Forums: Community: Campground:
You get what you ask for...
RSS FeedRSS Feeds for Campground

Premier Sponsor:

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

thorne
Deleted

Apr 21, 2006, 2:01 PM
Post #276 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Re: You get what you ask for... [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Bowers was a US SUPREME COURT case, as was its successor, Lawrence v. Texas. Had you clicked on the link I conveniently provided, you would have/should have noticed that.

I really showed my ass on that one. You were right. I was wrong.

Now, how about telling me how about telling me how the BSA has changed from a generation ago.

wjca

Apr 21, 2006, 2:10 PM
Post #277 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I really showed my ass on that one. You were right. I was wrong.

And nobody wants to see that pasty, white thing. Not even the gay dudes that may be lurking in this thread.

bobd1953

Apr 22, 2006, 2:01 AM
Post #278 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Thorne wrote: I really showed my ass on that one. You were right. I was wrong.

Like I said...the point when right over your little, bible-thumping head.

pinktricam

Apr 22, 2006, 4:32 PM
Post #279 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
*Sigh*...labels, labels...

Well, I suppose there's always the option of applying for citizenship in Belgium.

I am sure some of the anti-Christ (no pun intended) comments sting you and thorne and tradman as much as the heterocentric/anti-gay comments sting me. I apologize for, in retaliation, having labeled you as a bigot and homophobe (though that is what your comments demonstrate), if that insulted you. Since you have labeled myself and others (as hell-bound destroyers of decent living) on occassion, hopefully you understand.

Now, in an effort towards understanding each other as human beings and not as labels with contradictory political agendas - here is an open invitation for you to visit me. I will put you up in my home and show you around Europe. Only one rule: I won't preach to you about your lifestyle and you won't preach to me about mine. Since you have gay friends (as I remember from the don't-ask thread) and I have a Catholic mother, we should have practice at that. Right?
I don't know how I missed this earlier. Thank you for your generous and gracious invitation. Though a trip to Europe is not in my immediate plans, I appreciate it nonetheless.

And yes, you're quite right in assuming I don't 'preach' to my gay friends. So, if you ever find yourself in Florida I sincerely extend the same invitation to you.

jeremy9876543

Apr 22, 2006, 9:15 PM
Post #280 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:
Yanqui,

I'm well aware of the case and it's implication. It was about an absurdly out of date law, that was basically unenforced until the Lawerence arrest.

The decision that Lawrence v. Texas overturned in 2003 really wasn't that old, unless 1986 is now considered old.

Separate case, involving a separate law in a separate state. I guess the distinctions are not that obvious... to some. (HEY BOB, PERHAPS YOU CAN GET WJCA TO EXPLAIN IT TO YOU!!!)

Blondie - you do like jumping to fallacious conclusions. In the first pages of this thread, you talked about having a favorable opinion of the BSA of a generation ago, but now they are "overrun by religious zealots as a means of polarizing the organization due to charged political motives".... but you never said how they've changed. Was the BSA (of old) accepting of openly gay and/or atheist troup leaders? Or is this a situation where recent developments were non-issues a generation ago?

Please enlighten me.

In reality the BSA wouldn't have had to change at all from how they started and in todays culture they would rightfully be viewed as "overrun by religious zealots as a means of polarizing the organization due to charged political motives". Our present culture doesn't hold the same values that it did when the BSA started, any one could see that. So maybe its the culture thats overrun with antireligious zealots trying to polarize everybody else.
Juts the other side of the coin.

Perhaps there is a significant difference between the concept of an anti religious zealot and a religious zealot. It seems to me that the religious zealot wants to force his beliefs on others while the anti religious zealot has no beliefs to enforce so is only forcing his government to not be religious, since this happens to be what is written into our constitution I don't see much of a problem. If you have an example of an anti religious zealot trying to use the government to enforce their lack of belief on others or to try to remove the belief from a person, like the religious right does (yes, imposing Christian right beiliefs on our government structures is pushing out the beiliefs of others), then I would be very opposed to this. One thing that Christians miss when they try to say that this is a Christian country is the imposition that this is on others who are not.

pinktricam

Apr 22, 2006, 11:30 PM
Post #281 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Hey jerrymyuh, it's a matter of taking BACK this country. it has strayed far from the Christian nation you erroneously believe Christians think it might be....putz.

jeremy9876543

Apr 22, 2006, 11:44 PM
Post #282 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Hey jerrymyuh, it's a matter of taking BACK this country. it has strayed far from the Christian nation you erroneously believe Christians think it might be....putz.

"Taking back this country"?? From who, in what way? If you mean that the country should be a better nation and should be more moral, I can agree with that. As far as it straying from being a Christian nation, do you really think it ever was? I am absolutely willing to support the good deeds of Christians and their desire to help people be better people. However, there are a number of activities of right wing Christians which to many non-christians are not desirable. Should my tax dollars and government support these secular activities?

vivalargo

Apr 23, 2006, 12:02 AM
Post #283 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

He wrote: "It seems to me that the religious zealot wants to force his beliefs on others while the anti religious zealot has no beliefs to enforce so is only forcing his government to not be religious."

But why? Because he/she believes this is better, truer, more scientific, more humane, and all that jazz. So you ask, "How do you know that?" and you're fed a bunch of shuck and jive, or quotes from authorities, or get stonewalled with technical jargon and screwy re-definitions, or lambasted for having to ask in the first place when in fact very few people know much of anything in terms of broad-stroke, human activities. When you actually look, almost everything to do with human relations is based on beliefs, often fobbed off as "the plain and active truth."

The B.S. of A. believe that if they were to allow gay scout leaders in their ranks the Children of God would run the risk of being sodomized or encouraged, by tacit approval, to sodomize their fellow man. Or you might move up the ladder of beliefs to other beliefs that -- if the sodomy angle is too much (and it is) -- that at the very least gay scout leaders are anti-God and anti-Christian, or bad examples, or just plain bad as described and defined by yet other beliefs based a distored vew of what a gay person actually is. And this last belief is that a gay person is false and inauthentic and mentally, emotionally and sexually diseased. This last belief--homosexuality as pathology--is the last line of defense of the kook and the zealot, and when it's proffered as something different than a belief (for example, at true, as a self-evident fact, et al), you have nothing less than the Devil's work being conducted in the name of God.

Somebody wrote that: ". . . there are a number of activities of right wing Christians which to many non-christians are not desirable." Such activities are also found lacking by many Christians. When literalist interpretations of any sacred text are proffered as "fact," there's alway Hell to pay.

It's totally jackass to even be discussing this in 2006. What the hell . . . are you kidding me?

JL

pinktricam

Apr 23, 2006, 12:06 AM
Post #284 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Should my tax dollars and government support these secular activities?
Your tax dollars already support secular activities. You're probably pretty content that they do.

blondgecko

Apr 23, 2006, 12:25 AM
Post #285 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
He wrote: "It seems to me that the religious zealot wants to force his beliefs on others while the anti religious zealot has no beliefs to enforce so is only forcing his government to not be religious."

But why? Because he/she believes this is better, truer, more scientific, more humane, and all that jazz. So you ask, "How do you know that?" and you're fed a bunch of shuck and jive, or quotes from authorities, or get stonewalled with technical jargon and screwy re-definitions, or lambasted for having to ask in the first place when in fact very few people know much of anything in terms of broad-stroke, human activities. When you actually look, almost everything to do with human relations is based on beliefs, often fobbed off as "the plain and active truth."

The B.S. of A. believe that if they were to allow gay scout leaders in their ranks the Children of God would run the risk of being sodomized or encouraged, by tacit approval, to sodomize their fellow man. Or you might move up the ladder of beliefs to other beliefs that -- if the sodomy angle is too much (and it is) -- that at the very least gay scout leaders are anti-God and anti-Christian, or bad examples, or just plain bad as described and defined by yet other beliefs based a distored vew of what a gay person actually is. And this last belief is that a gay person is false and inauthentic and mentally, emotionally and sexually diseased. This last belief--homosexuality as pathology--is the last line of defense of the kook and the zealot, and when it's proffered as something different than a belief (for example, at true, as a self-evident fact, et al), you have nothing less than the Devil's work being conducted in the name of God.

It's totally jackass to even be discussing this in 2006. What the hell . . . are you kidding me?

JL

:righton:

Well said. Religious-style thinking - "it is this way because I believe/some guy told me/my prejudices say it is" infects, to a greater or lesser extent, every aspect of human endeavour - religious and secular, government and (unfortunately) scientific.

We can't really help it. We're herd animals at heart - we have this built-in drive to follow what the herd leader tells us. Sad really.

jeremy9876543

Apr 23, 2006, 7:36 PM
Post #286 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
Your tax dollars already support secular activities. You're probably pretty content that they do.

Please be a bit more specific.

jeremy9876543

Apr 23, 2006, 7:40 PM
Post #287 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

JL

:righton:

Well said. Religious-style thinking - "it is this way because I believe/some guy told me/my prejudices say it is" infects, to a greater or lesser extent, every aspect of human endeavour - religious and secular, government and (unfortunately) scientific.

We can't really help it. We're herd animals at heart - we have this built-in drive to follow what the herd leader tells us. Sad really.

Please join me in encouraging independant thought. I for one end up saying things that in hindsight might seem kind of stupid, just because my idea isn't fully thought out or was off the cuff. But at least the idea was my own and wasn't just regurgitation.

carabiner96

Apr 23, 2006, 7:50 PM
Post #288 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Ok kids, its been 20 pages, everyone's made their points, time to go to bed and give some other controversy a turn to play.

pinktricam

Apr 23, 2006, 8:07 PM
Post #289 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Please be a bit more specific.
sec·u·lar
adj.
1. Worldly rather than spiritual.
2. Not specifically relating to religion or to a religious body

Get it, now :?:

collegekid

Apr 24, 2006, 6:33 AM
Post #290 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Now that you mention it, I do usually get what I ask for. I'm such a lucky guy.

collegekid

Apr 24, 2006, 6:38 AM
Post #291 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Never fear, blonde one, there's plenty of support still out there...

When I land a job, which won't be too long from now, I plan to support the BSA financially and professionally (as a metal craft merit badge/CPR instructor/anything else they can use) faithfully.

I've had it with the intrusions attempted by this ultra-liberal generation.

troll, but a good one: T2

thorne
Deleted

Apr 28, 2006, 8:25 PM
Post #292 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
What I was addressing was bobd's misleading/s--- posts. Wink

In reply to:
"Texas...not 1894 but 1990's. Right-wing assholes."

And lets not overlook that it took 130 + years and the US Supreme Court to call the law unconstitutional.

What mis-leading...that there are Right-wing A-holes in Texas or the Sumpreme Court calling the law unconstitutional...or that you are my....?

One would have to wonder why that law stayed around as long as it did..so the reference to 1990.

There is nothing misleading in my quotes.

Prove them wrong.

In 1990, half the States (including MA, RI, MD and even DC) had anti-homosexual laws. Were they all Right Wing Assholes?

"It took 130 + years and the US Supreme Court to call the law unconstitutional"? Was there any challenge for the first 100 or so years? By and large, it's constitutionality would have been a non-issue 30, 40 or 100 years earlier. Do you think many people considered it unconstitutional in 1950?

Just wanted to clear that up. :wink:

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Apr 28, 2006, 9:24 PM
Post #293 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In 1990, half the States (including MA, RI, MD and even DC) had anti-homosexual laws. Were they all Right Wing Assholes?

Maybe, however the majority tend to reside in a massive realm comprised of hypocritical political viewpoints.

In reply to:
"It took 130 + years and the US Supreme Court to call the law unconstitutional"? Was there any challenge for the first 100 or so years? By and large, it's constitutionality would have been a non-issue 30, 40 or 100 years earlier. Do you think many people considered it unconstitutional in 1950?

Just wanted to clear that up. :wink:

Well, considering that [officially] until 1969 the main concern on the 'gay' agenda was finding a way to end 'legal' police abuse at bars and in public places, I don't think the issue of the constitutionality of gay marriage was really on the mainstream radar. There's also that minor fact that homosexuality was legally considered a mental disease until the 1970s (or the 1990s, depending on which US affiliated organization you ask)...

And kudos on taking your sweet time in formulating a response; guess you just can't stay away from gay controversy for long without having withdrawals.

thorne
Deleted

May 1, 2006, 12:14 PM
Post #294 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
Maybe, however the majority tend to reside in a massive realm comprised of hypocritical political viewpoints.
How eloquently non-specific. Are you considering a career in politics?

In reply to:
And kudos on taking your sweet time in formulating a response; guess you just can't stay away from gay controversy for long without having withdrawals.
Only as long as those dreams stay away. :wink:

May 1, 2006, 4:13 PM
Post #295 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
How eloquently non-specific. Are you considering a career in politics?

Considering that my response was a direct response to you, I think any lacking in clarity that you perceived is entirely your problem.

In reply to:
In reply to:
Only as long as those dreams stay away. :wink:

What, another unknown side effect of Ambien??

thorne
Deleted

May 1, 2006, 4:28 PM
Post #296 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'll try again:
In reply to:
In reply to:

WTF does your reply have have to do with my question? Do you frequently answer simple yes or no questions with such gaseous hypotheticals?

May 1, 2006, 5:17 PM
Post #297 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
WTF does your reply have have to do with my question? Do you frequently answer simple yes or no questions with such gaseous hypotheticals?

Well, perhaps one day you'll ask a legitimate 'yes or no' question that can sufficiently be answered by a 'yes' or 'no.' In the meantime, I won't provide either/or responses to questions that you've formulated as a means of affirming what you've already convinced yourself of.

thorne
Deleted

May 1, 2006, 5:31 PM
Post #298 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

Well, perhaps one day you'll ask a legitimate 'yes or no' question that can sufficiently be answered by a 'yes' or 'no.' In the meantime, I won't provide either/or responses to questions that you've formulated as a means of affirming what you've already convinced yourself of.

.... baffle 'em with bullshit, eh blondie. :wink:

wjca

May 1, 2006, 5:36 PM
Post #299 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Is this thread still going? It may be time to move on and let this one die, or I may be forced to start up the old google image search.

May 1, 2006, 5:41 PM
Post #300 of 301 (3769 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

.... baffle 'em with s---, eh blondie. :wink:

It really doesn't take much to baffle you, does it?

First page Previous page 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook