Mar 29, 2006, 6:20 PM
Post #76 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Re: Islam, the religion of peace... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I do not believe in UFOs, as you most likely do not either, does that mean we believe in the same thing, no UFOs

That's interesting because (to me, at least) it underscores how a negative value (what we deny) can itself become a sort of belief, with folks attached to the verity of their position (for example--God does not exist) as being "correct." Seems like the flip side of fundamentalism, with folks out there actively asserting their atheism with ecumenical resolve.

My sense of all this is that if you ever hope to experience anything transcendent (greater than yourself) you have to let go of most everything you believe in and don't believe in and wait till the void is filled by something (for lack of another word) beyond your own thoughts and memories. Just because you haven't struggled with the letting go process doesn't mean there isn't more out there to experience, some of which requires no belief structure whatsoever.

JL
I would never consider atheism a negative value, most certainly not by your definition of negative. I do not deny god, I know it does not exist, there is a big difference. Denying implies turning your back on, not agreeing with, while in fact I do agree with 99% of the moral teachings of the bible.

vivalargo

Mar 29, 2006, 8:13 PM
Post #77 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jred"] I do not deny god, I know it does not exist.quote]

How do you "know" that??

JL

kubi

Mar 29, 2006, 8:50 PM
Post #78 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
My sense of all this is that if you ever hope to experience anything transcendent (greater than yourself) you have to let go of most everything you believe in and don't believe in and wait till the void is filled by something (for lack of another word) beyond your own thoughts and memories.

or just smoke some DMT.

jred

Mar 29, 2006, 9:48 PM
Post #79 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="vivalargo"]
In reply to:
I do not deny god, I know it does not exist.quote]

How do you "know" that??

JL
I just do. How do you know what you believe to be true? I suspect your answer will be the same.

vivalargo

Mar 29, 2006, 10:01 PM
Post #80 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jred"]
In reply to:
In reply to:

How do you "know" that??

JL
I just do. How do you know what you believe to be true? I suspect your answer will be the same.

"I just do" is simply another version of "Because I said so." "I just don't know," would likely be a more accurate answer given what your experience has so far provided you.

My sense of this is that when someone cannot reason out "God," or when he or she can find no immediate evidence of a "thing" purported to be God as defined by various religious texts, many people conclude God is therefore a fiction or merely an idea which they "know" is bogus. The reason this is a perspective working from ignorance is that the person has never really taken the question seriously, and has either gone down the standard paths and found nothing, or has never got jiggy with the idea that the lack of evidence doesn't necessarily mean there is nothing there, rather that the person is not searching in the right way on in the right place–and can't be bothered in any event given his current perspective.

Another way to look at this is to consider your consciousness as being a borderless circle, infinite in scope. There are two very small slivers in this circle. The first is what you know you know: You know English, how to tie a figure eight, how to pump gas, etc. The other sliver is what you know you don't know: You know you don't know how to write Aramaic, or to fly, or to perform open heat surgery. The rest of the circle consists of what you don't know that you don't know. That's where you'll find God.

Wanna go there? Fair enough–you just have to leave behind what you know that you know and what you know that you don't know.

It's the first star on the left, then on till forever . . .

JL

Partner philbox

Mar 29, 2006, 10:45 PM
Post #81 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trophy for John. Mate, that was brilliant.

http://oz.irtc.org/...996-06-30/trophy.jpg

jred

Mar 29, 2006, 10:50 PM
Post #82 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="vivalargo"]
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

How do you "know" that??

JL

"I just do" is simply another version of "Because I said so." "I just don't know," would likely be a more accurate answer given what your experience has so far provided you.

My sense of this is that when someone cannot reason out "God," or when he or she can find no immediate evidence of a "thing" purported to be God as defined by various religious texts, many people conclude God is therefore a fiction or merely an idea which they "know" is bogus. The reason this is a perspective working from ignorance is that the person has never really taken the question seriously, and has either gone down the standard paths and found nothing, or has never got jiggy with the idea that the lack of evidence doesn't necessarily mean there is nothing there, rather that the person is not searching in the right way on in the right place–and can't be bothered in any event given his current perspective.

Another way to look at this is to consider your consciousness as being a borderless circle, infinite in scope. There are two very small slivers in this circle. The first is what you know you know: You know English, how to tie a figure eight, how to pump gas, etc. The other sliver is what you know you don't know: You know you don't know how to write Aramaic, or to fly, or to perform open heat surgery. The rest of the circle consists of what you don't know that you don't know. That's where you'll find God.

Wanna go there? Fair enough–you just have to leave behind what you know that you know and what you know that you don't know.

JL
No, the reason I said "I just do" was because I anticipated your judgmental, preachy rant, and was not interested in a debate about faith and how I am wrong. I was not saying "because I say so" that would imply some sort of self-righteousness, I could care less about what people believe in, and would appreciate the same from others.
So I am ignorant because I do not think like you? I could say the same thing about your "faith" but would not do so out of respect. I am curious how you "reason" god. You said, "The lack of evidence does not always mean nothing is there", I agree with that statement, but the lack of evidence most certainly does not mean there IS something there.
Is the only reason you are on the path of righteousness because it leads to eternal paradise?
I have made a response to a similar question on the thread about Dostoevsky and God. I have also described how I have never found religion/god necessary to be a good person.

jumpingrock

Mar 29, 2006, 10:58 PM
Post #83 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
I do not deny god, I know it does not exist.

How do you "know" that??

JL

JL

In that circle is where you will also not find god. By the same logic reversed.

reno

Mar 29, 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #84 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Decartes offered his belief in God thusly:

Doubt implies uncertainty. Uncertainty implies imperfection. But if there is imperfection, then that implies there must be something perfect. That perfectness is what he inferred to be God.

Rene Decartes... quite probably the greatest thinker ever, and one who influenced more rational thought than most people, still believed in God (in fact, his "Discourse on the Method" was edited and revised several times for fear that he'd offend his Church.)

styndall

Mar 30, 2006, 12:22 AM
Post #85 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Doubt implies uncertainty. Uncertainty implies imperfection. But if there is imperfection, then that implies there must be something perfect. That perfectness is what he inferred to be God.

Rene Decartes... quite probably the greatest thinker ever, and one who influenced more rational thought than most people, still believed in God (in fact, his "Discourse on the Method" was edited and revised several times for fear that he'd offend his Church.)

His error is in thinking that the existence of a thing implies the existence of its opposite.

I have seen a donut. Does that mean I can infer the existence of an anti-donut? What would that even mean?

reno

Mar 30, 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #86 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

His error is in thinking that the existence of a thing implies the existence of its opposite.

Not really.... if you can lable something as imperfect, then that means there must be something "perfect," else the first thing would not be imperfect.

In reply to:
I have seen a donut. Does that mean I can infer the existence of an anti-donut?

Depends... was it a perfect donut? ;)

organic

Mar 30, 2006, 12:33 AM
Post #87 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you do not believe in something are you not imply it exists in some way or could possibly exist?

Maybe saying I do not have enough information to say whether there is a God or not is the best answer for an atheist??

Partner philbox

Mar 30, 2006, 12:39 AM
Post #88 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Nope, you can however infer the existence of a hole. :wink:

styndall

Mar 30, 2006, 12:50 AM
Post #89 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Not really.... if you can lable something as imperfect, then that means there must be something "perfect," else the first thing would not be imperfect.

This is not the case. I can say "this is not a list of all possible infinitely long binary strings," and be right, since such a thing cannot exist (see Godel's Incompleteness Theorem for explanation).

In a more apropos example, modern physics suggests that all matter and space come in discreet units of length called Planck lengths. Thus, the statement "This is not a perfect sphere" is correct for everything in the universe. A perfect sphere, defined as the infinite set of points equidistant from a particular spot in three-dimensional space, cannot exist because the unit of building material for the universe is discreet. Thus, the existence of an imperfect specimen does not imply the existence in reality of a perfect specimen. This example is particularly telling because we can conceive of a perfect sphere without trouble. Such a thing, however, is necessarily imaginary. Sic deo est.

In reply to:
In reply to:

Depends... was it a perfect donut? ;)

Every donut is a perfect donut.

thegreytradster

Mar 30, 2006, 12:59 AM
Post #90 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
was because I anticipated your judgmental, preachy rant,

What was judgemental or rant like in Johns post?

It's fascinating that so many that propose a "godless" (lots of ways to define that) universe are so militant. If they really believed thieir view I'd suspect they'd care less about the opposing view and just chalk it up to superstition and leave it at that. The militancy makes sense only in terms of lingering doubt.

Phil hit it!

In reply to:
styndall wrote:

Nope, you can however infer the existence of a hole.

vivalargo

Mar 30, 2006, 1:20 AM
Post #91 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="jred"][quote="vivalargo"]
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

How do you "know" that??

JL

JL
No, the reason I said "I just do" was because I anticipated your judgmental, preachy rant, and was not interested in a debate about faith and how I am wrong.

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT FAITH OR BELIEFS? NEITHER HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I WAS DRIVING AT.

I was not saying "because I say so" that would imply some sort of self-righteousness, I could care less about what people believe in, and would appreciate the same from others.
So I am ignorant because I do not think like you?

WHAT DOES THINKING HAVE TO DO WITH IT?? I SAID SPECIFICALLY THAT YOU HAD TO LEAVE BEHIND YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW AND THINK YOU DON'T KNOW--OR WHAT YOU THINK IS UNKNOWABLE FOR THAT MATTER.

I could say the same thing about your "faith" but would not do so out of respect.

AGAIN, FAITH WAS NEITHER MENTIONED NOR IS IT REQUIRED.

I am curious how you "reason" god.

YOU "REASON' GOD BY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THAT WORD MEANS--USUALLY BY SCRUBBING THROUGH SECOND-HAND KNOWLEDGE CRIBBED FROM DOCTRINE, THEN REFUTING IT AS RIDICULOUS OR MADE UP. DOCTRINE IS NOT REQUIRED.

You said, "The lack of evidence does not always mean nothing is there", I agree with that statement, but the lack of evidence most certainly does not mean there IS something there.

INDEED IT DOES NOT. BUT IF YOU MOVE OUTSIDE THOSE TWO SLIVERS I MENTIONED YOU MIGHT FIND SOME YOUR EVIDENCE.

Is the only reason you are on the path of righteousness because it leads to eternal paradise? I have made a response to a similar question on the thread about Dostoevsky and God. I have also described how I have never found religion/god necessary to be a good person.

MY FEEL OF THIS IS THAT YOU ARE NOT REALLY RAILING AGAINST WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID SO MUCH AS DISPUTING WHAT MOST RELIGIONS SAY--AND ON THAT POINT I WOULD LIKELY AGREE WITH YOU.

AIN'T IT FUN . . .

jl

jred

Mar 30, 2006, 1:23 AM
Post #92 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
was because I anticipated your judgmental, preachy rant,

What was judgemental or rant like in Johns post?

It's fascinating that so many that propose a "godless" (lots of ways to define that) universe are so militant. If they really believed thieir view I'd suspect they'd care less about the opposing view and just chalk it up to superstition and leave it at that. The militancy makes sense only in terms of lingering doubt.

Phil hit it!

In reply to:
styndall wrote:

Nope, you can however infer the existence of a hole.
I am militant am I? Who called who ignorant? What group of people attacks what group people?
It is funny how it always comes to "lingering doubt" when describing atheism, could it not be that I truly believe there is no god? I was raised that way.
Why are you threatened by me? My non-belief is in no way threatening to you, or perhaps you are trying to save my soul out of concern for me. Anyway I would love to stay and talk but I have to go sacrifice a virgin on my flaming alter of atheistic syphilis.

jred

Mar 30, 2006, 1:41 AM
Post #93 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

[quote="vivalargo"][quote="jred"]
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

How do you "know" that??

JL

JL
No, the reason I said "I just do" was because I anticipated your judgmental, preachy rant, and was not interested in a debate about faith and how I am wrong.

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT FAITH OR BELIEFS? NEITHER HAS ANYTHING TO DO WITH WHAT I WAS DRIVING AT.

I was not saying "because I say so" that would imply some sort of self-righteousness, I could care less about what people believe in, and would appreciate the same from others.
So I am ignorant because I do not think like you?

WHAT DOES THINKING HAVE TO DO WITH IT?? I SAID SPECIFICALLY THAT YOU HAD TO LEAVE BEHIND YOUR THOUGHTS ABOUT WHAT YOU KNOW AND THINK YOU DON'T KNOW--OR WHAT YOU THINK IS UNKNOWABLE FOR THAT MATTER.

I could say the same thing about your "faith" but would not do so out of respect.

AGAIN, FAITH WAS NEITHER MENTIONED NOR IS IT REQUIRED.

I am curious how you "reason" god.

YOU "REASON' GOD BY TRYING TO FIGURE OUT WHAT THAT WORD MEANS--USUALLY BY SCRUBBING THROUGH SECOND-HAND KNOWLEDGE CRIBBED FROM DOCTRINE, THEN REFUTING IT AS RIDICULOUS OR MADE UP. DOCTRINE IS NOT REQUIRED.

You said, "The lack of evidence does not always mean nothing is there", I agree with that statement, but the lack of evidence most certainly does not mean there IS something there.

INDEED IT DOES NOT. BUT IF YOU MOVE OUTSIDE THOSE TWO SLIVERS I MENTIONED YOU MIGHT FIND SOME YOUR EVIDENCE.

Is the only reason you are on the path of righteousness because it leads to eternal paradise? I have made a response to a similar question on the thread about Dostoevsky and God. I have also described how I have never found religion/god necessary to be a good person.

MY FEEL OF THIS IS THAT YOU ARE NOT REALLY RAILING AGAINST WHAT I ACTUALLY SAID SO MUCH AS DISPUTING WHAT MOST RELIGIONS SAY--AND ON THAT POINT I WOULD LIKELY AGREE WITH YOU.

AIN'T IT FUN . . .

jl
You must understand, as I was raised an atheist it is rather difficult to visualize any sort of "god" by any definition. How do you feel about the bogey man? I swear to you I feel the same way about god. I think the problem is that people often equate my atheism with some sort of moral lacking, that is why I was quick to make assumptions as to where your view point was coming from.
Those slivers you spoke of, those unknowns can all be explained with science. Religion is future science, science is dead religion.

thegreytradster

Mar 30, 2006, 1:42 AM
Post #94 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thank you for making my primary point painfully obvious.

In reply to:
modern physics suggests that all matter and space come in discreet units of length called Planck lengths. Thus, the statement "This is not a perfect sphere" is correct for everything in the universe.

In other words we have gotten to the point where we can define the size of the pinhead, (that the angels dance on). boy will that get misinterpreted

Godel only posits (for the sake of this discussion) that all 360 degrees of Largos circle are fundamentally, simultaneously unknowable. No argument there.

vivalargo

Mar 30, 2006, 2:08 AM
Post #95 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"Those slivers you spoke of, those unknowns can all be explained with science. Religion is future science, science is dead religion."

Such an either/or, all-or-nothing argument has been raging in philosophy for roughtly 4,000 years.

Science can measure and posit various aspect ratios about the qualities and proportions and values in things--but I'm not talking about a "thing."

It's fascinating to see two sides of the same fundamentalist coin--one uses sciencep; the uses the Bible, or some other sacred text. One leads to radical materialism; the other, dislocated, super duper spiritualism.

Both are either/or and both are what psychologists call "thought distortions." One speaks in absolute terms while denying any direct knowledge of an absolute, only measurable bits. The other clings to an absolute while denying discrete things.

What do you thing the man meant when he said, "Form is emptiness (God) and emptiness is form---exactly."

I think most everyone wrangles with the need to "know," be it through science or spirituality or even religion (very different matters). But the deeper you get the more provisional it all becomes, and when nothing is left whatsoever, the Game is officially ON.

JL

styndall

Mar 30, 2006, 2:33 AM
Post #96 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thank you for making my primary point painfully obvious.

In reply to:
modern physics suggests that all matter and space come in discreet units of length called Planck lengths. Thus, the statement "This is not a perfect sphere" is correct for everything in the universe.

In other words we have gotten to the point where we can define the size of the pinhead, (that the angels dance on). boy will that get misinterpreted

Godel only posits (for the sake of this discussion) that all 360 degrees of Largos circle are fundamentally, simultaneously unknowable. No argument there.

I don't know what you mean about the angels and the defining. That's just a matter of physics and mathematics. Mathematicians postulate a lot of things that can be conceived of, yet don't exist. And with respect to Godel, you've got the theory all wrong. You're probably thinking about Heisenberg Uncertainty. Godel's Theorem is far different, more general, and mathematically beautiful.

As to your point about militancy, American currency doesn't say "There is no god." I generally take your advice, and chalk religions mostly up to historical bad trips and methods of enforcing cultural unity, but here in America, Christian religion gets all kinds of promotion into places it ought not. Thus, some atheistic militancy, though only at a small fraction of the quantity and ferocity of Christian militancy.

You don't believe in unicorns or leprechauns. I just go one step further and end up attacked for it.

vivalargo

Mar 30, 2006, 2:45 AM
Post #97 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

"You don't believe in unicorns or leprechauns. I just go one step further and end up attacked for it."

Styndal--As a fellow devotee of the Olde, may I suggrest that you go one step further and leave off with the beliefs and proofs and just run the rope into the void.

Even beats counting the bubbles in the beer . . .

JL

styndall

Mar 30, 2006, 3:07 AM
Post #98 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"You don't believe in unicorns or leprechauns. I just go one step further and end up attacked for it."

Styndal--As a fellow devotee of the Olde, may I suggrest that you go one step further and leave off with the beliefs and proofs and just run the rope into the void.

Even beats counting the bubbles in the beer . . .

JL

A dude can do both.

A few years back I got knocked off my road bike by a dog. I lost a lot of skin, a not inconsiderable quantity of blood, broke two spokes on my back wheel, and smashed my helmet.

I picked the bike up and rode the last six miles to the car. Didn't think once that whole time.

Void is always waiting, in an arrangement of sunlight through the leaves, in Chretien's Erec, in the green glass of a Cheerwine bottle.

Like I said, I dude can do both.

reno

Mar 30, 2006, 3:48 AM
Post #99 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In a more apropos example, modern physics suggests that all matter and space come in discreet units of length called Planck lengths. Thus, the statement "This is not a perfect sphere" is correct for everything in the universe. A perfect sphere, defined as the infinite set of points equidistant from a particular spot in three-dimensional space, cannot exist because the unit of building material for the universe is discreet. Thus, the existence of an imperfect specimen does not imply the existence in reality of a perfect specimen. This example is particularly telling because we can conceive of a perfect sphere without trouble. Such a thing, however, is necessarily imaginary. Sic deo est.

Oh, sure... make me actually think during a debate here. You've got some nerve, pal!

Your flaw is limiting things to the reality plane *as we are aware of it.* To us, currently, a perfect sphere can only exist as imagined, because the universe as we know it can not support a perfect sphere. Couldn't, however, our understanding be flawed? And if so, then couldn't our "limitations" to the universe be, thus, flawed?

jred

Mar 30, 2006, 4:07 AM
Post #100 of 122 (2192 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Those slivers you spoke of, those unknowns can all be explained with science. Religion is future science, science is dead religion."

Such an either/or, all-or-nothing argument has been raging in philosophy for roughtly 4,000 years.

Science can measure and posit various aspect ratios about the qualities and proportions and values in things--but I'm not talking about a "thing."

It's fascinating to see two sides of the same fundamentalist coin--one uses sciencep; the uses the Bible, or some other sacred text. One leads to radical materialism; the other, dislocated, super duper spiritualism.

Both are either/or and both are what psychologists call "thought distortions." One speaks in absolute terms while denying any direct knowledge of an absolute, only measurable bits. The other clings to an absolute while denying discrete things.

What do you thing the man meant when he said, "Form is emptiness (God) and emptiness is form---exactly."

I think most everyone wrangles with the need to "know," be it through science or spirituality or even religion (very different matters). But the deeper you get the more provisional it all becomes, and when nothing is left whatsoever, the Game is officially ON.

JL
Firstly, I just want to state that I am not a militant atheist, to tell you the truth the term does not make any sense to me. I have never tried to sway anyone to my view point, I have never assembled with other atheists, I couldn't tell you if I shared any interests with other atheists, nor do I necessarily care to.
What exactly are the fundamentals of atheism?
Another mis-conception about atheism (from my perspective at least) is that it will lead to "radical materialism". I was brought up well below the poverty line by atheists, I manage a rock climbing gym for a low wage, I am very far from materialistic, most of my clothing is second hand, I am poor by financial definition with no motivation towards wealth. Are there billionaire atheists?
If you are questioning why I am in this thread, then I will answer you intolerance. PTC started this thread with a negative remark about Islam, I merely pointed out Christianity's track record and debate ensued. The Christian contingent has long ago slunk away, starting a debate was not in their interest, they just wanted to dis' and condemn an entire religion and split.
I have a pretty good idea who you are looking to debate with, I am not him, yes I am a atheist but this view point is not who I am. I think you are looking for a head strong university student, instead you have found an older man who is so tired of defending his views (religious) that he rarely speaks them. You correctly pointed out that this debate has been going on for 4000 plus yrs., shit man, it feels like 5000yrs..

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook