First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

thegreytradster

Mar 30, 2006, 4:10 AM
Post #101 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Re: Islam, the religion of peace... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I actualy did mean Goddel and his idea that "completeness" and logical consistency are in some respects mutualy exclusive.

blondgecko

Mar 30, 2006, 4:52 AM
Post #102 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Decartes offered his belief in God thusly:

Doubt implies uncertainty. Uncertainty implies imperfection. But if there is imperfection, then that implies there must be something perfect. That perfectness is what he inferred to be God.

Rene Decartes... quite probably the greatest thinker ever, and one who influenced more rational thought than most people, still believed in God (in fact, his "Discourse on the Method" was edited and revised several times for fear that he'd offend his Church.)

That came from the greatest thinker ever?

We're all doomed...

curt

Mar 30, 2006, 5:47 AM
Post #103 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In a more apropos example, modern physics suggests that all matter and space come in discreet units of length called Planck lengths. Thus, the statement "This is not a perfect sphere" is correct for everything in the universe. A perfect sphere, defined as the infinite set of points equidistant from a particular spot in three-dimensional space, cannot exist because the unit of building material for the universe is discreet. Thus, the existence of an imperfect specimen does not imply the existence in reality of a perfect specimen. This example is particularly telling because we can conceive of a perfect sphere without trouble. Such a thing, however, is necessarily imaginary. Sic deo est.

Oh, sure... make me actually think during a debate here. You've got some nerve, pal!

He's certainly put you in some unfamiliar territory.

Curt

vivalargo

Mar 30, 2006, 6:01 AM
Post #104 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

By radical materialism I meant those folks who ascribe all to matter, whereas matter is the cause of the whole shebang, leading folks to think and believe that if it has no material to measure, it ain't real. I didn't mean someone hung up on trade goods.

And of course you can do both. But the lack of thinking by head injury or the breeze on El Cap is something different than what I'm driving at. But I took a shot at it, as I do sometimes on this list. Now it's time for that beer.

JL

styndall

Mar 30, 2006, 6:08 AM
Post #105 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
By radical materialism I meant those folks who ascribe all to matter, whereas matter is the cause of the whole shebang, leading folks to think and believe that if it has no material to measure, it ain't real. I didn't mean someone hung up on trade goods.

And of course you can do both. But the lack of thinking by head injury or the breeze on El Cap is something different than what I'm driving at. But I took a shot at it, as I do sometimes on this list. Now it's time for that beer.

JL

Word to the beer.

Perhaps I misunderstood you, and I think maybe my misunderstanding is a matter of category. My head classifies experiences of three types: Experiences of Things (which we're mostly discussing here), Experiences of Self (internal thought and reflection), and Experiences of... er, well, Experiences (things undergone without conscious reflection that aren't of a material nature).

I was speaking to third in my post above.

dingus

Mar 30, 2006, 1:01 PM
Post #106 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Clearly the problems people have with religion and science are not religion and science themselves. Its how other people pursue them, and proseltyze them.

Its like term limits in politics... they aren't to get rid of YOUR guy. They're to get rid of that other sonofabitch.

So much of what we object to, in religion or science, is how OTHER PEOPLE practice them.

You'd have to boil my dad in oil to get him to talk about religion. I really have no idea of his belief system, he won't engage. But he's really not interested in hearing the beliefs of others either. I think there may be grace in that approach...

The School of MYOB.

DMT

reno

Mar 30, 2006, 1:43 PM
Post #107 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Yeah, cause beating your arguments usually doesn't require much thought at all.

wjca

Mar 30, 2006, 2:10 PM
Post #108 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Clearly the problems people have with religion and science are not religion and science themselves. Its how other people pursue them, and proseltyze them.

Its like term limits in politics... they aren't to get rid of YOUR guy. They're to get rid of that other b----.

So much of what we object to, in religion or science, is how OTHER PEOPLE practice them.

You'd have to boil my dad in oil to get him to talk about religion. I really have no idea of his belief system, he won't engage. But he's really not interested in hearing the beliefs of others either. I think there may be grace in that approach...

The School of MYOB.

DMT

You mean the school of your wife's OB, right?

wjca

Mar 30, 2006, 8:53 PM
Post #109 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is it just me or is anyone else dissapointed that this thread has kind of died without jred at some point telling vivalargo to "STFU n00b"?

jred

Mar 31, 2006, 2:38 AM
Post #110 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Is it just me or is anyone else dissapointed that this thread has kind of died without jred at some point telling vivalargo to "STFU n00b"?
Naw' he's not so bad. I think the problem is that people who are very spiritual can not grasp that a person can be completely based in reality. There that is as close to stfu as I will go.

vivalargo

Mar 31, 2006, 2:45 AM
Post #111 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Naw' he's not so bad. I think the problem is that people who are very spiritual can not grasp that a person can be completely based in reality. There that is as close to stfu as I will go.

Huh? What ever gave you the idea that I was based in unreality? Your comment insists that you have some special, more fundamantal grasp of what reality really and truly is, while a spiritual path perforce removes you from reality. Actually the process works exactly the opposite, whereas a true spiritual path is all about punching through yor own illusions--heavy lifting by any measure, especially when you're convinced that you have the Real Deal in hand, and that everyone else is trading in illusions or New Age blue wind . . .

JL

curt

Mar 31, 2006, 5:09 AM
Post #112 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Yeah, cause beating your arguments usually doesn't require much thought at all.

To "beat" my arguments, you would first have to comprehend them--something you have time and time again demonstrated yourself incapable of. It's your fantasy though, so make it as big as you like. You argue like you climb...........weak. :wink:

Curt

reno

Mar 31, 2006, 5:29 AM
Post #113 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
To "beat" my arguments, you would first have to comprehend them--something you have time and time again demonstrated yourself incapable of.

When you make an understandable and valid point, let me know. Then, perhaps, I'll listen and give it pause.

In reply to:
It's your fantasy though, so make it as big as you like. You argue like you climb...........weak.

Shoulder a 40 lb pack, do a 10 mile ski approach, and run up 1700 feet of alpine ice with me... then you can talk, pebble-wrestler. ;)

curt

Mar 31, 2006, 5:56 AM
Post #114 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...Shoulder a 40 lb pack, do a 10 mile ski approach, and run up 1700 feet of alpine ice with me... then you can talk, pebble-wrestler. ;)

Again you fail to understand. I was not referring to hiking related activities that require no strength or technique. I meant difficult technical climbing. You know, what you can't do.

Curt

reno

Mar 31, 2006, 1:58 PM
Post #115 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I meant difficult technical climbing.

The kind you do in your creased Gucci pants?? :lol:

jred

Mar 31, 2006, 8:00 PM
Post #116 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Huh? What ever gave you the idea that I was based in unreality? Your comment insists that you have some special, more fundamantal grasp of what reality really and truly is, while a spiritual path perforce removes you from reality. Actually the process works exactly the opposite, whereas a true spiritual path is all about punching through yor own illusions--heavy lifting by any measure, especially when you're convinced that you have the Real Deal in hand, and that everyone else is trading in illusions or New Age blue wind . . .

JL
Really man , to be honest a good friend of mine presented all of your arguments for UFO's, should I believe all of the red-neck anal probed abductees were kidnapped by aliens? What is the difference?
I have punched through my illusions years ago and I have never subscribed to yours. I do not fear the unknown or death. I am comfortable knowing this is it. I see my carcass rotting in the earth, feeding maggots and pill bugs who will feed birds and fish, and so on. I see beauty in nature and it's cycles. I appreciate life for what it is, a beautiful, coincidental collision of chemicals. I marvel at all of the life I see, and appreciate life to the fullest, knowing I am finite as everything else in the universe is. Is that so offensive to you?
I do not think everyone else is trading in new age blue wind or illusions. I am respectful of (most) others beliefs and would never judge somebody or try to refute their beliefs. So please, It has never been "on". It is funny that you are so incapable of grasping that I truly KNOW there is no god, trying to convince me otherwise is like me trying to convince you that you are purple polka-dotted or even crazier that there is no pie-in-the-sky.

vivalargo

Mar 31, 2006, 9:09 PM
Post #117 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

JL
Really man , to be honest a good friend of mine presented all of your arguments for UFO's, should I believe all of the red-neck anal probed abductees were kidnapped by aliens? What is the difference?
I have punched through my illusions years ago and I have never subscribed to yours. I do not fear the unknown or death. I am comfortable knowing this is it. I see my carcass rotting in the earth, feeding maggots and pill bugs who will feed birds and fish, and so on. I see beauty in nature and it's cycles. I appreciate life for what it is, a beautiful, coincidental collision of chemicals. I marvel at all of the life I see, and appreciate life to the fullest, knowing I am finite as everything else in the universe is. Is that so offensive to you?
I do not think everyone else is trading in new age blue wind or illusions. I am respectful of (most) others beliefs and would never judge somebody or try to refute their beliefs. So please, It has never been "on". It is funny that you are so incapable of grasping that I truly KNOW there is no god, trying to convince me otherwise is like me trying to convince you that you are purple polka-dotted or even crazier that there is no pie-in-the-sky.

For starters, I'm not trying to convince you of anything, just stirring the pot to see what comes up. But let's take the time (whihc I haven't so far done) to take a studied look at exactly what it is you're saying.

JLReally man , to be honest a good friend of mine presented all of your arguments for UFO's, should I believe all of the red-neck anal probed abductees were kidnapped by aliens? What is the difference?

THE DIFFERENCE IS THAT, DESPITE MY REPEATEDLY SAYING THAT "BELIEFS" ARE NOT REQUIRED, YOU KEEP GOING BACK TO THE NOTION OF BELIEFS--LIKE AN ANT TO A HOLE--IMPLYING THAT WHAT i'M DRIVING AT IS A BELIEF. IT'S NOT.

I have punched through my illusions years ago and I have never subscribed to yours.

BY WHAT METHODS DID YOUR PUNCH THROUGH YOUR ILLUSIONS, AND WHAT WERE THEY? AND SINCE I HAVEN'T LISTED ANY "THING" FOR YOU TO "BELIEVE" IN, TO WHAT ILLUSION OF MINE ARE YOU REFERRING TO?

I do not fear the unknown or death. I am comfortable knowing this is it.

THAT, MY FRIEND, IS TOTAL RUBBISH. YOU BASICALLY ARE SAYING YOU ARE ENTIRELY FEARLESS. THE UNKNOWN (I USE THE WORD "VOID") AND THE FEAR OF DEATH UNDERLY ALL PERSONALITY TYPES. WITH A LOT OF WORK A PERSON CAN GET PAST THEIR REACTIONARY PATTERNS TO THE FEAR OF DEATH AND THE UNKNOWN, BUT NO ONE WILL ENTIRELY GET RID OF THESE MOST BASIC--OF THAT WE MAY BE SURE.

i see my carcass rotting in the earth, feeding maggots and pill bugs who will feed birds and fish, and so on. I see beauty in nature and it's cycles. I appreciate life for what it is, a beautiful, coincidental collision of chemicals. I marvel at all of the life I see, and appreciate life to the fullest, knowing I am finite as everything else in the universe is. Is that so offensive to you?

NOT AT ALL OFFENSIVE. I HAVE BASICALLY THE SAME VIEWPOINT ABOUT PHYSICAL REALITY.

I do not think everyone else is trading in new age blue wind or illusions. I am respectful of (most) others beliefs and would never judge somebody or try to refute their beliefs.

BUT YOU HAVE ALREADY SAID THAT YOUR KNOWLEDGE OF "NO GOD" IS NOT A BELIEF AT ALL, THAT THIS IS AN ABSOLUTE FACT THAT YOU "KNOW." MY CONTENTION IS THAT YOU DON'T KNOW, THAT YOUR "KNOWLEDGE" IS ACTUALLY JUST A BELIEF BASED ON THINKING AND MEMORY AND YOUR OWN EXPERIENCE, WHICH HERETOFORE HAS DIVULGED TO YOU NOTHING TRANSCENDENT. FAIR ENOUGH--BUT, THEN YOU GO ON TO IMPLY THAT YOUR EXPERIENCE IS THE MEASURE OF EVERY OTHER PERSON'S EXPERIENCE--FOR ALL TIME--AND THAT IF SOMEONE ELSES EXPERIENCE INCLUDES TRANSCENDENT ELEMENTS (BE THEY SOLOMON, ARISTOTLE, PLATO, WHITEHEAD, OR COCOA JOE), THESE ELEMENTS AND THESE FOLKS MUST BE FALSE AND MISTAKEN--OR MERE BELIEFS--BECAUSED THEY DO NOT SQUARE WITH YOUR EXPERIENCE. IN SHORT, JUST BECAUSE YOUR EXPERIENCE HAS NOT INCLUDED SOMETHING "BEYOND" DOES NOT MEAN THE "BEYOND' DOES NOT EXIST. IT MERELY MEANS IT DOES NOT EXIST FOR YOU. I'M NOT TRYING TO TALK YOU OUT OF WHAT YOU DON'T BELIEVE--HOW WOULD THAT WORK ANYHOW.

So please, It has never been "on".

MY REFERENCE TO "ON" WAS TO AN ADVENTURE OF RUNNING THE ROPE INTO THE VOID (THE UNKNOWN). AND APPARENTLY IT HAS NEVER BEEN "ON' FOR YOU, DESPITE YOUR INSISTENCE THAT YOU ARE ENTIRELY FEARLESS IN THE FACE OF THE UNKNOWN. SILLY RABBIT . . . .

It is funny that you are so incapable of grasping that I truly KNOW there is no god, trying to convince me otherwise is like me trying to convince you that you are purple polka-dotted or even crazier that there is no pie-in-the-sky.
IN NO PLACE IN MY SILLY RAMBLINGS WILL YOU FIND I'VE BEEN TRYING TO CONVINCE YOU THERE "IS" ANYTHING EXCEPT THAT YOU CLAIM OF "KNOWING" THERE IS NO TRANSCENDENT REALITY IS SIMPLY BASED ON YOUR OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE, NOT ON SOME ACTUAL "KNOWING." AT THIS POINT IT CAN BE NO OTHER WAY FOR YOU.

JL

jred

Apr 1, 2006, 2:31 AM
Post #118 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Please tell me you guys are buddies.

curt

Apr 1, 2006, 3:02 AM
Post #119 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

We are. Not the Brokeback Mountain kinda "buddies" though. :D

Curt

reno

Apr 1, 2006, 3:09 PM
Post #120 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Yep. Curt and I disagree on many things, but he's a man of character and I'd back him up in a bar fight any day.

Even if he is a pebble wrestler. ;)

rufusandcompany

Apr 1, 2006, 7:15 PM
Post #121 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Yep. Curt and I disagree on many things, but he's a man of character and I'd back him up in a bar fight any day.

That was the most homophobic proclamation of friendship that I think I've ever heard from a guy who considers himself an intellectual. GGRRR, you HE-MAN, you. :D

jred

Apr 3, 2006, 4:18 AM
Post #122 of 122 (2135 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

That was the most homophobic proclamation of friendship that I think I've ever heard from a guy who considers himself an intellectual. GGRRR, you HE-MAN, you. :D
Yeah, that was fairly funny Reno, maybe you should have added "after we fucked a few bitches, but not in the same room though". to the end of your sentence.

First page Previous page 1 2 3 4 5 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook