RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Bouldering

Premier Sponsor:

lowballin

Apr 11, 2006, 2:06 AM
Post #1 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

rocktown camping
Report this Post
Average: avg_1 avg_2 avg_3 avg_4 avg_5 (0 ratings)  
Can't Post

I was at a volunteer day at pigeon mt helping plant trees and clean up and i heard the ranger talking about rocktown camp being the main reason the camping was stopped in most areas because of the trash. every climber I have met seems to be more than glad to clean up there camp. I dont understand there was always a large group of climbers camping there but i have a hard time seeing climbers trash a place. what do the rest of you think??

juliek

Apr 16, 2006, 1:46 AM
Post #2 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Re: rocktown camping [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

It is rare to see climbers trash a camping area or anything outdoors! Most are very conscious about rubbish and, other than climbing tape, are pretty good at leaving things the way we found them. Why is it that climbers don't think tape is trash? I digress...

chrisparedes

Apr 16, 2006, 2:18 AM
Post #3 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

From what I understand, it was the local redneck boys that were coming in at night, being loud, and leaving trash, hence the shutdown of the camping at the top of the mountain. However, you can still camp farther down the mountain near the Lost Wall and just drive and park in the parking lot to head to the boulder field. No big deal, although camping on top of the mountain with a good crowd of people was always a blast.

lowballin

Apr 17, 2006, 8:27 PM
Post #4 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yea your rite about the local rednecks they dont give a damn what they hurt for others.. Im a local and that makes me want to help keep the place open for ever I couldnt imagine no rocktown. I was camping at the foot of the mt and about 2am there was 3 loud trucks running what seemed to be 100 mph up the mt with ppl screming out the windows So that is what kills it for everyone of us. I wish there was a way to make them see the light LOL

weatherm

Apr 17, 2006, 8:57 PM
Post #5 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The redneck crap that goes on in that place sucks. Usually its just some cavers and climbers, but I did camp at sawmill over christmas and there was a big new years party going on. So have they closed the sawmill camp down?? If they have where else can you camp, because at around new years the only place was sawmill and one spot at the base??

lowballin

Apr 18, 2006, 1:33 AM
Post #6 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

No sawmill is open still and the camp at the foot of the mt is open and I heard that it was going to be made bigger. other than that If you go past Jeds station and turn in at The Vulcan Rock company I think there is a place there.. If worse comes to worse for you, you can hike off the road out of site 100 to 200 yards and camp with a fire... They call that back country camping but not on rocktown trail. As bad as it sounds if they would start makein ppl Pay to use the mountian that would help. I wouldnt mind paying a few bucks to have the camp at rocktown back I always enjoyed the campfire sessions with new ppl.....

hillbillywannabe

Apr 18, 2006, 2:01 AM
Post #7 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

i know some guys that got some tickets for driving too fast up there.... yeah they were rednecks. they were havin some fun... but they have seen the light, they realized that place stinks for four wheeling and now go somewhere else i forgot what they called it.

paul3eb

Apr 18, 2006, 2:15 AM
Post #8 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

actually, i've seen climbers do a pretty good job trashing a place. it's nice to think climbers are all good and well, especially with outdoor stuff, but the truth is that, while they're usually better than the average joe, they still do their share of trashing areas. that's not to say it's always intentional: a lot of stuff ends up simply forgotten or not noticed. still, though, climbers vary quiet a bit still with regards to their views on environmental ethics.

it's up to the eighty to ninety percent of us who care a lot about this stuff to pick up after and educate the twenty to ten percent of those who feel or act otherwise..

lowballin

Apr 18, 2006, 2:19 AM
Post #9 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

good point Paul I think we were being a little harsh on the rednecks lol.

lowballin

Apr 18, 2006, 2:23 AM
Post #10 of 10 (1444 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

the rule on the mt even tho its a dirt road are more strict than on county roads. the mt is state so any tickets cost more At the volenteer day ppl couldnt ride in the back of the truck from the ranger station to the pettyjohn cave parkin

Forums : Climbing Disciplines : Bouldering

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook