children! Can't you just get along? He is actually correct about what to post where. May I suggest community for those who are looking for a challange ...

mikej

Mar 22, 2006, 9:54 PM
Post #33 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I distinctly remember a warning when I signed up to search the forum before posting or be reamed by the "unnOOBs" and that if i still asked the question i would suffer the consequences (usually funny) :lol: . I'm for educating the nOOB and all, but sometimes it just doesn't work that way. Some of these, non thread searching, non spell checkers, will end up smashing their head on a rock or placing a cam totally backwards, or not realize they actually need to clip in to stay alive and the thwarting of such people from a dangerous sport may not be such a bad idea after all. I love bringing new people climbing, but then again, not everyone should be a climber. Just think of all the tick marks and garbage there would be! Ugg.

goob3r

Mar 22, 2006, 10:36 PM
Post #34 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I just get a kick out of surfing google images for STFU stuff.. this place makes too prac ap for that hobby

bastien

Mar 22, 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #35 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Some of these, non thread searching, non spell checkers, will end up smashing their head on a rock or placing a cam totally backwards, or not realize they actually need to clip in to stay alive and the thwarting of such people from a dangerous sport may not be such a bad idea after all.

How the freck does not using spell check associate someone with forgetting to clip? I'm fairly sure my inability to spell 'chrysanthemum' doesn't make me or anyone else more liable to deck.

Jesus guys, maybe there should be a limited amount of people that can respond to the beginner threads so that dickheads wont feel the need to pipe up and be assholes and new people might feel welcome. Don't get me wrong; he shoulda used the search function, but a simple nudge in that direction would have helped, instead of that immature bullshit some of you are spouting off.

Grow the hell up. And kudos to those who respond with a bit of intelligence.

rocketsocks

Mar 23, 2006, 5:49 AM
Post #36 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I just get a kick out of surfing google images for STFU stuff.. this place makes too prac ap for that hobby

Reminds me of this avatar image I created a while back:
http://forums.dualboot.net/...&dateline=1143092905

mikej

Mar 23, 2006, 3:28 PM
Post #37 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
How the freck does not using spell check associate someone with forgetting to clip? I'm fairly sure my inability to spell 'chrysanthemum' doesn't make me or anyone else more liable to deck.

easy sparky, I'm not about anyone who can't spell, but to anyone who can't/doesn't read instructions or take instruction. Usually if someone doesn't pay attention (i don't mean a.d.d.), it's not limited to one facet of life and that = dangerous in this sport. It doesn't seem like you read the disclaimer either :? otherwise you probably wouldn't be so pissed off. Hey guys, do you ever feel like you're, well... :deadhorse: with angry nOObs not readin stuff?

bastien

Mar 23, 2006, 5:52 PM
Post #38 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No, I read the disclaimer, and as stated before, I still don't think that should lead you or anyone else to treat someone like shit on these or any other forums. Would you treat someone like that in real life? If I asked you at the gym if you thought there was a difference in chalk, or what the best kind of shoes to get, or anything else that you think would be easily answered with a bit of internet searching, would you give me a smart ass answer to my face? Or do you just have e-balls when you're confronted face to face with a live human being?

Frankly, I expect that kind of pre-pubescent answer from an angry-at-life 14 year old posting on newgrounds.com. What I expect out of someone who engages in a sport like this that demands discipline and intelligence is the same answer that you would give to someone who was standing toe to toe with you, 'n00b' or not. I expect you to answer me like an adult. If you can't do that, maybe you should limit your answers to forums other than the 'beginners' forums, and leave this one to people who have a little integrity. I guess what I'm saying is if you're tired of answering 'n00b' questions, maybe you should STFU and not answer them.

mikej

Mar 23, 2006, 6:24 PM
Post #39 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hmm. Toe to toe eh? If you came to me in a normal gym setting and asked me, I'd answer whatever you needed. If the answers were plastered on the wall in millions of places and someone told you to read the walls before asking, I probably would give you some smart answer. I'm sorry if you think that's immature. No, actually I'm not sorry at all. In fact i hope you get violated by pig monkey men in the woods. Angry at life 14 year old? Maybe you should do a little self evaluation and read your own posts. For me, this conversation is over before this :deadhorse: turns into this :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse: :deadhorse:

bastien

Mar 23, 2006, 8:41 PM
Post #40 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
For me, this conversation is over

Fine, then let these be the last words we trade on this conversation...

In reply to:
If the answers were plastered on the wall in millions of places and someone told you to read the walls before asking, I probably would give you some smart answer.

I'll bet you a dollar you wouldn't, but I guess we'll never find out, will we?

In reply to:
Angry at life 14 year old? Maybe you should do a little self evaluation and read your own posts.

I'm angry at you for being a dick to new people. I'm not picking on new people to make me feel better about myself.

In reply to:
I'm sorry if you think that's immature. No, actually I'm not sorry at all. In fact i hope you get violated by pig monkey men in the woods.

We'll, I guess that says it all for you, now doesn't it?

raymondjeffrey

Mar 23, 2006, 9:45 PM
Post #41 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

We should all just ask Grover, he has the best responses to posts' of this nature.

Carry On,

Jefro

roshiaitareya

Mar 23, 2006, 11:06 PM
Post #42 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
If the average rc.comer did as you suggested it would eliminate 90+% of the posts, probably 99% of the useless posts and rc.com could be a usefull place to hang out. Oh what a wonderful world that would be. But first the average rc.comer would have to have a measurable IQ.

But it wouldn't be any fun anymore.

In reply to:
I'm fairly sure my inability to spell 'chrysanthemum' doesn't make me or anyone else more liable to deck.

Yeah, but how many times are you going to be talking about flowers in one of your posts? It's the whole mindset of the thing, if you're too lazy to click the button under the post window, then what makes anyone think you're not too lazy to learn to set a cam right? Or anything else climbing related for that matter (besides stopping mid route to pick a chrysanthemum)?

bastien

Mar 24, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #43 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
It's the whole mindset of the thing, if you're too lazy to click the button under the post window, then what makes anyone think you're not too lazy to learn to set a cam right?

Well, my life doesn't depend on whether on not I've used a search function, for one. And maybe I'd like to pick flowers on the way up.... :)

311unity

Mar 24, 2006, 3:33 AM
Post #44 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

dont use chalk. its alll in ur mind but there is some times u need it. so idk, i gusse im saying dont over use chalk.

blitzkrieg_climber13

Mar 24, 2006, 3:39 AM
Post #45 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

get the white stuff that makes your eyes burn when it gets in them. that stuff works really well. also the kind you see rednecks sniffing. i heard that stuff makes you climb so hard.

mikej

Mar 24, 2006, 3:13 PM
Post #46 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I've heard plenty of people say that using chalk is purely mental, so, here's a little story.
After coming back from a PBB several years ago, we'd just arrived back at a buddy's house and were examining our cheaply gotten booty. Much of it was some great 2nds from voodoo. One of the slopers was especially bad. It was shallow and very sloped. We tried to pick it up from the ground without using the edges. None of us could do it. Tried different angles and fingers we'd grip it by, but nothing worked. Finally someone grabs some superchalk, dips his fingers in and picks up the hold the first try. We all tried with chalk...no problem. Also, last night i was working on my rock rings hanging from the back porch doing open handed pull ups on the . After a while, i was having trouble sticking, the holds were getting sweaty. I got some chalk... worked just fine and continued. If you're on climbs 5.9 and under in cool conditions, chalk is probably not doing too much, but get to Arizona on any of our rock, almost any time of the year and chalk and a toothbrush will be your best friend.
And thats why I believe in chalk.
The End

veganboyjosh

Mar 24, 2006, 3:37 PM
Post #47 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
We should all just ask Grover, he has the best responses to posts' of this nature.

Carry On,

Jefro

http://images.usatoday.com/...07/inside-grover.jpg

there's a monster at the end of this thread.

ninja_climber

Mar 24, 2006, 5:19 PM
Post #48 of 48 (5833 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The white kind....

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Information : Beginners

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook