reno

Apr 21, 2006, 1:31 AM
Post #1 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Why they lose
Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
"Ahead in polls, Democrats are divided over whether they already have a national theme that tells voters exactly where the party stands."

If'n the Dems don't get on the same sheet of music, they'll lose again.

Partner j_ung

Apr 21, 2006, 2:41 AM
Post #2 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Re: Why they lose [In reply to]
Report this Post
Can't Post

Good call. Much as the Republicans are experiencing a little infighting over "family values" issues, the Dems are struggling with issues like abortion and whether or not to pull out of Iraq.

curt

Apr 21, 2006, 2:43 AM
Post #3 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
"Ahead in polls, Democrats are divided over whether they already have a national theme that tells voters exactly where the party stands."

I think the Democratic strategy is to hope that the Republicans are so hated by November that they can win merely by showing up. They might want to work on that strategy just a little bit.

Curt

reno

Apr 21, 2006, 5:04 AM
Post #4 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

I think the Democratic strategy is to hope that the Republicans are so hated by November that they can win merely by showing up. They might want to work on that strategy just a little bit.

Indeed. They seem to forget (ignore?) that just about anyone the GOP can put up there will be liked more than the current crop, and the current crop has won in the past several elections.

It's quite amazing: I'm the target audience for the Democratic party (single, 30-something, pro-environment, pro-choice, not against gay marriage, etc.,) but they can't give me a reason to vote for them.

Sad, really.

Partner blonde_loves_bolts

Apr 21, 2006, 5:29 AM
Post #5 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

I'd vote for reno... at least over another John Kerry.

8^)

arrettinator

Apr 21, 2006, 3:49 PM
Post #6 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I'm the target audience for the Democratic party (single, 30-something, pro-environment, pro-choice, not against gay marriage, etc.,) but they can't give me a reason to vote for them.

Sad, really.
So, what are the reasons to vote Republican?

traddad

Apr 21, 2006, 7:47 PM
Post #7 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

http://editorialcartoonists.com/...%29%223ZMU4BHX%20%0A

jeremy9876543

Apr 21, 2006, 8:06 PM
Post #8 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Curt

In fact the Democrats can easily gain seats (win) and still end up a minority in both houses. There are mony pundits who think that this is the most likely situation.

reno

Apr 21, 2006, 11:55 PM
Post #9 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Assuming you're asking me, personally, what my reasons are?

I have no earthly idea where the Dems stand on any issue: Will they move for oil shale use in Colorado? Will they move for oil exploration in ANWR? How much of my tax dollars will be spent doing more "research" on energy issues?

Will they advocate changes in the US policy in the Middle East? What changes would they support? What stance will they take? Will they cut and run in Iraq? Will they stay? How long? Will they take on Iran should it be necessary?

Will they raise taxes (again, ala Clinton)? Will they make changes in the expenditures? What changes? Where will they turn to for border security? How will they do that? When will it get done?

Will I lose my right to keep and bear arms? What increased regulations will there be on firearm possession? Will they impose any limits on such polarizing issues as abortion? If so, what limits? Why?

Will we see sensible policy towards radicalism and violence? Will we have a policy of appeasement and "tolerance towards everyone" or will we take the stance of "We'll tolerate you, as long as you obey our laws. Break those laws, and we won't tolerate it..."?

What's their plan for securing the nation against enemies? Do they have the backbone to stand up and fight against our enemies, or will we have "talks" and "statements of protest" when we're attacked again by terrorists?

What... where... who...when... etc., etc., etc. LOTS of questions, but to date, no answers from the Left. Best we've gotten from them is "We're not sure if we have a united policy" and "I voted for it before I voted against it." IOW, waffling, fence straddling, and wavering. Take a fucking stand, hang your hat on it, and then let the people decide if they like it or not.

I may not be all that thrilled with the GOP (and I'm not, popular opinion to the contrary,) but at least I know where they stand. "The Devil you know vs. The Devil you don't know" sorta thing.

pinktricam

Apr 22, 2006, 12:04 AM
Post #10 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

Yeah, what he said^^^^or, rather, asked :!:

jeremy9876543

Apr 22, 2006, 8:03 PM
Post #11 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I have no earthly idea where the Dems stand on any issue: Will they move for oil shale use in Colorado? Will they move for oil exploration in ANWR? How much of my tax dollars will be spent doing more "research" on energy issues?

Will they advocate changes in the US policy in the Middle East? What changes would they support? What stance will they take? Will they cut and run in Iraq? Will they stay? How long? Will they take on Iran should it be necessary?

Will they raise taxes (again, ala Clinton)? Will they make changes in the expenditures? What changes? Where will they turn to for border security? How will they do that? When will it get done?

Will I lose my right to keep and bear arms? What increased regulations will there be on firearm possession? Will they impose any limits on such polarizing issues as abortion? If so, what limits? Why?

Will we see sensible policy towards radicalism and violence? Will we have a policy of appeasement and "tolerance towards everyone" or will we take the stance of "We'll tolerate you, as long as you obey our laws. Break those laws, and we won't tolerate it..."?

What's their plan for securing the nation against enemies? Do they have the backbone to stand up and fight against our enemies, or will we have "talks" and "statements of protest" when we're attacked again by terrorists?

What... where... who...when... etc., etc., etc. LOTS of questions, but to date, no answers from the Left. Best we've gotten from them is "We're not sure if we have a united policy" and "I voted for it before I voted against it." IOW, waffling, fence straddling, and wavering. Take a f---ing stand, hang your hat on it, and then let the people decide if they like it or not.

I may not be all that thrilled with the GOP (and I'm not, popular opinion to the contrary,) but at least I know where they stand. "The Devil you know vs. The Devil you don't know" sorta thing.

I am so sick of Republicans regurgitating the latest talking points. The reason that you don't hear what the Democratic agenda while watching the national news, is because THEY ARE NOT IN POWER AND DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO BRING THEIR BILLS TO A DEBATE, LET ALONE A VOTE IN CONGRESS. The reason that they are spending their time criticizing the republicans for their massive and continual screw ups is THIS IS THE ONLY REAL POWER THAT AN OPPOSITION PARTY HAS AND THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE USING. If you want to find out what their ideas are it took me 20 seconds to find out what their stated agenda is using GOOGLE http://www.democrats.org/...al/security_at_home/. It took you much longer to write your complaint about them not having an agenda than it would have taken for you to find out what their agenda actually is. Maybe you are actually right they do not publicize their agenda in a way that you are likely to come across it (on Fox News which is probably the only thing you watch).

As for Clinton raising taxes use your flippin brain. Is the government using more tax money when they are spending 5 trillion or are they using more when they are spending 15 trillion. George Bush is spending MUCH MUCH more than Clinton ever did. Oh, but I forgot Bush is borrowing it so that's fine, nevermind.

reno

Apr 22, 2006, 8:11 PM
Post #12 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I am so sick of Republicans regurgitating the latest talking points. The reason that you don't hear what the Democratic agenda while watching the national news, is because THEY ARE NOT IN POWER AND DON'T HAVE THE ABILITY TO BRING THEIR BILLS TO A DEBATE, LET ALONE A VOTE IN CONGRESS. The reason that they are spending their time criticizing the republicans for their massive and continual screw ups is THIS IS THE ONLY REAL POWER THAT AN OPPOSITION PARTY HAS AND THIS IS WHAT THEY ARE USING. If you want to find out what their ideas are it took me 20 seconds to find out what their stated agenda is using GOOGLE http://www.democrats.org/...al/security_at_home/. It took you much longer to write your complaint about them not having an agenda than it would have taken for you to find out what their agenda actually is. Maybe you are actually right they do not publicize their agenda in a way that you are likely to come across it (on Fox News which is probably the only thing you watch).

As for Clinton raising taxes use your flippin brain. Is the government using more tax money when they are spending 5 trillion or are they using more when they are spending 15 trillion. George Bush is spending MUCH MUCH more than Clinton ever did. Oh, but I forgot Bush is borrowing it so that's fine, nevermind.

Jeremy:

If you type in all caps and bold font, people are more likely to believe you and agree with you. That's a time-proven technique, and you ought to try it.

pinktricam

Apr 22, 2006, 8:23 PM
Post #13 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

...on another note, I just picked up a copy of Worth the Fighting For, by John McCain. I figure I should become better acquainted with what our next POTUS stands for and believes in.

napoleon_in_rags

Apr 23, 2006, 4:01 AM
Post #14 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
...on another note, I just picked up a copy of Worth the Fighting For, by John McCain. I figure I should become better acquainted with what our next POTUS stands for and believes in.

I like McCain but I don't know if he will get the nomination. If he gets elected in 2008, he will be 4 years older than Reagan when he got elected.

petsfed

Apr 23, 2006, 4:22 AM
Post #15 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

I like McCain but I don't know if he will get the nomination. If he gets elected in 2008, he will be 4 years older than Reagan when he got elected.

I don't think he'll get elected because he's not an everyman figure. That and he's too moderate for the Christian right to support (voting block size not withstanding, the Repub. victory was largely credited to the conservative Christian community). I believe him and trust him, but GW beat him out for reasons that had nothing to do with qualifications and everything to do with how palatable he can be made to the vast majority of people. The democrats can't produce a nationally palatable canidate that agrees with their positions, while the republicans can get any church going country boy (or somebody who sounds like one) into office because that's what the vast majority of the voting populace is or wants to be. McCain is too cosmopolitan to win. But if he made it onto the ballot in 2008, I'd vote for him, and I'm liberal and reasonably well educated.

reno

Apr 23, 2006, 2:13 PM
Post #16 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
But if he made it onto the ballot in 2008, I'd vote for him, and I'm liberal and reasonably well educated.

Likewise.

Lieberman, too.

pinktricam

Apr 23, 2006, 8:02 PM
Post #17 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
I don't think [McCain]'ll get elected because he's not an everyman figure. That and he's too moderate for the Christian right to support (voting block size not withstanding, the Repub. victory was largely credited to the conservative Christian community)...
Actually, from what I've been reading recently, McCain's been getting very cozy with the Christian Right and it's been pissing his moderate Republican base off.

As far as being an "everyman" figure, I think a LOT people will sympathize with his ex-POW hero status and the dignity that comes with it.

petsfed

Apr 24, 2006, 5:04 AM
Post #18 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
I don't think [McCain]'ll get elected because he's not an everyman figure. That and he's too moderate for the Christian right to support (voting block size not withstanding, the Repub. victory was largely credited to the conservative Christian community)...
Actually, from what I've been reading recently, McCain's been getting very cozy with the Christian Right and it's been pissing his moderate Republican base off.

As far as being an "everyman" figure, I think a LOT people will sympathize with his ex-POW hero status and the dignity that comes with it.

Then how come he lost the nomination to Bush, of all people? McCain used Democrats as his primary campaign group for christ's sake.

arrettinator

Apr 24, 2006, 1:37 PM
Post #19 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:

What... where... who...when... etc., etc., etc. LOTS of questions, but to date, no answers from the Left. Best we've gotten from them is "We're not sure if we have a united policy" and "I voted for it before I voted against it." IOW, waffling, fence straddling, and wavering. Take a f---ing stand, hang your hat on it, and then let the people decide if they like it or not.

Let me rephrase my question. What are the things the Republican party stand for that you would vote for them?

And, if you can't find the Democratic stance on all those issues then you must not be aquainted with http://www.google.com

Also, the right to bear arms will never be taken away. If you trully believe that, well, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

dynosore

Apr 24, 2006, 5:35 PM
Post #20 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

The right to bear arms was taken away a long time ago. If you don't believe it, strap on a six shooter and take a stroll down a street in anytown, USA. Clintoon and the illegal gun ban of the 90's was one more step in a long road.....

I really don't like what the Repub party has become in a lot of ways, but the Democrats keep lowering the bar even faster, if you could nail down what they stand for in the first place. Democrats lose, pander even more to the extremists in their party, drive away more voters, repeat, .....

jeremy9876543

Apr 24, 2006, 5:43 PM
Post #21 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
The right to bear arms was taken away a long time ago. If you don't believe it, strap on a six shooter and take a stroll down a street in anytown, USA. Clintoon and the illegal gun ban of the 90's was one more step in a long road.....

I really don't like what the Repub party has become in a lot of ways, but the Democrats keep lowering the bar even faster, if you could nail down what they stand for in the first place. Democrats lose, pander even more to the extremists in their party, drive away more voters, repeat, .....

http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gif
Blaming Clinton, wow that's original.
http://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gifhttp://img320.imageshack.us/img320/1589/h0209bk.gif

wjca

Apr 24, 2006, 5:56 PM
Post #22 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

I saw a redneck this weekend wearing a tank top that said "Right to Bare Arms".

arrettinator

Apr 24, 2006, 6:02 PM
Post #23 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
As long as I have a permit, I can. And I remember the gun ban being 100% legal. You must live in a different US than I do.

collegekid

Apr 25, 2006, 5:08 AM
Post #24 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:

Jeremy:

If you type in all caps and bold font, people are more likely to believe you and agree with you. That's a time-proven technique, and you ought to try it.

Reno, did you even click on the weblink?

Quit pretending to be a liberal, and just admit that you vote republican because you're a republican.

Based on your logic, it's far better to have more of the worst president and worst political party in history than to face the potential for change????

Here's some capital letters for you (I know how they irritate you so):
WAKE THE FUCK UP YOU FUCKING IDIOT. BUSH HAS FUCKED OUR COUNTRY OVER MORE THAN ANY OTHER PRESIDENT IN HISTORY, AND THE PEOPLE BACKING HIM (I.E. REPUBLICANS) HAVE STOOD BY AND WATCHED FOR THE PAST 5 YEARS AS THEY LINED THEIR POCKETS WITH LOBBYIST'S MONEY. OUR COUNTRY IS IN THE HOLE, SERIOUSLY, AND THE COUNTRY IS FACING A MASSIVE ENERGY CRISIS WITH NO RESOLUTIONS TO PREVENT IT. OUR EDUCATION SYSTEM HAS BEEN GOING SOUTH FOR YEARS NOW. OUR ECONOMY IS IN THE HOLE, WE'RE UP TO OUR EYEBROWS IN DEBT, OTHER NATIONS ARE INVESTING IN THE EURO INSTEAD OF THE DOLLAR, GLOBAL WARMING IS AT THE TIPPING POINT (WITH REPUBLICANS, ONCE AGAIN, STANDING AROUND AND IGNORING IT) AND ALL YOU HAVE TO SAY IS "WELL, AT LEAST I KNOW WHERE THEY [REPUBLICANS] STAND"???????!!!!!!!!! PLEASE EXPLAIN TO ME HOW THIS IS LOGICAL!!!!!!

Edit:

Perhaps you're not really an idiot. Maybe you have stock in Halliburton, and are currently piling up your wealth.

collegekid

Apr 25, 2006, 5:18 AM
Post #25 of 30 (962 views)
Shortcut

Report this Post
Can't Post

In reply to:
In reply to:
In reply to:

Curt

Actually it's working. In the recent special election to replace Cunningham (rep from my district in San Diego) the Democrat got 44% of the vote, closest republican got ~15%. Mind you, this is a highly conservative (i.e. rich, and very very heavily gerrimandered) district in San Diego; Approximately 20% of the voters switched from Republican to Dem. People are definitely not going to be voting strictly along the lines of their previous affiliations next time around.

It's only too bad that the runoff election will probably guarantee a victory for the republican candidate.

By the way, Curt, do you happen to own stock in Halliburton, Oil, or some other affiliate of the Bush administration? That's the only reason why I could see a rationally thinking individual supporting the republican party at this point in time. I take your negativity towards the Dem's to mean that you don't support their efforts.

First page Previous page 1 2 Next page Last page  View All

Forums : Community : Campground

Search for (options)

Username:
Password: Remember me:

Go Register
Go Lost Password?

Follow us on Twiter Become a Fan on Facebook