Premier Sponsor:

Partner dondiego

Apr 12, 2006, 7:41 PM
Post #1 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Cigar Talk
Report this Post
Can't Post

I was stalking up on some scotch the other day and used some of the suggestions from the scotch posts as help when I noticed the strangest thing...... some of the people that usually are at each other's throats were chatting quite nicely on that topic, and mentioning some really great scotches as well.

So in the effort to expand my cigar knowledge past Gurkha, Montecristo, and Romeo and Julietta I ask for input from the other stick smokers out there. Tell what you like and what drink each goes best with. Also, I am looking for a descent cigar that I can stock up on to hand out at poker night and climbing campfires... Thanks

-DD-

wjca

Apr 12, 2006, 7:51 PM
Post #2 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Re: Cigar Talk [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I was stalking up on some scotch the other day ...

-DD-

STALKER!!!

Partner dondiego

Apr 12, 2006, 7:58 PM
Post #3 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

It never saw me coming....

carabiner96

Apr 12, 2006, 8:00 PM
Post #4 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

how about some swisher sweets? :D

that's my extenstive knowledge on cigars. here (college) most people just push out the tobacco and make a massive blunt out of it...never seen so many high kids in my life.

kydd76

Apr 12, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #5 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Punch's are great with good KY whiskey.

lordjim

Apr 12, 2006, 8:22 PM
Post #6 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

check out Thompson Cigar company. Online and B&M co out of FL. Nice selection I think. My best man hasn't complained about them. http://www.thompsoncigar.com/

chupa

Apr 12, 2006, 9:05 PM
Post #7 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Check out Cigar Aficionado. They're always up to date with the current best in stock cigars you can get. You can never go wrong with a nice Arturo Fuente though! Gloria Cubana is also a very nice cigar. That or go into your local cigar shop and ask an expert. Tell them what you like and they should be able to send you in the correct direction.

arrettinator

Apr 12, 2006, 9:13 PM
Post #8 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
how about some swisher sweets? :D

that's my extenstive knowledge on cigars. here (college) most people just push out the tobacco and make a massive blunt out of it...never seen so many high kids in my life.
As long as you get the wood tips. Plastic tips suck.

Personally, I'm a pipe guy. Toke up some cherry cavendish tobacco. Toss a slice of apple in there for flavor. (edit: in the pouch, not the pipe)

As for cigars, DD, try out these. :roll:

elvislegs

Apr 12, 2006, 11:02 PM
Post #9 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

first off, i smoke maduros almost exclusively so if that's not your bag, this will all be pretty much useless to you.

i've smoked a lot of cigars, from all over the place (including cuba), but one of my favorite makers is (was?) tres hermanos out of new orleans. i don't know how they did coming through the hurricanes but pre-storms, they made one of the best maduros out there.

some other favorites include: xxo, punch, and cao. each of these make a fine maduro cigar, and they are all pretty economically priced.

thegreytradster

Apr 12, 2006, 11:25 PM
Post #10 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

see if you can find some Match Play.

It's been explained to me that these are Davidof seconds. You get a north of 15 dollar cigar for about 6 or 7

Never had a bad one.

reno

Apr 12, 2006, 11:36 PM
Post #11 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I like Punch's too, as they seem to me a good balance of smokability and price (the old lady would kick my ass all the way to Tucson if I spent more than $12 or so on a cigar.)

I also like Cohiba rubusto's when I feel like a treat.

Macanudos are more hype than reality, IMHO.

Partner dondiego

Apr 12, 2006, 11:58 PM
Post #12 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I am kickin on a Rocky Patel right now and it is a ery smoothe stick. Vintage 1990 maduro.

Yes, I have tried the Don Diego's. Not too bad (I had too)

I do most of muy buying over the net at cigars international. They have good deals on lots of variety packs that rarely do me wrong. Smoking sticks in the military became pretty trendy for a while, but it has calmed back a bit due to cost of good sticks. Most soldiers stick with more affordable brands. I like middle of the road with the occasional costoso for good measure. Maduro is also my favorite.

-DD-

carabiner96

Apr 13, 2006, 12:20 AM
Post #13 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Personally, I'm a pipe guy

wow, there is nothing sexier than a guy smoking a pipe. Well....

chauch

Apr 13, 2006, 3:05 AM
Post #14 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'm pretty partial to Gran Habano. Pretty much any wrapper will do it for me, and they're not too expensive either. Now if you want something heavier I really love Joya de Nicaragua Antano. I hope you love it.

lockeyaaron

Apr 13, 2006, 3:25 PM
Post #15 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

DD

Don't know when you will be back over seas again but when we were in Kuwait in 2001 you could get Cohiba's for around 4 bucks each. I still have about half a box that I can't find a good enough reason to smoke. I have been pretty stingy with them so I think that all the groomsmen in my wedding will probably get them when that day arrives. I digress...For the money though and if its still allowed you should try to bring some of them back next time. The best I have ever smoked!!

Doobs

pinktricam

Apr 13, 2006, 5:12 PM
Post #16 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

My favorite cigars (in no particular order): Arturo Fuentes, CAO, Aurora, Fonsecas (ESPECIALLY Cuban Fonsecas) and Romeo y Juliettas. I stopped buying Monte Cristos because I'd too often get a tightly rolled one that was tough to draw.

My favorite libation to enjoy with a good cigar is a 50/50 blend of Gran Marnier and a good Cognac. Yes, I'll dip the butt into this concoction.

Partner dondiego

Apr 13, 2006, 9:39 PM
Post #17 of 17 (527 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Good input by all, even the pipe smoker, now what off brands have been pleasantly surprising? I recently had a cigar that was devoted to the US Army Special Forces. Cheesy packaging but easy smoker with a little spicy kick.

-DD-

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook