RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

gyngve

Apr 1, 2006, 8:27 PM
Post #1 of 13 (5666 views)
Shortcut

crashpads and airplanes
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

Anyone have any luck checking in a crashpad and not getting stiffed with an oversize fee?

The max length+width+girth is usually 66" inches, and the Mondo Pad is 87". But they make special allowances for skiis, hockey sticks, etc. Guess bouldering isn't mainstream-enough yet.

I emailed the airline I'll be flying... will post when I get a response from them.

lordjim

Apr 1, 2006, 9:08 PM
Post #2 of 13 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Re: crashpads and airplanes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

I took my Misty Magnum on Contiential around Christmas time and I didn't get stuck with an oversized fee. I got several questions about it from the lovely ladies and cool gents at the check in station. Just remember to call it a bouldering pad and not a crash pad, airline folk don't like hearing the word crash in the airports

ahimsa

Apr 3, 2006, 12:47 AM
Post #3 of 13 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i took my mad pad on a south western flight, no over charge they just made me sign the slip in case anything happened to it. It came out with no problems on the other side, and the questions were priceless, "what the hell is that thing" (after explaining what its for) "thats gunna save your ass"

kydd76

Apr 3, 2006, 1:06 AM
Post #4 of 13 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i stuffed a trad rack in my pad, they even weighted it. was under ten pounds, they asked what i was doing and where was i going kind of stuff, but no problems.

tonloc

Apr 3, 2006, 1:21 AM
Post #5 of 13 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

bring your crashpad to new zealand, i am here now for 6 monthes and decided to buy a new one here for ease of travel, the metolius large crashpad i got here was 384$ NZ which is a fackin lot, everything is expensive here, pay the overage charge if you must imported stuff over here is damn expensive...

shear

Apr 3, 2006, 11:44 AM
Post #6 of 13 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

flew delta to hueco over xmas...no charges. i stuffed my tent, sleeping bag, camp chair, food, clothes, basically everything i needed inside it...duct taped it shut and got no charges.

it was awesome having only one bag to carry.

ukbob

Apr 5, 2006, 3:42 PM
Post #7 of 13 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

me and some mates will be visitning from over the pond at the end of the month and will be flying with american airlines. does anyone know if they are cool with pads.if not what sort of prices are pads in the states at the moment?
cheers
limey bob

ukbob

Apr 5, 2006, 3:45 PM
Post #8 of 13 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

me and some mates will be visitning from over the pond at the end of the month and will be flying with american airlines. does anyone know if they are cool with pads.if not what sort of prices are pads in the states at the moment?
cheers
limey bob

jdouble

Apr 5, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #9 of 13 (5666 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

If you are over-size or over-weight with baggage the check-in agent is supposed to charge you. Smile, make a joke, and be overly nice when you reach the counter. Depending on the agent you could get by without a charge. Most bouldering pads are not too far over the restrictions (which vary from airline to airline, and differ if you are domestic or international).

Most airlines charge between 80-100 USD each way for the oversize penalty. My surfboard gets charged about 70% of the time, but is waaaay over the limits.

solan

Jun 16, 2008, 8:45 AM
Post #10 of 13 (4799 views)
Shortcut

Crashpads and international flights [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Anyone tried bringing a crashpad on a transatlantic flight? The restrictions are that W+H+D should not exceed 62", but the one I've been thinking of buying in the US (Metolius Stomp) is 70" when folded.

I have a choice between grey and copper, btw. I like the copper colour, but might it draw attention to the piece in a negative way making them more likely to charge me for the minute excess in size?

(This post was edited by solan on Jun 16, 2008, 9:01 AM)

navis

Jun 16, 2008, 6:04 PM
Post #11 of 13 (4739 views)
Shortcut

Re: [solan] Crashpads and international flights [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

If the overage charge is 80-100 it might be easier to just find a shipping company that ships by weight(i dont recall which companies are by weight vs size) but i know that a few are a "general size frame" and the weight makes hte main part of the price.

then call your location of staying and ask if they will recieve a package for you for your stay.

i used to do this when shipping paintball gear to tournaments and for mountain biking stuff. it works easy and 90% of the time the place will recieve the package for you. just another option.

synrock

Jul 4, 2008, 4:54 PM
Post #12 of 13 (4352 views)
Shortcut

Re: [navis] Crashpads and international flights [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Think out of the box (pad) people. Pads can be dismantled and fit into a duffle.

Here is the beta - http://www.synrockholds.com/flywithmondo.html

jacob80304

Jul 4, 2008, 5:49 PM
Post #13 of 13 (4331 views)
Shortcut

Re: [gyngve] crashpads and airplanes [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It totally depends on the airline attendant. I went to Yosemite this summer via Frontier and got it on no problem, but coming back I got robbed.

One thing that I heard afterwards was that if you check your pad on the curb, they are more lenient to letting it pass without charge.

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook