Forums: Climbing Disciplines: Trad Climbing:
NO solutions to John Long's anchor challenge?
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Trad Climbing

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

tumblemark

Apr 6, 2006, 4:19 AM
Post #1 of 39 (23851 views)
Shortcut

NO solutions to John Long's anchor challenge?
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

In reply to:
Activity on the "Solution to John Long's Anchor Challenge" and the "Improved sliding X: Is it really safer?" thread is dying down, so I thought I'd post a wrap-up in case anyone stumbles across this one in the future and wonders what the hell ever resulted (sorry for the length).

Not being shy of incautious posts, I'll cut right to the punch line:

THERE IS NO SOLUTION TO JOHN LONG'S ANCHOR CHALLENGE

At least not in the sense that there are any anchor designs that deliver equal loading of 2-, 3-, or 4-placement anchors at the instant of peak force and if the direction of the forces on the master point might change from those for which the anchor was originally adjusted ("the criteria"). Include the requirement that some provision is made for limiting gross extension in the event of a placement failure and, of course, some KISS component. That's the challenge, as I understood it, that spawned the lengthy thread.

The above conclusion means that any purported "best" designs will be compromises in some respects--but probably not the respects that most climbers would anticipate. Let me explain the reasons, then I'll illustrate what I think is the best compromise design.

After nearly 900 posts, I see only three designs that have come forth which have the potential, geometrically at least, to actually equalize 3 arbitrarily located placements and to have some pretense at limiting extension: the Craig Short + John Long design with which I started the "Solutio to..." thread, some version of Richard Goldstone's "chopolette," and the AstroGlide (although I'm unaware that a finalized version has ever been illustrated). (Charlesjmm points out that the Gordolette and Mooselette may also qualify, but not if adaptability to 4 placements is required. That also kills the AstroGlide.) Nevertheless I assert categorically that none of these designs actually meet "the criteria" and that no feasible design will ever be found that does.

The reason is simple: material passing around a carabiner (or even a pulley) is not 100% efficient, mainly due to friction. I posted a few measurements in the "Sliding X..." thread and there are also descriptions of the effect and its consequences in my book, The Mountaineering Handbook. charlesjmm posted in corroboration. Even with the simplest conceivable 2-placement configuration (narrow high modulus cord or tape around a climber's pulley at the master point), the imbalance of force on the two anchors will be more than 10%--in other words, not equalized. When you consider a useful 3-placement system, such as the alpine equalizer or any of the proposals mentioned above, and practical materials, the imbalance is so severe as to render "equalization" completely out of the picture. Anyone who doubts this should proceed with the awareness that skinny nylon webbing or 7 mm cord passing around a carabiner has a force conveying efficiency of about 66% (skinny Spectra/Dyneema over anodized HMS biners doesn't reach 80% efficiency; fat cord and skinny carabiners make things worse as does, I surmise, abrupt loading). Now figure in the number of times that the material must move around one carabiner or another in order for equalization to occur in any given anchor design and the picture should become evident as the inefficiencies build upon each other. This is a relatively easy assertion to confirm by tests for anyone who has good spring scales.

In reply to:
There are a few principles necessary to understanding these threads if you're new to them. All anchor implementations will undergo material slip around carabiners for several reasons: strands in the anchor will stretch differently unless all are precisely of equal length; strands may not be of the same material, i.e., some may be double strands; the anchor experiences forces from directions other than those for which it was originally adjusted. (The force on the master point will come roughly 3/8 from the belayer and 5/8 from the falling climber.) Spectra/Dyneema runners do reduce friction around carabiners, but not completely and limiter knots and hitches in them also slip when subjected to relatively low forces, as my posted results demonstrate. To top it off, figure-8 knots "clipped in the butt" also slip at relatively low forces. The one familiar anchor that does not allow material slip is the 1-knot cordelette, but it has the problem of difficulty of precise adjustment to balance the ultimate directions of fall forces and, more importantly, fails to unequalized placements (i.e., it typically fails to a single placement). Lastly, it has been mentioned with astonishment that a modest amount of extension (12" or so) is of little consequence ("shock loading" doesn't occur), but this should be evident from consideration of the fall factors that would result from such a drop.

This was the reality I confronted when I drafted my book about two years ago and unfortunately nothing has been proposed since to change things. So what can be done? Either simplify and de-emphasize equalization in favor of redundancy and a more sophisticated analysis of force directions, or/and settle for an anchor design that doesn't pretend to equalize perfectly but which fails gracefully.

John Long has mentioned a design called the equalette that takes the latter course. The best illustration is by charlesjmm.
http://i2.tinypic.com/swfu6b.jpg
That is a 4-placement version; it should be clear that it is 25/25/25/25 when hit by fall force only if all legs are exactly the same length and only if the ultimate directions of forces on the master point(s) are what the clove hitches were originally adjusted for. The 3-placement version starts off at 25/25/50--not equalized. The master point configuration, presumably balanced between the two carabiners, also has twice the sliding friction that's necessary. The main benefit is that carabiner friction is low and failure is to equalized placements (in the 3-placement version, but not in the 4-placement version), unlike the 1-knot cordelette design, which fails to but one. A problem is that any shift in the direction of applied forces from those for which the clove hitches were originally adjusted results in immediate conversion to a 2-placement anchor and doubling the force on one (in the case of the 3-placement version) or two (in the case of the 4-placement version) of the placements--even before any placement failures occur. John may supply more details--and fall-simulating tests--when his new book appears.

Here's another proposal:
http://i2.tinypic.com/swftp5.jpg
The 3-placement version of this design starts off at a nominal 25/25/50 force distribution, mitigated somewhat by making the longest leg go to the most distant placement (fall force tends to shift to the least stretchy side, which in this case is the one with two placements). Starting off without geometric equalization seems an unavoidable compromise. The equalization component, which I have been calling a "troublette," has about half the sliding friction of the equalette master point (confirmed by measurements) and since the upper troublette bears only half the total force, the relative merit as far as sliding friction goes compared to the equalette is moot. The 4-placement version uses two troublettes joined together by a third and is nominally 25/25/25/25. When it comes to adjusting for any shift in direction of forces on the master point, troublette anchors adapt whereas equalette versions do not.

I am well aware that the design could be constructed with a single cordelette (long accessory cord runner) or in some cases with slippery Spectra/Dyneema runners while avoiding failures due to knot slip. I'm also aware that some of the designs proposed in the "Sliding x..." thread (such as mhabicht's) are similar and could be modified to eliminate problems (such as figure-8 knots "clipped in the butt") and achieve similar results. There are important points regarding the relationships of the limiter sections (in any design) that should be dug out of the "Sliding x..." thread before using these schema. This isn't a recipe, it's an illustration of what I believe to be the new school understanding: "perfect" equalization is not the objective of multiplacement anchor building--it can never be achieved, due to friction. The objectives should be to align the pro and cord so that the placements work together to achieve mutual security, abandon attempts at geometric equalization in favor of reducing friction at carabiners (which means reducing the number of strands running around carabiners), and ensure redundancy of load distribution so as to minimize adverse consequences of any single placement failure.

Are these the final words on equalized, multiplacement anchors? Doubtless not. There are many details that were addressed in the long "Sliding X..." thread and, if details are in your thoughts, you should go there. But the conclusion is clear: there is no simple recipe, no holy grail, for constructing effective equalized anchors. The best results will come from thoughtful compromises after abandoning some sacrosanct old school wisdom.
Craig, this is what you posted in the Solutions to John Long's anchor challenge thread. It needs more justification. Are you saying that the anchor designs that have what you call "geometric" equalization (that appear to be 33/33/33%) don't actually equalize, and that certain other designs that seem to start out without equalization (are 25/25/50, say) actually end up better? Are you saying that the 900 posts on the Improved sliding x thread were a waste of time?

What's your story?

majid_sabet

Apr 6, 2006, 6:06 AM
Post #2 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Re: NO solutions to John Long's anchor challenge? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

First anchor is rated at above 17000 pound
Second anchor is rated at 5800 pound

What else you want to know?

fingertrouble

Apr 6, 2006, 2:25 PM
Post #3 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm not saying that those 900 posts were a waste of time; they represent a lot of effort and doubtless a lot was learned. The problem was/is that the important issue of carabiner friction was pretty much ignored. John Long put out some hints, but IIRC only two posters, charlesjmm and I, specifically focused on the effect of carabiner friction and offered any data. The other posters, with the exception of John, apparently went about searching for anchor designs with the assumption that cord/webbing would slide around carabiners without encountering any resistance and so were exploring what I called "geometric" solutions. Only a few geometrically successful solutions were proffered, and none had the potential to be widely accepted, mostly because of excess complexity, even had they actually equalized. Simple tests would have shown that no solutions offered real world equalization and that some solutions were accepted as being "good enough" without a full understanding of the dynamics and the effects of friction.

The effect of carabiner friction is not unfamiliar to climbers. It's the reason a lighter climber can belay a heavier climber on top rope. It's the reason that rescue pulley rigs don't work as well as expected. Turns out it's also the reason that anchor designs that look good on paper don't work out in the real world. Appreciating the effects of friction in climbing anchors is indeed a paradigm shift.
In reply to:
The Mountaineering Handbook,"]Mr. Friction is not your friend.
As an example, have a look at what's going on with the familiar alpine equalizer, a good example of the bad effects of friction when cord/webbing passes around carabiners. In a good AE implementation you'll notice that in order for the tension in all strands to be equal at the instant of peak fall force (when cord stretch is at maximum), the cord/webbing must make 5 U turns around several carabiners as it stretches. Each such U turn of cord on a carabiner has a force transfer efficiency of roughly 66%. The amount of stretch is unimportant; even a little is enough, and stretch or cord movement will occur when any rig is put under load. In other words, the alpine equalizer will rarely equalize when hit by fall forces, even though it appears to be equalized when you set it up. I measured a 3-placement alpine equalizer and found that only 6% of the load at the master point appeared at a placement. You would hope for 33%. In other other words, the AE is very far from being an equalizing rig--mainly due to carabiner friction. Maybe that's OK for a top rope anchor that will only see low forces, but you might want to do better for the leader's Anchor #1. You can apply this analysis to the designs proposed in the "Improved sliding x..." or the "Solution to..." threads, or you can test your favorite design directly. Complex anchors all fail to wail; as charlesjmm said, "It's in their DNA!". Thus my conclusion that reducing the number of carabiner wraps is a necessary basic objective in multiplacement anchor design. (the other objectives being adapting to changed force directions, and graceful failure)

Now deconstruct my pedagogical proposal in the quoted post. Here is the long runner and the master point in isolation, set up as if for a simple 2-placement anchor (which I nicknamed a "troublette").
http://i2.tinypic.com/sxzv2r.jpg
You might think this is an obviously 50/50 equalized anchor. Mr. Friction says it's not. First off, the long side will stretch more than the short side, so as the fall force comes on the anchor and strands stretch, webbing will slide around the master carabiner as it attempts to balance forces, but friction will inhibit full balancing. Tests I did a couple of years ago when writing The Mountaineering Handbook and which I confirmed recently show that cord/webbing around a carabiner has roughly 50% to 70% efficiency, depending on materials and test methods (small cords on big carabiners is better, webbing on small carabiners is worse). That means that the force on the long leg of the anchor will be less than on the short leg--the placements won't be equalized, mainly because carabiner friction prevents force balancing. Optimistically assuming an efficiency of around 70% you would actually get about 40/60 instead of 50/50 force balancing, according to theory and my measurements. If you're puzzling out these details, think of a carabiner as a dysfunctional pulley.

Now add the second troublette to the short side to make the 3-placement anchor in the quoted post. The second troublette will have the same friction issue, so the 60% from the master point will again be divided about 40/60. You end up with an anchor that, in real life, due mainly to friction, delivers 40/24/36. Not equalized--not 33/33/33--but not too shabby considering what it could have been (compared to the AE, for example). Climbers must still understand the underlying principles, because if you put the second troublette on the long side instead of the short side you'd end up with 16/24/60. Specific tests need to be done to better determine the magnitude of friction effects with a variety of materials and impact loads, and I'll bet they won't be easy.

I've been asked, so why not just use an equalette? Certainly an option, but as I said, my main complaint is that if the applied forces change direction, some strands will go slack and the anchor will immediately become a 2-placement anchor. flyinglow posted a photo in the "Improved sliding x..." thread which shows this effect:
http://i42.photobucket.com/...yinglow/sidepull.jpg
This issue makes me wonder whether the particular equalette implementation illustrated in the quoted post was offered as a straw man to show the master point and not really as a fleshed-out anchor design.

The ultimate direction of forces (vector sum in 3-D space, for physics geeks) of the fall forces (from the belayer and from the climber) must coincide with what you adjusted the clove hitches for or you'll just have a 2-placement anchor when the load comes on. Using two troublettes (or three to make a 4-placement anchor) avoids this problem. I have measured sliding friction for the sliding-X, equalette, and troublette and got about a 4:2:1 ratio, as I have posted. John Long has posted that a 4-placement anchor can be built with two sliding-Xs equalized by an equalette-type master point, and that he was testing this design. I independently posted a picture of a similar rig with a troublette master point and explained why it's reasonable (the sliding-Xs each see about half the load). I'd surmise that it's better to use troublettes throughout and get the minimum sliding friction. Once the effects of carabiner friction are better understood and more tests are made with fall-simulating forces to confirm that high force tests translate to really high abrupt forces, better anchor designs may emerge. John won't make his final recommendations until we see his book, but things should clarify even more at that time.
In reply to:
your master point is only 11kn now, as your going off of a single strand of a sling.
This is a misunderstanding. Jim is perhaps distracted by the limiter knots and other things above the master point. The master carabiner is supported by two strands (one on each side) and should be good for 22 kN (based on BD runner specs), the same strength as typical HMS lockers. The equalette master carabiners are together supported by four strands, but that's why there's twice the sliding friction compared to the troublette.

glowering

Apr 6, 2006, 2:58 PM
Post #4 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The equalette master carabiners are together supported by four strands, but that's why there's twice the sliding friction compared to the troublette.

Frictional forces are dependent only on the frictional coefficient of the materials and the force. Not surface area.

Anchor equalization isn't so much about perfect balance of forces, but sharing the load, i.e. redundancy. That is why the equalette is good, redundancy for two pieces, with 1 or 2 more pieces as backup.

patto

Apr 6, 2006, 3:07 PM
Post #5 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Craig, I have liked your work. I must say that I have found your posts the best of them all on this isse. I'm curious, do you view good equalisation quite important in day-to-day climbing? Do you view the cordalette as 'unsafe'?

The reason why I ask is because I have argued, that the basic cordalette is sufficient in most circumstances and certainly shouldn't be considered unsafe. IMHO, if you do want to solve the equalisation issue your "Craig short & John long" seems the way to go.

(I don't want to start the codalette argument again, im just interested in your opinion on the matter. Personally I plan to stick to the cordalette.)

tradklime

Apr 6, 2006, 3:08 PM
Post #6 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The problem was/is that the important issue of carabiner friction was pretty much ignored. John Long put out some hints, but IIRC only two posters, charlesjmm and I, specifically focused on the effect of carabiner friction and offered any data.

John Long specifically addressed carabiner friction with his equalette design, including some test results to back it up.

Partner heximp

Apr 6, 2006, 4:03 PM
Post #7 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This is the best thread... I am presently still using cordlettes because it takes me forever to learn new ways. I am waiting for the book to come out for the chance to bang a few new ideas into my head. Plus, I believe Long is still coming up with the answers....
Anyway, rereading something with technical data is easier then having someone repeat it as many times that I need.
Thanks for the post...
I believe anchors are the most important part of climbing... Setting up a rope is always about life and death...
Ever Jumar a free line?
Anyway, anyone that has an idea upon how to make it better, is my hero.
Thanks for all the post... You are all brilliant...

jakedatc

Apr 7, 2006, 4:22 AM
Post #8 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

LOL

Now craig gets another thread to quote himself and plug HIS book even more.
:roll: :boring:

fingertrouble

Apr 11, 2006, 3:01 PM
Post #9 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Thanks for the kind words, patto. Gives me the opportunity to apologize for caustic comments I wish I hadn't made.

Do I view the cordelette as unsafe? No. But thinking of the 1-knot cordelette anchor as a sure-fire recipe for equalization IS unsafe. That's because it's hard to tune it to a configuration that will evenly distribute tension at the instant of peak fall force; because the 1-knot cordelette anchor doesn't self-adjust to changing tension due to stretch of different length legs; and because it doesn't self-adjust to deal with changes in the directions of applied forces. And it often reverts to a 1-placement anchor.

Consider this example: You need to build an anchor, but have limited placement options. You know (or would know if you worked through the Petzl fall force simulator) that one stout placement is all you need. You see a good spot for a big hex, but it looks as though fall forces will be poorly aligned. Off to the side there's a place to sink an RP, but only against a sideways pull. Could you use a cordelette (long cord runner) to construct an anchor that will redirect force onto the hex and make it secure? Looks like it. Or would you be better off just equalizing the two pieces with an equalette? Probably not.

Is true equalization the one most important characteristic of a complex anchor? The fact that no designs have been offered that deliver it pretty much answers the question. There are other important characteristics, too, such as force direction management, backup/redundancy, and graceful failure. Each circumstance will present its own requirements and competent climbers will use different tools to address them.

None of the anchor designs that offer geometric equalization, including Craig Short and its many variants, actually deliver equalization in the real world; they just have too much friction. Designs that start out without geometric equalization, but focus instead on reducing carabiner friction as a means of balancing forces on placements, also have their own special limitations. You can't just throw an equalette or troublette at a given anchor problem and expect good results every time. As I posted earlier in this thread, you might get good results or you might make things much worse if you don't understand why forces go where they go in your anchor. Attempting to lash together a bunch of dodgy placements with a rig you hope will equalize is what I've called "the infinite number of monkeys school of anchor building." There is no recipe that will eliminate "technical" from technical climbing.

And jakedatc, thanks for the bump, but do you really think that anyone following these threads will run out and buy a book on general mountaineering? :roll: Complex rock anchors is just part of one chapter out of 28. Impecunious climbers looking for more depth should save their pennies and buy John's book when it comes out.

pastprime

Apr 11, 2006, 4:31 PM
Post #10 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Everybody should carry a chalk bag full of lard and smear it generously on all the carabiners and slings when they build an anchor, so they don't have to worry about friction.
Metolius could formulate a special anchor lard.
Or John Long could trade off his name, and market Long's Own Lard.
Include a free tube with every copy of his next anchor book.

Partner philbox

Apr 11, 2006, 11:05 PM
Post #11 of 39 (23849 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Everybody should carry a chalk bag full of lard and smear it generously on all the carabiners and slings when they build an anchor, so they don't have to worry about friction.

Why not use Astroglide? So many one liners for this subject. :lol:

fingertrouble

Apr 13, 2006, 3:17 PM
Post #12 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

charlesjmm posted, on the "improved sliding x..." thread, a clever means of adding backup for the load-bearing strand in the master points of anchor designs that attempt to reduce sliding friction by using only one such strand instead of two, in particular the Troublette. I thought I'd post a slightly cleaned-up illustration on this thread to make it easier to see what's going on. This illustration is one that didn't make it into my book, so it's a couple of years old. A newer shot might show cord instead of webbing.
http://i2.tinypic.com/vdpy0y.jpg
By clipping a limiter loop formed in the unloaded strand you achieve backup of a failed placement and backup of the loaded strand, or both simultaneously. As with a conventional Troublette, the unloaded strand should be shorter than the loaded strand, guaranteeing that limiter knots won't pull through the master carabiner. If you feel the need to also back up the master carabiner itself, simply clip the limiter loop to the rope with another carabiner instead of clipping it to the master carabiner. The second carabiner doesn't have to be a matching HMS locker. You still get the least possible sliding friction at the master point.

jimdavis

Apr 19, 2006, 1:33 AM
Post #13 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
your master point is only 11kn now, as your going off of a single strand of a sling.
This is a misunderstanding. Jim is perhaps distracted by the limiter knots and other things above the master point. The master carabiner is supported by two strands (one on each side) and should be good for 22 kN (based on BD runner specs), the same strength as typical HMS lockers. The equalette master carabiners are together supported by four strands, but that's why there's twice the sliding friction compared to the troublette.

I agree, I got that a little wrong. I edited that to say ~16 kn....did posts get deleted? My original post isn't here anymore....

Anyway, I was initially wrong with my thinking that your down to 11kn. But, with the overhand knots in the webbing....yout not going to have your full 22kn anymore....and being clipped around only 1 piece of webbbing gives you NO redundancy...that freaks me out. If I were to use a system like this, I'd place a slack quickdraw between the free-floating strand in the middle of the troublette and the master biner...for a backup.

I see how it's not really 11kn, but I don't think your up around 22kn either on that sling. That, I could be wrong about as well...but it seems intuitive to me.

Cheers,
Jim

catbird_seat

Apr 19, 2006, 6:45 PM
Post #14 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
You may be onto something here. Has anyone ever tried making a carabiner with a Teflon (PTFE) coating on its bearing surface? My guess is that unless it were very thick, it would wear off quickly. Of course you could always dedicate the carabiner to the power point of anchors only, so that it would seldom see loads.

I wonder how the coefficient of friction of Dyneema on PTFE compares to Dyneema on anodized aluminum? Dyneema is pretty slippery stuff. On PTFE- that would be slippery as hell.

charlesjmm

Apr 21, 2006, 6:12 AM
Post #15 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

This past weekend I decided to try in real-time the following 2 ideas on a 3-pitch trad route :

http://i49.photobucket.com/...TroubletteAnchor.jpg

The only difference between the two lies in the location of the overhand knots on the load-bearing strand; however, I experienced a noticeable difference in handling when the overhands knots were located near the placements and the slings were carried pre-rigged. Rigging time was consistently under 90 seconds at each of the 3 belay stations (once the placements were set).
This configuration would easily accommodate random anchor placements only requiring adjustment of the backup strand. Dismantling the anchor was a piece of cake since it did not require undoing any tightened knots; the slings were all set to be used on the next anchor. In contrast, locating the overhand knots near the master biner required adjustment of all three overhand knots when faced with random placements and effort was spent undoing two tightened knots while dismantling.

In order to minimize friction effects I used three 48” slippery Dyneema slings along with large diameter anodized Omega locking biners. Sliding the master point from side to side felt extremely smooth. This is how I set up the anchors; I didn´t have the chance to set it up in a vertical orientation.

http://i49.photobucket.com/...roubletteAnchor4.jpg

The picture on the right illustrates a way of incorporating a shelf.

This turn out to be a very effective way of rigging a low friction 25/50/25 anchor. Only the Equalette, incorporating this design at the master point, would experience less friction.

johngo

Apr 21, 2006, 8:41 PM
Post #16 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Charles and Craig,

I personally think these two rigs are brilliant. Charles, I especially like the "pre-set" method you used. I will be trying these out shortly. Thanks for all your contributions to this topic, from which we all (well, most all of us) are learning .

Be Well,
johngo

fingertrouble

Apr 23, 2006, 1:04 AM
Post #17 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

charlesjmm has again contributed a clever solution, but there are a couple of things to mention. I would be cautious about relying on limiter knots in Spectra/Dyneema runners. I recently measured 8 mm Dyneema tape runners and found that limiter knots slip (roll over and over on themselves) at between 2 and 4 kN when pulled in the side-loaded or offset manner. Conventional 18 mm Spectra runners took considerably more force, but I didn't measure it. The main concern would be that a slipping limiter knot might cause the Spectra/Dyneema to melt; it has a much lower melting point than nylon. Before I could enthusiastically get behind using Spectra/Dyneema runners in this way, particularly the 8 mm (and soon 6 mm) variety, I'd want reassurances from the manufacturer (Mammut) or some independent testing using abruptly applied loads.

Regarding charlesjmm's 3-placement proposal, note that a nominally 25/50/25 anchor could be built with only two troublettes; three, pre-tied or otherwise, are not necessary. This is what I illustrated in the quoted post that opened this thread; that design would have less master point sliding friction than any comparable designs. If a shelf were needed, the backup strands could be used in various ways. The real lesson is to understand sliding friction and how to deliberately minimize rather than inadvertently maximize its adverse effects.

The question remains as to the importance of equalization when building rock anchors. After taking care to build an anchor that optimally aligns pro placements with applied forces, it appears that precise equalization is not such a big deal in nearly every case. Pretty good equalization would be desirable, however, especially if it were easy to set up. charlesjmm's proposal, and the troublette in general, addresses that. Failing to address it knowledgeably could lead to pretty bad equalization, and that's what we're trying to get away from. Still, is a troublette, pre-tied generic or ad hoc, significantly better than a garden variety sliding-X? Only testing with fall-simulating forces can ultimately answer this question.

roy_hinkley_jr

Apr 23, 2006, 2:18 AM
Post #18 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Still, is a troublette, pre-tied generic or ad hoc, significantly better than a garden variety sliding-X? Only testing with fall-simulating forces can ultimately answer this question.

Seeing that nobody has posted any data that extension of a sliding-X is truly evil, all of this other speculation on complicated systems is pointless. Long admitted he hasn't had the basic double or triple sliding-X tested. Nobody else appears to have actually demonstrated that the forces from extension are critical when a dynamic rope is in the system. Most of this fear is based on static ropes and rescue loads or pure theory.

The whole cordadeath rig was based on the supposition it would be fine for trad anchors but nobody bothered to check it until too late. Doesn't sound like Long's book will truly provide any answers, just more speculation with minimal testing. Leubben's anchor book will probably be better but his resources are limited too. Before KISS is abandoned, somebody has to do a lot more testing.

sterlingjim

Apr 23, 2006, 3:21 AM
Post #19 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I was the poor soul that did all the testing for John. Turned out to be a much bigger project than anticipated.

I did do some tests on the extension issue of the sliding x or rather the extension of what John is calling the equalette. I'm not sure if the data from those tests are going into the book so I am not a liberty to post them here. I can say, however, that other than the sudden little heart stopping drop there is no problem with a small amount of extension. Shock loading does not exist when using the rope as your main attachment. The only real problem I can see is the potential for the belayer to panic and lose control of belay.

charlesjmm

Apr 24, 2006, 12:19 AM
Post #20 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Fingertrouble, the tests you performed on the overhand knot using 8 mm Dyneema (Improved Sliding X thread page 57) were set up in such a way that both strands going into the knot were loaded in opposite directions (red sling), whereas the knot in the improved Troublette is loaded in a “normal” orientation (green sling) that would make to knot tighten instead of roll over on itself.

http://i49.photobucket.com/...losjmm/Overhands.jpg

Would Dyneema increase the chance of slippage of an overhand knot used in a “normal” orientation? What about a figure 8 loop?

pipsqueekspire

Apr 24, 2006, 12:48 AM
Post #21 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The real title of this thread should be
"Why are we trying to solve this challenge?"

Ahhh... I have enjoyed watching all of this unfold. I want to weigh in on the "Is the cordolette unsafe?" question. The answer is NOBODY KNOWS! That is the problem with all of this chat. We are all talking about finding solutions to a "problem" that may not actually be causing any harm.

What I want to hear about is if anyone can prove that a cordolette failed completely that would not have failed if it were one of these other types of anchors. Yes in the lab you can generate these forces but they are extremely rare in the real word. Otherwise we would hear about anchor failure 2-3 times a year... it just does not happen!!!

I heard a lot about the Idyllwild accident but in that case all the placements pulled- that is placement failure- not cordolette failure. For now I think the cordolette is very safe, very quick and until John or anyone else comes up with a simple, one cord, one locker 30 second solution we are all putting the cart before the horse. And in my mind with the type of climinbing I enjoy- time is MUCH more important than micro managing the equalization in terms of safety.

I want you all to understand that I ask these things not to slow progress or to stop innovation but to question why we look where we are looking. Is it because we want to have input into JLs new book? Or because we want to improve safety and since we cant craft new cam designs in the garage we just tie things together?

Maybe we should look into our teaching methods as a community. Maybe something simple like "Never belay with all of your placements in a flake that makes a "bong" sound when you hit it" as a rule never to be broken will save more lives. I know not to do it yet it still happens that people belay from expando flakes. Or "Always place the largest cam that fits" as a rule in new books will save more lives or prevent injury. Why are we not looking into those questions. I have stories to back up those but none for the cordolette.

Just a thought.... in the mean time I will continue to teach the cordolette as a simple, SAFE, fast lead or TR anchor.

-pip

jimdavis

Apr 24, 2006, 1:07 AM
Post #22 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I heard a lot about the Idyllwild accident but in that case all the placements pulled- that is placement failure- not cordolette failure.
-pip

Isn't the issue (that we're all trying to address) the distribution of force across the pieces in an anchor? I.E. eliminating cascading placement failures due to a lack of force distribution.

If it were the strength of the cord used in the anchor that was the problem...it'd be a quick fix; bigger, stronger cord.

But it's what the cord is, or is not, doing to the pieces in the anchor. I don't think anyone here thought the problem with the cordelette was that we could snap the cord like your implying....

Jim

smorgasbord

Apr 24, 2006, 2:50 AM
Post #23 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Let me preface this with the fact that I am a relatively inexperienced climber, but I have been following this debate closely.

charlesjimm (and others), I am wondering if there is or should be any concern about the location of the limiter loop. In the initial proposed designs, the loop is on the spine of the carabiner. In your field test, the loop is on the gate side of the carabiner.

My thought is that if the backup strand is too long, the limiter loop could snag on the gate and cause a cross loading situation should the load bearing strand break or a placement fail, but if the loop is on the spine side of the carabiner this would not happen. However, while actually climbing, it is desirable for both the gate and the limiter loop to be oriented so that they are away from the wall (and the spine rests against the wall) - which could possibly lead to the crossloading situation I described.

This might be prevented by perfecting the length of the the backup strand, but if it is short enough to prevent the limiter loop from dropping below the gate, it seems like the range of equalization is more limited.

So, my questions are:
Is there a potential for crossloading in setups like charlesjimm's field test?
Any thoughts on my other assumptions (gates away from the rock, etc)?

I really like this anchor rigging, but the loop over the gate concerns me.

pipsqueekspire

Apr 24, 2006, 5:22 AM
Post #24 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Isn't the issue (that we're all trying to address) the distribution of force across the pieces in an anchor? I.E. eliminating cascading placement failures due to a lack of force distribution.

If it were the strength of the cord used in the anchor that was the problem...it'd be a quick fix; bigger, stronger cord.

But it's what the cord is, or is not, doing to the pieces in the anchor. I don't think anyone here thought the problem with the cordelette was that we could snap the cord like your implying....

Jim

I see how that could be confusing but I dont think you can cascade a 3 placement anchor that had even ONE solid placement without severely deforming the anchor. Either the cord, a biner, or the placement. My understanding of that anchor failure was, it was not a straight down cascade failure but rather either poor placements, poor rock, or a completely unanticipated direction of pull. Radical changes in direction of pull can yank gear no matter how you equalize.

Still a very tragic event but I dont think a new anchor could have prevented those deaths.

This is why we need to ask what COULD have prevented those deaths...
-pip

charlesjmm

Apr 24, 2006, 10:35 PM
Post #25 of 39 (23847 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

charlesjimm (and others), I am wondering if there is or should be any concern about the location of the limiter loop. In the initial proposed designs, the loop is on the spine of the carabiner. In your field test, the loop is on the gate side of the carabiner.

http://i49.photobucket.com/...tepositionissues.jpg

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Trad Climbing

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook