RSS FeedRSS Feeds for General

Premier Sponsor:

up_for_a_good_time

Mar 28, 2006, 3:24 AM
Post #1 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

30 Days of Adventure
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

So, I graduate from college in late May and get 30 days of leave before I rejoin the "real world". My question is: if you had roughly 30 days to do nearly anything you wanted, what would you do and where would you go?
The trip should be at least outdoor-related and preferably climbing-related as well. Obviously, money has somewhat of a restricting characteristic, but say it wasn't. I was thinking maybe Yosemite, New Zealand, Australia, Greece, etc.. Any suggestions?

napoleon_in_rags

Mar 28, 2006, 3:26 AM
Post #2 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Re: 30 Days of Leave [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Are you in the Navy???

nightlion

Mar 28, 2006, 5:17 AM
Post #3 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Re: 30 Days of Adventure [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

two weeks traveling around western U.S. then off to new zealand where i might never come back from.

leapinlizard

Mar 28, 2006, 6:28 AM
Post #4 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

30 days is just about long enough to spend traveling the west coast of the US. It isn't long enough to go anywhere though. I mean technically you would have enough time to go to Thailand and do some diving and dome climbing, but if it were me I would cram in the west coast so that I could get as much bang for my time as I could.

nedsurf

Mar 28, 2006, 7:40 AM
Post #5 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, road trip the US. If you ever get out of nap town to head up the road to the local crags before May, give me a PM. I might have already climbed with someone you know who shipped off to flight school recently.

up_for_a_good_time

Mar 28, 2006, 3:04 PM
Post #6 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I'm in the Navy and going to school in Annapolis. After those 30 days I'll be in Norfolk, VA. A month isn't enough to travel internationally and climb? You sure?

overlord

Mar 28, 2006, 3:46 PM
Post #7 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

depends on what you want to do.

id suggest against going to NZ and australia at this time of the year. its winter there. the same goes for greece (believe me, its hot like hell) and most other southern and low altitude european crags.

what id reccomend is alps, dolomites and such. visit spain, france, switzerland, germany, austria, italy, slovenia. you CAN do all of that in 30 days, but id suggest focusing on just two or three countries. france/switzerland/n italy would be kinda perfect.

that would be europe. as for usa, ill let others make the suggestions.

up_for_a_good_time

Mar 28, 2006, 8:05 PM
Post #8 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd be up to climb all kinds of disciplines, but I haven't the slightest idea how tough it'd be to find a partner in another country. I'd really be up for anything. I hear Spain has some sweet crags.

Might sound stupid, but are there many places similar to Joshua Tree where a partner is always readily available?
Anyone have much experience travelling and climbing for long periods alone?

napoleon_in_rags

Mar 29, 2006, 1:33 AM
Post #9 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yeah, I'm in the Navy and going to school in Annapolis. After those 30 days I'll be in Norfolk, VA. A month isn't enough to travel internationally and climb? You sure?

I could tell you were in the Military when you said "Leave" not "Vacation". I always tell my civilian friends that the best thing about the military is the thirty days paid vacation s year. I usually head to the West Coast and spend a few weeks being a climbing bum and letting my hair and beard grow out. My advice is go West Coast but don't be too driven. Really enjoy each location you go to.

Your life will be hectic enough when your new CPO decides to break in his/her new Ensign.

-MST1 Pete Gollnick (USCG)

By the way, check out Virginia Beach Rock Gym when you get to Norfolk. Use it to keep in shape when in between cruises.

leapinlizard

Mar 29, 2006, 1:54 AM
Post #10 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

You are probably right, it would be enough time, i guess when I leave the US I just like to leave for longer. I like to bum from town to town exploring little nook and cranny places, yet still get the big places in too, that is why I said that he could prob get the most in here in the US. If you do decide on Thailand be sure to spend at least 2 days in Bangkok seeing the sights, such as reclining Buddha and standing Buddha, Khao San Road is one of my favorite places to stay although its a little hectic sometimes ( It has metamorphisized over the last 6 years). Of course if I offer climbing advice it would be pointless since there is so much info here on the web, but down near Phuket and Krabi there is spectacular limestone climbing and world class diving. If you can manage the funds to travel a bit more while over there, hit up Ko Panang for the Full Moon Party ( and don't burn yourself jumping through the hoop of fire and the Sunrise bar. heh heh. Good luck and have fun..

whatsupdoc

Mar 29, 2006, 2:44 AM
Post #11 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
id suggest against going to NZ and australia at this time of the year. its winter there. the same goes for greece (believe me, its hot like hell) and most other southern and low altitude european crags.

what id reccomend is alps, dolomites and such. visit spain, france, switzerland, germany, austria, italy, slovenia. you CAN do all of that in 30 days, but id suggest focusing on just two or three countries. france/switzerland/n italy would be kinda perfect.

Listen to this man.

smoothicity

Mar 29, 2006, 8:35 PM
Post #12 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

30 days, eh....with little to no regard for money. Besides the red light district, I would say find a partner and head to Thailand or maybe Yosemite. Wow, that must be nice. I bet Thailand's kick ass. MMmm...Thai climbing chicks.

yokese

Mar 29, 2006, 8:50 PM
Post #13 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

30 days!! :shock:
I'd go to New Zealand, no doubt (even in winter, think about ice climbing there)...
You can always go to Yosemite, Zion, JTree, etc in shorter trips in the future (I have visited several of the National Parks in CA, UT, NV and AZ just using my "regular" vacations). However, it wouldn't be worthy to go to New Zealand to spend only 1 week or so.... Well, I may be biased, going to New Zealand is my dreamed trip for quite some time. So many things to do there.... -> insert here an envy emoticon <-

whatsupdoc

Mar 29, 2006, 9:47 PM
Post #14 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
30 days, eh....with little to no regard for money. Besides the red light district, I would say find a partner and head to Thailand or maybe Yosemite. Wow, that must be nice. I bet Thailand's kick ass. MMmm...Thai climbing chicks.

Thailand in late May/June. Way too hot in my opinion, especially for climbing.

Again, I'd steer away from New Zealand that time of year unless you're into skiing/snowboarding, which would be great. It's tourist low season but it's winter. I don't know what the ice climbing is like there, but all of the mountains and alpine routes would be pretty damn stout in winter conditions. I've been there in the fall and it was starting to get pretty cool, especially around the alpine areas of the South Island, which were some of my favorite parts.

Australia that time of year would be very nice. It might get a bit chilly down south but Queensland should be perfect then and there's definitely climbing there.

Some of the Aussies on this site would have more info on what the weather is like down south that time of year in Arapiles, etc. I'm not sure if it would be cold there.

up_for_a_good_time

Apr 4, 2006, 4:50 AM
Post #15 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, I've been looking into taking another National Outdoor Leadership School (NOLS) course. The Denali Mountaineering one, in particular lines up quite nicely with my leave dates. Even though it's a bit different than climbing in Thailand or Spain, I think it would be a sweet way to spend a month away.

Does anyone have any experience with the Muldrow Glacier route of Denali? That's the route the course intends on ascending. Additionally, has anyone been on this particular NOLS course or on Denali lately?

smoothicity

Apr 7, 2006, 3:44 AM
Post #16 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Denali, huh. I had a buddy who took an Alaskan NOLS course, but I don't recall them going for Denali. The Muldrow Glacier route goes up to the lower summit of the two Denali peaks. Just, fyi...
Whatsupdoc sounds like he knows those areas pretty well. If you don't go to Alaska, maybe Australia is the answer. I saw you hit Seneca and the New on occassion. Thirty days between those two could be a killer good time. Peace.

up_for_a_good_time

Apr 7, 2006, 7:03 PM
Post #17 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, I'm going to try to get to the New for the rendevous and to Seneca for the Cinco (plus one) de Mayo bash, though. Otherwise, that'd definitely be a possibility.

Jonathan

guanoboy

Apr 7, 2006, 8:00 PM
Post #18 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

30 days in May - i've done that

Days 2-4 - Hike a 14er in the Rockies
Days 5-9 - Moab
Days 10-11 - zion
Days 12-13 - vegas
Days 14-20 - Yosemite
Days 21-25 - Tetons
Days 26-27 - Devils tower (not in june though)

have fun

up_for_a_good_time

Apr 18, 2006, 4:09 AM
Post #19 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Any more suggestions on what to do with 30 days of freedom and no financial limitations (within reason)?

up_for_a_good_time

May 1, 2006, 6:53 PM
Post #20 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Bump. Anyone want to partner-up for a week or two climbing in Europe starting the after the 14th of June?

mtnkid85

May 5, 2006, 4:02 AM
Post #21 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Im planning a ~month long trip up to Canada. Plan on craming in as much climbing, biking, kayaking, and backpacking as very possible!

crotch

May 5, 2006, 5:31 AM
Post #22 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd head to the Cirque of the Unclimables and sit in a tent for 30 days.

mtman

May 5, 2006, 6:07 AM
Post #23 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

for all the people that are saying NZ, as i am living there right now winter, which is coming fast, would be ok but the crags get rain and snow, so it is not the ideal time to be in NZ, if you are going to head to NZ i would recommend spring or fall. then the temps are good and the masses of tourists are not as bad. also you can get a car for really cheep and then you have the freedom to drive all over. and it is pretty easy to find partners if you are just friendly and go to castle hill and talk to some other climbers. there are some sweet hiking opportunities here as well and i am not talking about the "great walks" with there flush toilets and trails as wide as side walks. but i would have to recommend more than 30 days, but you still can do a lot of stuff in 30 days so don't let that stop you, just don't try and see everything (just stick to the south island) for you would just be traveling most of the time, waisting time you could be spent climbing.

good luck with you 30 days where ever you go

mtman

up_for_a_good_time

Oct 15, 2006, 12:52 PM
Post #24 of 24 (2972 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

So, just to throw it out there and update the 30 Days thread...

I had planned to start in Germany with the Pfalx gathering in early June, but as my Rammstein-bound plane broke for the third time (12 hours) I decided to take the next available flight. That ended up being to Rota, Spain. I had no knowledge of any climbing in Spain, but did have all my climbing/camping gear in my 5,300 cubic inch Osprey pack and was ready to roll.

I went from Rota to Cadiz to Tarifa. Outside Tarifa there was supposed to be some climbing to the west right off the road. Never made it. Instead, I randomly ran into two girls I'd gone to college with and accompanied them to Morocco...without any climbing gear. A few days in Morocco and back I was to Tarifa. I'd met two Brazilian girls whose company I came to enjoy and hang around with them and two Aussies for another couple days in Tarifa. Coincidentally, the Brazilians were headed to Malaga where the famous El Churro crags are located. We "wasted" so much time in transit that I hadn't any more to scope out El Churro before I had to get back to Rota for my flight.

Of course, going back and, ironically, sleeping at a gas station overnight, we ran out of gas the next day. Eventually, I got back still accompanied by the two girls I'd graduated with. We all returned home safely, but the 60 pounds of trad climbing and camping gear I'd been walking around Spain with was used only on four ocassions (for camping and cooking....I never touched a rock).

All in all, an awesome trip. But a climbing trip it was not. Maybe next year my plane will make it to the Pfalz climbing festival.

Forums : Climbing Information : General

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook