trebork2
Deleted

Apr 20, 2006, 2:33 PM
Post #1 of 7 (172 views)
Shortcut

Anybody ever lived in Tokyo??
Report this Post
Can't Post

Has anybody here ever lived in Tokyo or around that area??? How is the climbing in Japan?

Partner epoch

Apr 20, 2006, 2:40 PM
Post #2 of 7 (172 views)
Shortcut

Re: Anybody ever lived in Tokyo?? [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In the burbs of Tokyo, I did live for 6 years until last June.

There is some exellent climbing to be had all over Japan. Though getting a guidebook in engrish will be next to impossible, as I am unaware of any. There are a few users on this site that currently are living in that region, most will be willing to head out and get some climbing in. As well within 3 hours from Tokyo. I would reccomend heading to Ogawayama for a weekend, though stay away from that area durring Golden Week. (waaaaaaaay overcrowded)

Why do you ask?

trebork2
Deleted

Apr 20, 2006, 7:25 PM
Post #3 of 7 (172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Because I might be headed that way in September for two years with the military.

oopps

Apr 20, 2006, 9:29 PM
Post #4 of 7 (172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Trebork - where will you be living (which branch of the military are you in)?

I probably have a biased opinion, as Tokyo has been my home since I was ten, but it can be a really great place to live. I don't like big cities, which is the only thing I have against this place, but you have to love it for being so conveniently located. Climbing (rock, with some ice and alpine), skiing, kayaking, surfing, mountain biking, hiking, paintball are all within a couple hours of the city, and mostly accessible by train (the Japanese public transportation system is AMAZING).

Also plenty of people who climb here, and all the ones I know (both Japanese and foreign) are very friendly. There's plenty of rock here, although some of the crags closer to Tokyo can get insanely crowded on weekends (Some days, people on routes next to each other will be waiting their turn to use a particular hold,even). Depending where you are climbing, most of the stuff here is slab (there are places that are exceptions to that) and sport (but most areas have bolted and trad routes). If you're looking for a climbing partner in Japan, PM me.

Hope that helped.

trebork2
Deleted

Apr 21, 2006, 3:45 AM
Post #5 of 7 (172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

oopps - thanks for the info man. I am in the Air Force. I will be working at Narita Airport doing mail control. I find out in three weeks if I get to move or not. I really hope I do because I'm from a small town in Missouri and now I live in Idaho which doesn't have any real big cities. I will most def. get in touch with you if I get to come out. Thanks for the info again.

Rob

bill_in_tokyo

Apr 21, 2006, 8:51 AM
Post #6 of 7 (172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'l second oopps' response - there's plenty of climbing to be found over here. Relatively little multi-pitch, but still more than enough rock to have some fun. And climbable at one crag or another in the Tokyo area year-round.

Drop me a note as well if you end up over here, and let's see what we can put together. If you contact oopps, you'll probably eventually bump into me, since we climb together fairly regularly (or at least did until I tweaked my shoulder last month, but that should be healed soon, I hope).

trebork2
Deleted

Apr 21, 2006, 2:12 PM
Post #7 of 7 (172 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Will do! I really hope I get the assignment. I'd love to come to Japan.

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook